Jesus as the Ultimate Differentiated Leader

A Failure of Nerve by Edwin Friedman is a thought-provoking leadership book that is just as relevant today as when it was first published privately more than 20 years ago. Friedman asserts that leaders (whether in families, organizations or society-at-large) must differentiate themselves and not fall prey to the anxious characteristics of our times. Specifically, he listed five characteristics of anxious leaders and showed how behaving in the opposite way is how leaders can have the most positive impact.[1]   To help me sort through Friedman’s hypothesis, I decided to look at the ultimate leader, Jesus, and see if the Biblical accounts of His life provided any evidence of the anxious characteristics that Friedman deems so detrimental to leadership today, or if Jesus had the differentiation that Friedman applauds.

Reactivity
Friedman posits that the most obvious characteristic of an anxious leader is their hyper-reactivity to people and events.[2] In contrast, Jesus typically showed a calm, deliberative response. There are instances recorded in scripture where He reacted out of righteous anger–overturning the tables in the temple, as one example.[3] But Jesus generally displayed the self-regulation of instinctual drive that Friedman says is imperative to successful leadership. 

Herding
The second characteristic that Friedman tells leaders to avoid is herding around the least mature or vulnerable.[4] Of the five characteristics I examined, this is the one I had most difficulty reconciling when it came to Jesus because He often rallied around those who appeared inferior.  Think of the parable of the lost sheep where the shepherd leaves the strength of the flock to find the one who has gone astray.[5] Perhaps the difference is that Jesus sought the vulnerable in order to give them HIS strength, not to leave them to wallow in their weakness. In this light, He did, indeed, show adaptation toward strength.

Blame Displacement
Jesus definitely did not point fingers in order to avoid the deeper work of transformation as Friedman suggests that anxious leaders do.[6] Instead, Jesus got to the root of issues and called it out accordingly. His response to challenges was always growth-producing.

A Quick-Fix Mentality
I also see in scripture that Jesus never took the easy way out. In some cases, He did provide immediate solutions like healing a disease or expelling a demon, but one must remember that He was the Son of God. He offered the long view in most circumstances and reminded His followers of God’s timing in His redemptive plan. That is definitely an example of allowing time for processes to mature.

Failure of Nerve in Leadership
Finally, Jesus used His influence to call out those who abused power, provided hope to the captives and offered life to the full to those who would follow His leadership, even to the point of underserved death on a cross. Not once did His nerve fail. In fact, I can think of no one with more differentiated leadership than He. 

The comparison between Jesus’ leadership and the principles in Friedman’s book isn’t perfect, but I can’t think of any greater example to follow. Jesus’ leadership will always be a timeless measuring stick for any leader to grow toward. Combining His example with Friedman’s theory is great place for all leaders to begin.

[1] Edwin H. Friedman, A Failure of Nerve Leadership in the Age of Quick Fix (New York: Church Publishing, 2017), 68.

[2] Friedman, 69.

[3] Mark 11:15-18, Luke 19:45-47, John 2:14-16

[4] Friedman, 74.

[5] Matthew 18:12–14, Luke 15:3–7

[6] Friedman, 83.

Laura Fleetwood

Laura Fleetwood is a Christian creative, certified Enneagram Coach, doctoral student at Portland Seminary and Creative Director at her home church, Messiah St. Charles. As a published author, national faith speaker, podcaster and self-described anxiety warrior, Laura uses storytelling to teach you how to seek the S T I L L in the midst of your chaotic life. Find Laura at www.seekingthestill.com

9 responses to “Jesus as the Ultimate Differentiated Leader”

1. mm Daron George says:

Hi Laura,

This comment stood out to me in your post “The comparison between Jesus’ leadership and the principles in Friedman’s book isn’t perfect, but I can’t think of any greater example to follow. Jesus’ leadership will always be a timeless measuring stick for any leader to grow toward.”

What area of Friedman’s book and the leadership of Jesus stood out to you the most? and Why?

Great post!

• The answer to you question is actually what sparked the direction for my post! When I hear the term “non-anxious presence” that Friedman uses again and again, Jesus is the first thought that pops into my mind. As an apprentice of Jesus, I’m often imagining Him at my side as I go about my day and He is always a non-anxious presence in my life. I try my best to have the same aura about me in my parenting and leadership, but of course fail daily! I do think it’s a great goal, though and I see Jesus as my ultimate example of what it looks like to live out.

Fantastic post, Laura. I really enjoyed the flow and examples using the best leader of all times. It really brought Friedman’s book to a Biblical Light. I’m glad you didn’t shy away from his anger that He showed in the temple and I’m forever stealing “righteous anger.” I’m often torn by this scene and although I agree with His motives and love that He wasn’t going to put up with the disrespect, however, I think that if I started turning over tables at church I may not be viewed as a strong role model or leader. I’m seriously tempted to sometimes when I see too much of a market or any kind of disrespect. Do you think it’s okay to behave this way if it’s rightous? He clearly knew what he was doing so was this shown to us to give us the reactivity “green light” on Godly disrespect?

3. Laura, I like how you viewed Jesus as the ultimate leader and those five characteristics that Friedman put forth for a differentiated leader. The Bible is clear that our Lord Jesus is for “the least of these.” “Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me” (Matthew 25:40, 45, NIV). Our compassionate High Priest is a model of Servant Empathic Leadership.

4. mm Audrey Robinson says:

Lara,
    We can never go wrong using Jesus as our example and trying to understand how Jesus responded in situations.
    Great post.
    Audrey

Hi Laura,
    Thanks for your post! I like the way you took the time to walk through Friedman’s characteristics that are detrimental to leadership and discuss Jesus’ life and example in light of this list. It also makes me wonder a bit about Friedman’s ideas and specifically, as you pointed out, his thoughts on catering to the weak. I find myself wishing that Friedman had put this book together, as opposed to his friends and family, so that he could have explained his thinking more clearly, especially on some of these challenging concepts.

In reading Friedman, I couldn’t help but think about comparisons to the “ubuntu” approach and also leadership by consensus. I wonder what we could come up with if we looked at Jesus’ life, as you did with Friedman’s ideas, in light of ubuntu and consensus.

Thanks for your post, Laura!

Laura,

I loved that you chose to look at Jesus as the ultimate example of a leader and each of Friedman’s characteristics. What a fabulous idea! Which characteristic of Friedman’s would you say was the most challenging for you to find examples from the life of Christ to use as a model? Again, excellent post!

Hi Laura,

Blame displacement is one that Jesus seems to avoid regularly. He often get right to the point and names the issue at hand. This can be a challenging in our culture of “feedback sandwich” and hyper understanding.
    What has been helpful for you to lead yourself as you lead others?

Laura, I like how you analyzed Jesus as the ultimate differentiated leader.

“Not once did His nerve fail. In fact, I can think of no one with more differentiated leadership than He.”

So true. How do you think leaders in the Church fails to follow the example of Jesus as a differentiated leader? I know, big question. I am more pondering the question than looking for a reply.