Marketing & Consumerism

Heath and Potter’s book, Nations of Rebels, reminded me just how consumer oriented that I am. I’m a typical American that unfortunately allows manufacturers marketing to influence how and what I buy. Reading this book and answering the questions that the authors asked allowed me to see just how much branding and marketing influences the culture and world around us.

Chapter 7 of the book resonated with me and that it focused on looking for the next cool thing, such as a product or social status. The authors asked for us to “think back to a time you bought something that was a little too expensive and why did you buy it?[1] When reflected upon this question, the answer came up with is “because I wanted it.”. As Westerners we have developed the philosophy that we must have it now no matter what the cost. With this bad ideology we have become a people of indebtedness, as we no longer believe we should have to wait or experience delay to get what we want or desire. We have bought into the lie, that we deserve this minute, by advertisers and manufacturers who are selling their products and goods.

Apple is a great example of a company where marketing influenced their success.  Steve Jobs took Apple computers from a bankrupt company and made them a multi-billion-dollar organization through the power of advertising and marketing. He had the ability to cast his vision and was able to influence millions around the world into believing in his dream, which was a home computer in every household. Many manufacturers distribute the same general product as Apple, so Apple had to creatively differentiate their product from that of Dell, Sony, or HP. What makes them different from their competition is that Apple sells and markets their brand & ecosystem in a way that connects to the manner in which consumers live.  They convince others that their product is the best in the world, and that it will make their lives better. Apple has been so successful in their marketing that others have started copying their marketing and advertising tactics.

Apple’s marketing and branding is so successful that it has achieved what some would call a “cult following” of individuals around the world.  Phrases such as, “once you go Mac you never go back” have become synonymous with Apple’s products.  I must admit that I am one of these people who buy into the marketing that these manufacturers come up with.  I have many times purchased products solely on advertisement.

The church has also bought into this world of consumerism. Even Christmas has turned into a “shopping event.”  As leaders within the church, we need to raise awareness around consumerism.  We cross an unhealthy line when we make purchase decisions on “what we heard” without taking the time to vet out the truth.  We have become a people of followers, instead of leaders and thinkers.  This pattern of thinking crosses into the way we process messages from the pulpit.  People tend to believe theology that is presented or marketed well, whether or not it is correct.  Or, they fall victim to the idea that “if others believe it then so should I”.

Richard

[1] Heath, Joseph. Potter, Andrew. Nation of Rebels Why Counterculture Became Consumer Culture. HarperCollins Ltd. New York, NY (2004) p. 188

Richard Volzke