Leaders that Inspire

Simon Walker’s book Leading with Nothing to Lose was very informative this week. It discussed different forces and how they work together in leadership: front stage versus back stage, [1] strong versus weak [2] and expanding versus consolidating [3]. After the introduction of these forces, and how nobody is just one or the other of any one of these, Walker jumps into eight types of leadership models or eight strategies of power using different combinations of these forces. [4] In part two of his book he gives a well-known example of a leader that exemplified a particular strategy well.

In the paragraphs which follow, I will take a closer look at two of the leaders and the strategies that Walker identified: Abraham Lincoln and Jimmy Carter.

Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth president of the United States. [5] He was born in 1809, and died in 1865, near the end of the U.S. Civil War. [6] His nickname was “Honest Abe”. [7] Interestingly, in 1982, forty-nine historians and political scientists were asked to rate the U.S. presidents from George Washington to Jimmy Carter in five different categories. The categories were: leadership qualities, accomplishments/crisis management, political skills, appointments, and character/integrity. Abraham Lincoln took first place! [8] Sadly, if the task had been given before his death in his own political day, he would have scored very poorly. [9] He simply was not regarded highly until right after his death. [10]

Of leadership, he said, “It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.” [11]

Of this type of leadership, Walker says it is primarily backstage, strong and consolidating. [12] To implement this strategy, he recommends that one first establish a culture of ownership and membership from the start. [13] Second, you need to begin to delegate responsibilities to others. [14] This step is difficult for me. I tend to take on tasks myself and have difficulty delegating things to others to do. It makes me feel “bossy”. Third, he suggests enabling the group to take responsibility for the behavior of individuals. [15] And finally and very importantly, I believe, enabling people to take individual responsibility for the consequences of their actions. [16] In my own opinion, there seems to be a general lack of individual responsibility in the world today. It always seems to be someone else’s fault when things happen – no matter what that something that happened might have been. These are good steps for leaders to consider.

Jimmy Carter

Jimmy Carter was born in 1924, and has lived nearly one hundred years, though he is on hospice right now and not doing very well health wise. [17] His tenure as president was a turbulent one, due mainly in part to the hostages that were held in Iran during that time. [19] There was also an energy crisis, inflation rose, and there was a war in Afghanistan. [20]

I was very young when Jimmy Carter became president, just learning to write. My father was a staunch democrat. I remember writing to him after he became president and congratulating him. He actually wrote me back! He told me he hoped as I got older that I would continue to be interested in politics and what goes on in the White House. I was very impressed with him as a little girl.

Of his leadership style, Walker says it was Carter’s instinct to listen rather than to command. [21] He was truly a servant leader.

While in office, in his Crisis of Confidence speech, he said, “We simply must have faith in each other, faith in our ability to govern ourselves, and faith in the future of this nation.” [22]

Though Jimmy Carter’s tenure in the White House was plagued with difficulties, he became even more famous after leaving the white house, simply employing the same ideals of serving that had been the backbone of his office to his life outside of the White House. He poured himself into a little known nonprofit company, Habitat for Humanity.

In giving an interview with the Habitat for Humanity, Carter said, “I have learned that our greatest blessings come when we are able to improve the lives of others, and this is especially true when those others are desperately poor or in need.” [23]

Jimmy Carter was a dynamic example of a servant leader. He poured himself out as a drink offering for the sake of others, as the apostle Paul said that he did in Philippians 2:17. [24]

There were other examples in Simon Walker’s book. These were two of my favorites. Walker suggests that we master all eight strategies [25], and learn when to use each of them in our leadership roles [26]. For me, I think mastering each of these strategies is really the challenge.

__________________________________________________________________

[1] Walker, Simon P. 2007. Leading with Nothing to Lose. Carlisle: Authentic Books, p.11.

[2] Ibid, p.19.

[3] Ibid, p.23.

[4] Ibid, p.31.

[5] Burlingame, Michael. “Abraham Lincoln: Impact and Legacy.” Miller Center. UVA, 2023. Last modified 2023. Accessed September 9, 2023. Link.

[11] Sander, Emily. “Abraham Lincoln: Quotes on Leadership.” Next Level Coach. Last modified November 13, 2018. Accessed September 9, 2023. Link.

[12] Walker, Simon P. 2007. Leading with Nothing to Lose. Carlisle: Authentic Books, p.38.

[13] Ibid, p.42.

[14] Ibid, p.43.

[15] Ibid, p.44.

[16] Ibid, p.45.

[17] Strong, Robert A. “Jimmy Carter.” Miller Center. UVA, 2023. Last modified 2023. Accessed September 9, 2023. Link.

[21] Walker, Simon P. 2007. Leading with Nothing to Lose. Carlisle: Authentic Books, p.73.

[22] Carter, Jimmy. “Crisis of Confidence Speech.” Miller Center. UVA, 2023. Recording of July 15, 1979. Accessed September 9, 2023. Link.

[23] Carter, Jimmy. “A Glimpse at What Inspires President Carter.” Habitat for Humanity. Last Modified 2023. Accessed September 9, 2023. Link.

[24] Crossway Bibles, ed. 2007. ESV: Study Bible: English Standard Version. ESV text ed. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Bibles, p.1481.

[25] Walker, Simon P. 2007. Leading with Nothing to Lose. Carlisle: Authentic Books, p.137.

[26] Walker, Simon P. 2007. Leading with Nothing to Lose. Carlisle: Authentic Books, p.140.

Tonette Kellett

Missionary, teacher, Bible student, traveler ... Having lived in Kenya and Korea, I now live in Mississippi and work with the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.

4 responses to “Leaders that Inspire”

Tonette,
    Thank you for high lighting the two presidents, Abraham Lincoln and Jimmy Carter! Great job!

Isn’t it something…Abe Lincoln wasn’t popular until after he died. This gives me hope in some ways. I might not think that I am the best leader but I am curious what my family in the future might say.

I needed to hear this:
    “Of leadership, he said, “It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong.”
    This quote describes how it felt for me to start the doctorate program.

I appreciated hearing how Jimmy Carter wrote you a letter! That had a big impression on you. He is a great role model of continuing to lead and serve after having the office of president. I want to remember him and his efforts with Habitat for Humanity.
    You mentioned not delegating well. I am curious how you are growing in this and possibly finding this to assist you in your role as a teacher/leader in the school system?

• Tonette Kellett says:

Kristy,

Delegating … 🙂 … well, I still don’t delegate well, but I’m trying to do better every day. So there’s that. I know it’s necessary, so I try to get others to assist me as much as possible.

Great post! Your comments on Abe made me think….Why do you think it takes someone to die to look at them differently?

• Tonette Kellett says:

Alana,

That’s a good question, I think we don’t know what we have in a person until we don’t have them any longer. We take them for granted. When they’re gone, it’s then that we realize we should have known what we had in that person. It happens all the time.