Jasné body na obzore, Bright Spots on the Horizon

Jasné body na obzore, Bright Spots on the Horizon (Slovakian)

Introduction

Part 1:  What my peers are saying

Part 2:  Impact on my NPO

Epilogue

Introduction – Ukrainian War, Israeli War, and war with Iran? Syria? Yemen?   The world’s crisis’s have been impinging on my mind.  The Bosnian war, Iraq 1 and Iraq 2  memories seep back into my mind distracting me from Matthew R. Petrusik’s, Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture[1]

Signpost – I have come to discover that my peers allow me to view our reading from beyond my limited scope of the world, I have chosen two below to serve as guard rails for my perspective.

Part 1 – What my peers are saying.

DLGP02 – Jonita Payton (my hero), writes, “I share this for the purpose of helping you understand the evolution of the term “stay woke” as I have experienced it. Its origin has a history that has since morphed into something completely different.  It was meant to remind us to be safe out in the world and remain alert and aware of the injustices in the world. Remain alert to clear and present dangers. The word has been weaponized, actually bastardized for political traction. It has become such a polarizing term that very few of my African-American friends/colleagues use it anymore.”

DLGPO2 – Esther Edwards writes, “Petrusek’s insights help us, like Daniel, understand the opposing ideologies that we are surrounded with…to be in the world but not of it. However, Petrusek makes it clear that, in the end, the purpose is evangelism, the spreading of the good news of the gospel of Christ. We don’t need to be angry or isolate ourselves. But rather we should patiently tend the soil by our responses and attitudes so that the Word of God can take root and flourish in those around us.[2]

Signpost – As we put pen to paper on our NPO’s  I am “uber/over” focused on how our readings impact the focus on NPO on Immigration.  Such a broad topic, and to narrow it down, a part of my study is hosting an Immigration Symposium at Dallas Baptist University on March 9th.  The goal is to look at Immigration through a biblical lens.

Part 2 Impact on my NPO

Petrusek in his video Idolatry of Identity series: https://www.wordonfire.org/videos/idolatry-of-identity/lecture-1-wokeism-the-frankenstein-of-political-ideologies/  brought to the fore the issues of Identity and the process to accumulate power for that tribe.

This reinforced my thoughts on how US political parties have used Immigration as banner cry to bring voters to their side of a topic.

Especially in an election year, Immigration has become the stomping ground for presidential candidates.  The tension between state and federal rights is making headline news and the emergence of TRIBE politics is riding the American Highways as the “take back the border” convoy heads from Virginia to California.

Christian nationalism (is perceptually) a force aligning itself with the MAGA party.

In his conclusion, he writes, “Either our politics is grounded in and oriented to God as our true good and true source of happiness or it is grounded in and oriented to something other than God, which tantamount to grounding it in an idol. (p. 483).  He goes on to say, “The call to evangelize the political culture as well…” (p.484)

This echoes the statement that Dr. Stu Cocanougher (a graduate of the program) said to me in a recent interview.  He asked, “Is politics influencing the church (on immigration) or is the church influencing politics?”

Petrusek then goes on to give me advice for the potentially hostile elements that may attend my symposium.

1. Try to avoid attacking “bad people” and focus on attacking bad ideas instead.” (p.464)
  2. Employ the Socratic method to engage in debate. “This position is completely incoherent.” He writes, will likely shut down the conversation before it can even get started.   He instructs…”the Socratic method Is usually the best technique for engaging in a conversation tht you hope will lead to an agreement.  The Socratic method entails asking sincere questions and looking for sincere answers with the goal of attaining both definitional and logical clarity.
  3. Seek Clarity, not simplicity (p. 467)
  4. Be disposed to learn something new. (p. 467)
  5. Be a happy warrior. (p.469)
  6. Don’t be afraid of courage. (p. 470)
  7. Don’t compromise the faith to gain a (temporary) ally. (p.472)
  8. Be ready to make strategic retreats and take shelter (p.474)
  9. For God’s sake, don’t make everything about politics.

Dr. Clark mentions a “third space.” I find it so intriguing because rather than diving into an argument/debate, this space allows the student/NGO or whatever, to see both sides of an argument but through the eyes of Christ.

Steve Briggs at Focus on the Family mentioned to me that if we can get people to see life (as in the unborn child, his area of expertise) and perhaps the immigrant, as made in the image of God, then perhaps the political issues fade away.

Epilogue

The clouds of war obscure my sight these days, and yet there are bright points of light that pierce the darkness.

Penuel (where Jacob wrestled with God) a Christian Soccer league in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine,

OCR, in Hungary where one of our 11 year old girls placed second in the Spartan Obstacle competition.

Our 28th year in Slovakia.

God is Good.

_________________________

[1] Matthew R. Petrusik’s, Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture

[2] Matthew R. Petrusik, Evangelization and Ideology: How to Understand and Respond to the Political Culture, 459.

Russell Chun

interlinkt.org is now ready for your Refugee Resettlement needs. 15 tasks, languages ESL plans coming

One response to “Jasné body na obzore, Bright Spots on the Horizon”

Hi Russell,
    I really admire you for tackling such a complex issue for your NPO. You mentioned the “Third Space.” How do you conceptualize the third space help when discerning and addressing people on both sides of the immigration issue?