Keeping Healthy to Learn.

I have always been very keen on issues about healthy living and I have read alot about keeping healthy in a wholistic way. It’s common knowledge among my friends that I am well informed on matters of health and they consult me frequently. I fear that when I am finally conferred the Dmin degree, many might confuse me for a medical doctor. There is common saying in our community that a doctor cannot treat himself and it seems true in my case because I find myself violating the rules of healthy living once in a while, especially in not getting enough sleeping hours. the need to have enough sleep, eating the right diet and exercising as part of getting organised to learn therefore caught my attention and I could not help thinking what a paradox it is, that we have to keep a balance in the midst of lots of pressures of life.

Its a common thing for me to read through the night in order to cope with my leadership, family, social and studying responsibilities because they are all important. Having to keep healthy to keep healthy in order to maximize my learning can only add to the pressures I have to cope with, yet I have to keep a balance as a leader and be a role model to the leaders that I am mentoring in the church and in our ministry organization, Missions of Hope International. I appreciate the wholistic approach that Rowntree takes in explaining how to study and learn effectively, and have to take responsibility as a leader to keep the right balance and maximize my learning in this doctoral program without compromising my health and my other responsibilities.

I thought that I had learnt alot through the previous books that we have read but I realise that I have to increase my appetite for learning and arm myself with the right attitude to learn. As Christian leaders in our different capacities, I believe its important for us to keep a good balance to be effective in our leadership responsibilities and increase our influence in our communities. How many times do we find ourselves taking things for granted only to find ourselves undermining our leadership, because our lack of knowledge in certain aspects like personal financial management make financially embarrassed. I find myself dealing with issues of finances among leaders and church members that could be avoided if we were well equipped with the necessary knowledge, that is all in scripture, just like Hosea 4:6 says that my people perish for lack of knowledge. Some of the most common issues I encounter are debts, theft of church money, manipulation of church members to give in church, misinterpretation of scriptures for personal gain, and more.  I am glad that we are being equipped with the right knowledge to succeed in our doctorate program but I am all the more inspired to pursue my dissertation topic on financial literacy and avail this knowledge to many. I am passionate about this topic because of my personal bad experience with debts, despite of my financial background as a CPA and the many cases of financial stress I encounter in and out of  the church. My financial reprieve in overcoming debts and knowing how to manage finances was a journey of a long search for answers, which to my surprise I did not find them in financial books but in scripture. How I pray that as we learn how to study and apply the same with diligence, that we will seek to understand God’s word and rightly declare it like workmen that need not be ashamed. I am persuaded that just like we are learning so much from reading Rowntree’s book, Learn How to Study, I should be able to research and write a  biblically acceptable and missiologically applicable financial literacy book.

Wallace Kamau

Wallace is a believer in Christ, Married to Mary Kamau (Founder and Executive Director of Missions of Hope International) and father to 3 Wonderful children, Imani Kamau (Graduate student at London School of Economics, UK), Victory Kamau (Undergraduate student at Portland state University, Oregon, USA) and David Kamau ( Grade student at Rosslyn Academy). Founder and Director, Missions of Hope International (www.mohiafrica.org), CPA, BAchelor of Commerce (Accounting) from University of Nairobi, Masters of Arts (Leadership) from Pan African Christian University.

8 responses to “Keeping Healthy to Learn.”

I too don’t always get enough sleep Wallace. It is one of the best ways we can take care of ourselves . . . let’s both try and do better!

I agree that financial wisdom is one of the things that troubles so many people and so many communities of faith. Aligning vision with financial resources has always been one of the most time consuming financial activities of the places I have served. Can’t wait to read your book!

Wallace,
    Thanks so much for your insights and reflective thoughts. Yes, it would appear that we are constantly being stretched and challenged beyond our current state in this doctoral learning process. I so appreciate your wise insight that in the midst of giving more time to reading and writing (i.e., studying and learning), we must be ever aware of taking care of our whole person. Diet, exercise, sleep and other health markers are often devalued or dismissed in the face of ministry responsibilities and opportunities. I have always had a great interest in financial literacy and look forward to your research, your dissertation, and your eventual book. Blessings on you and your efforts, dear friend. H

3. Digby Wilkinson says:

Hello Wallace. was there a particular part of Rowntree’s balanced approach to studying and learning that you found most helpful? Like you, I am a night owl when it comes to reading a writing. One of the things Rowntree suggests is having a particular space in which to work. I guess it’s also true that we need particular times that work for us too. I have both, fortunately, but I must admit to enjoying writing in cafes with a view!

4. Karen Rouggly says:

I appreciated your insights Wallace. I think most of us would say that it’s easiest so struggle through our own wholistic wellness when getting through this program. Like Harry, I’m curious about what you will write about!

5. Hi Wallace. Thanks for your post as it reminded me of fond memories as a young boy preparing for exams in school. I know, it’s strange that I would have fond memories of exam prep.

Believe me, I never looked forward to the actual exams. What I looked forward to was the extra special attention I got from my mother.

Days leading to examination day she would make sure that I was reminded to get a good nights rest. She said my brain would function better in the morning than at night. I didn’t question it; it made sense to me back then that it’s become part of my study habits. Plus, she would prepare my favorite breakfast that day. I might not have remembered anything I was supposed to recall on examination days but I did feel loved.

6. Shermika Harvey says:

Wallace I currently serve as the Church Administrator at our church in charge of finances, human resources, and church oversight while doing ministry there as well. Sleep is something that escapes me at times due to the workload, ministry functionality and maintaining a balanced family and spiritual life. Studying has added another element to the mixing pot. But as Karen and Digby, I’ve found space for reading and studying. Just haven’t mastered the sleep deprivation at this time.

Thank you, Wallace. Unfortunately, in my work with churches I too experience many of the challenges you reference in regard to poor stewardship and even ethical failures. I appreciate your drawing our attention to how we can apply Rowntree’s insights to learning more about the Scripture and how it practically applies to our lives.