It is a war zone and the church is missing in action!

Is the title a hyperbolic overstatement or a kind asessment.  Actually, the church may be absent without leave: AWOL.  As I read Nohria’s book and especially the chapter entitled “Pursuing Authentic Leadership Development” I wondered how the church was engaged in leadership development.  The author of the chapter, Bruce J. Avolio, wrote that “we are on the precipice of a ‘war of leadership talent’ perhaps unrivaled in human history.’”  My experience agrees with his declaration.

I kept reviewing in my mind the many hundreds of churches that I have visited, many with which I had leadership interaction.  There were an alarming few that may have given even a smattering of attention to the subject.  The dire need for leaders is sad enough, let alone knowing that the Bible is a powerful resource to easily meet the need for developing ‘self aware leaders.’  If Avolio is right that all of the leading leadership interventions focus on developing the leaders’ self awareness, then the church should be at the forefront of putting forth a strong philosophy of leadership development with a powerful component focused on developing the leader’s self awareness.

Biblical leadership begins with dying to self and embracing life in Christ.  A christian’s identity could be coined one’s “in-dentity.”  In Galatians 2:20, Paul put it this way, “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.”  Avolio refers to a book by James Burns where he talks about a transformational leader as being one who develops his followers.  Jesus Christ was such a transformational leader and His life in us desires to continue developing others.  This can and will happen, as long as one’s “in-dentity” is fully intact; when one’s identity is founded in the person of Christ and His life living in and through us.

What is the importance of this Biblical input?  Avolio points out that it is the charismatic leader who has the capacity to develop others.  And those who are “morally uplifting” are the good charismatic transformational leaders.  He points out that many “good” ones end up being pseudo-transformational leaders; those who are not genuine and end up using others to advance their own power/agenda.  They are good at putting on the outward appearance of a transformational leader but were more shadow than substance.  Here is where the Biblical input can shine.  

When Moses came down from the mountain his face shined.  He covered his face with a veil.  It seemed the right thing to do.  But what was he really doing?  He covered his face so that the people would continue to view him with God’s glory still reflecting from his face.  But that glory began to diminish.  Moses did not want the people to see that the Lord’s glory was diminishing on his face.  So he put the veil on.  Leaders today put veils on their faces so that people do not see their weakness.  Yet Paul said, “for when I am weak, then I am strong” 2 Cor. 12:10.  

Avolio further addressed the key question as to whether the leader is the product of nature or nurture.  As a result of continuing research in his work with colleagues, he finally rests on the findings that the answer is yes, transactional and transformational leaders are more made than born.  It seems the church should take this que and with great encouragement develop a strong leadership development philosophy that can inform ministries to identify leaders with appropriate capacity.  It can then put resources into their development in order to experience a true “return of development investment.”

Avolio reminds us that “Prior to the advent of corporate training centers, coaches, and leadership trainers, much of what passed as leadership development occurred in context.”  He goes on to write that there is a return to leadership devleopment in context.  It is my hope that the church joins this trend.  Specifically, I mean that the local church should take the brunt of respsonsibility by doing real discipleship and then leadership development with those out of that pool of disciples as over against relying solely upon the academy for training.  Indeed, by Avolio’s standards, many in the academy are not adequate to train having never been practitioners!  There is a place for the academy and it should not be burdened to do all the work of the local church in leadership development.

This approach will heighten the “RODI” and should be a natural for the local church context.  In the early discipleship stages “positive mind-set regarding leadership development” can be instilled in disciples this enlarging the pool of potential leaders.  This is the process of developing strong followers and is right on the path that Avolio points out is needed to develop more and effective leaders.

Where are you church?  This is a no brainer!  You have answers to the important questions for the development of transformational leaders.  Leaders who are reflective and genuine and who develop other leaders like themselves.  There is a war of talent for which we have the resources to meet and there is a spiritual war into which we can unleash competent leaders.  Are we present for duty?

Nitin Nohria;Rakesh Khurana. Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice (p. 762). Kindle Edition.

gfesadmin