Justice, Mercy, and Humility

“He’s the best thing God could ever give to America!” It is a rare moment when I am speechless. It took me a moment to respond. I was at a church speaking to the children about my life in Africa. One of the teachers was telling me of the “horrific” state of America. His comment above was about a political leader in a high position at that time. I had a strong contrary opinion on this person but knew it would not be productive to debate. Instead, I responded with a statement I believe to be true: “I’m thankful God gave us Jesus and the hope He brings despite any direction our society is going.” This response worked! It diffused the conversation and allowed me to graciously step away from it. This was an “ah-ha” moment for me. I realized that the culture in America had changed from the one I left almost a decade prior. I felt like a foreigner in my own home country. The culture was becoming more polarized in opinions and less skilled in listening to others. A few years have passed, and the culture has continued to shift.

Current cultural shifts are central to Yascha Mounk’s book, “The Identity Trap.” Mounk focuses on how current societal expectations and pressures towards “identity synthesis,” understanding one’s true self and identity, are causing polarity and segregation by focusing on differences and allowing those to separate us.[1] He gives examples primarily focused on American society with a few references to other contexts. The issues he addresses can be seen worldwide. Let’s go across the ocean, to where I currently call home, the Republique Islamique de Mauritanie (RIM).

RIM is a country that usually only makes it into books, as it did in The Identity Trap, as the last country to officially abolish slavery in 1981.[2] The practice was not criminalized until 2007 and continues to affect society to this day. Social justice issues in Mauritania are prominent in this young country.  There was a brutal “ethnic cleansing” of black West Africans from 1989 to 1991.[3] I have friends who lived through this real-life nightmare. Slavery and racism are commonly at the root of riots, political uprisings, and demonstrations in RIM. These societal divides affect life at all levels. There is a newfound desire to preserve the distinct ethnicities, languages, and identities that constitute RIM society. This past weekend, several university students presented on language and ethnic preservation and the importance of these in the educational system. One of the professors mentioned the value not just of language preservation and uniqueness, but also the need to come together as Mauritanians. Celebrating differences and coming together as a society was also one of Mounk’s solutions to his “identity trap.”[4] In the book conclusion, Mounk suggests three ways to counter polarity and segregation:

1. “Claim the moral high ground.”
  2. “Do not vilify those who disagree.”
  3. “Remember that today’s adversaries can become tomorrow’s allies.”[5]

As I ask myself, “What does this mean for me?” I am drawn to the first point. As a follower of Jesus, “[claiming] the moral high ground” first starts by letting God change my heart. Micah 6:8 challenges each of us on what the Lord requires of us: to do justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with [our] God. In my opinion, when there are extreme confrontations and disagreements on any societal issue, there is an imbalance of these elements: justice, mercy, and humility.

Cornell Law defines legal justice as “the ethical, philosophical idea that people are to be treated impartially, fairly, properly, and reasonably by the law and by arbiters of the law, that laws are to ensure that no harm befalls another….”[6] Personal application: am I doing my best to show impartial, fair treatment to everyone around me? When I am not, am I taking responsibility for my actions and motives?

“Mercy” in Micah 6:8 uses the Hebrew word חסד (hesed). “Hesed” is translated into English using words like mercy, kindness, compassion, and devotion.[7] The meaning is difficult to translate as it has a profound sense in a way that God displays his love and compassion for us.[8] When I am discriminated against because of my gender or my skin color, am I showing deep, loyal unfailing compassion and mercy to that person? Here is where I have an imbalance.

Lastly, am I walking humbly with my God? Cambridge Dictionary defines humility as “not being proud because you are aware of your bad qualities.”[9] Am I walking in a way that reflects my dependency on my God’s goodness, His promises, and His sovereignty? Again, another area in my life that needs improvement.

Society will continue to shift and change. The change in society that Mounk desires to see where there is freedom of speech, individuality, and collaboration is noble. What he is missing is the underlying need for a Savior. We cannot change the societies around us until we allow radical change to happen individually. May God continue to work in my heart so that others may also find the hope, healing, and reconciliation that only Jesus can offer. RIM will see change when individual members understand and embrace the love and freedom that Jesus offers. America will see change when followers of Jesus consistently follow His example.  My world will change as I grow in doing justice, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God.

________________________________

[1] Yascha Mounk, The Identity Trap: A Story of Ideas and Power in Our Time (New York: Penguin Press, 2023), introduction.

[2] Ibid, chapter 15.

[3] “Ethnic Cleansing in Mauritania,” NPR World, June 5, 2007, https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10741476.

[4] Mounk, chapter 7.

[5] Ibid, conclusion.

[6] “Justice,” LII / Legal Information Institute, June 2023, https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/justice.

[7] Edward W. Goodrick and John R. Kohlenberger III, Zondervan NIV Exhaustive Concordance, ed. James A. Swanson, Second Edition (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 1999).

[8] Avital Snow, “The Meaning of Hesed: Hebrew Word for Love,” May 27, 2021, https://firmisrael.org/learn/the-meaning-of-hesed-hebrew-for-love/.

[9] “Humility,” Cambridge Dictionary, March 6, 2024, https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/humility.

Kari

Kari is a passionate follower of Jesus. Her journey with Him currently has her living in the Sahara in North Africa. With over a decade of experience as a family nurse practitioner and living cross-culturally, she enjoys being a champion for others. She combines her cross-cultural experience, her health care profession, and her skills in coaching to encourage holistic health and growth. She desires to see each person she encounters walk in fullness of joy, fulfilling their God-designed purpose. “Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.” Romans 12:12 ESV

16 responses to “Justice, Mercy, and Humility”

1. Jeff Styer says:

Kari
    Yes American society has changed. I am glad that God gave you the right words and attitude in that moment. Micah 6:8 is a great verse to live by. I also think of John 20:21, As the Father sent me, so I send you. John Stott believes this to be The Great Commission. Reflect back on all Jesus did and we are being called to do the same. He confronted injustice, he spent time with those society had marginalized, he fed the hungry, he healed the broken not just physically but also through his words. He promoted the Kingdom of God, he challenged people to love others first, and to live righteously. As an NP living in RIM, what are ways you see yourself living out John 20:21.

• mm Kari says:

Hi Jeff,
      My NPO and research are based off of the things you shared in your comment. Concerning your question, this week I visited an autistic center, tried to show the students dignity, and encouraged the teachers. Today, I gave water to a beggar woman who was at my doorstep. This coming week I hope to meet with a friend who is hopeless and grieving and share with her Who can offer her hope. At the clinic, I worked endlessly to make sure that each and every patient received care regardless of their race, financial situation, or who they knew. My prayer is each time I spend time with someone, they will sense that they are known and loved by their Creator.

2. Christy Liner says:

Hi Kari, you have a unique perspective that some of your classmates do not. I read Mounk through a context of American politics, but I imagine you read it much differently. Is there anything that you did not agree with? And if yes, why?

• mm Kari says:

Hi Christy,

Where I believe Mounk is mistaken is what he proposes through the efforts of people. I believe true hope and healing for humanity will only come through the Prince of Peace.

3. Daren Jaime says:

Kari! Thanks for sharing. Sometimes, I end up in the same predicament as you, recognizing that taking a particular position will not materialize in a fruitful debate. Mounk’s writing is certainly a prompter towards the debate position. I love how you inserted God into the equation.
    As I think of Jesus and his advocacy for the sinner, the poor, and others, do you believe there is a way to reach Mounk’s objective from a spiritual vantage point?

• mm Kari says:

Hi Daren, thanks for your comment. My NPO is on servant leadership and Scripture is full of examples of how Jesus included the marginalized, fought for justice, showed compassion and mercy, and shared hope for a broken world. If Christians truly followed Jesus’ lead as The Servant Leader and humbly and sacrificially served others, we would see transformation in society beyond anything Mounk desires. Perhaps it would look similar or maybe radically different because the motive and the outcome would be for the glory of God and not for man.

4. Julie O'Hara says:

Hi Kari,
    Thanks for sharing that bit about Mauritanian history. I wondered about it when I read the disturbing fact in the text. No question here, just thanks for illuminating.
    Julie

5. mm Chris Blackman says:

Thank you Kari, for your post. It is almost like you are living in the Identity Trap in the young country RIM with all of the struggles it is going through.
    As followers of Christ, we all hope for better things to come, but I couldn’t help but feel some sadness over nonbelievers and where the world seems to be heading today.
    All of the questions that pop into my head over your writing all point to a relationship (or lack thereof) with Jesus. That is the only hope I have. No other questions for you. Just saying thanks for giving me a lot to ponder.

• mm Kari says:

Chris, you are so right–everything, especially with identity, does point back to a relationship with Jesus. Ramadan starts today. May those who do not know Jesus desire a relationship over religious practices.

6. Debbie Owen says:

Kari, thank you for this honest post. What a place in which you live! And also… what a place in which we live! There is always need for even more justice, mercy, and humility.

I commend you in your restraint in the story at the top of the post. Unfortunately, there are so many polar opposites in the US right now – and obviously, around the world as well – that it is hard to see ourselves as all belonging to God. It makes me think of Jesus telling his followers to “love your enemies.” When my “enemy” is someone whose views are so antithetical to what I believe as a follower of Jesus, that can be very challenging.

God bless you in your mission and in your role. May he continue to bless you with the ability to live out justice, mercy, and humility.

• mm Kari says:

Thank you for your comment, Debbie. It is so hard when beliefs go exactly opposite from Scripture’s teachings.

Isaiah 9:2 is helpful to me, “The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shone.”

I found it helps me picture those who are not following Jesus stumbling around in darkness having no idea where they are going. It encourages me to be a light of Truth to them to help them find their way through Christ.

7. Akwese says:

Hey Kari, I really appreciate you offering so many wonderful perspectives. I also love how you take his three ways to counter polarity and segregation and explain what they mean for you, doing so through the use of scripture. I agree that the radical change we need must start within us individually as we learn to “understand and embrace the love and freedom that Jesus offers.” I’m curious to know your thoughts on how we do this for people who don’t share your same understanding of what doing justice, loving mercy, and walking humbly with God looks like?

• mm Kari says:

HI Akwése, thank you for your comment. My comment above to Debbie may partially answer your question on how I view those not following Jesus.

For my own response, I need to (continuously) remind myself that I am only responsible for myself and I am accountable to God. I am often misunderstood because of what I feel God is inviting me to do, even with those who claim to be Christians. The closer I get to God, the less it bothers me to be an “outsider” in any community. The more I am sure of my identity in Christ, the more I can connect to others, especially those different from me.

With especially difficult people, I pray for direction and try to “love my enemies” and keep a distance. It is not worth throwing pearls to swine.

8. Chad Warren says:

Kari, I appreciate how you filtered an approach to the current Identity Trap presented by Mounk through the lens of Micah 6:8. Very cool! I also appreciate your sharing that this tendency toward Identity Synthesis is seen throughout the world. It seems the problem is universal, and the need for a savior is universal, and with that, the response found in Micah 6:8 can be universal. Thank you for your thoughts!

• mm Kari says:

I appreciate your kind words, Chad.
      “Let the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you [God] judge the peoples with equity and guide the nations upon earth.” Psalm 67:4