Inviting God to Safeguard Me from My Defaults

Shane Parrish begins his book Clear Thinking by revealing a common misconception we often hold. We mistakenly believe that the future will work out if we get the big decisions right. Guilty as charged! However, Parrish argues it’s the ordinary moments that determine our future. [1] In Clear Thinking, Parrish draws lessons from the wisdom of others and his own experiences. Parrish writes, “Each moment puts you in a better or worse position to handle the future. It’s that positioning that eventually makes life easier or harder.” [2] Ultimately, Parrish supports the idea that we can position ourselves to think clearly. Positioning ourselves well allows us to make better decisions and turn ordinary moments into extraordinary results.

To position ourselves to think clearly, we must first identify our defaults. Parrish warns readers of four defaults, also known as the enemies of clear thinking. These include the emotion default, the ego default, the social default, and the inertia default. [3] This post will not present the specifics concerning the emotion, ego, social, or inertia defaults but rather what can be done to manage them well. Fortunately, Parrish suggests our defaults can be reprogrammed. He writes, “The good news is that the same biological tendencies that make us react without reasoning can be reprogrammed into forces for good.” [4] As a follower of Jesus, I believe a Holy Spirit reprogramming must also occur. In the Christian’s decision-making, we can ask God to enter the space and give wisdom and clarity. As I nodded to Parrish’s Clear Thinking, I also leaned on Henri Nouwen’s Discernment and the need for wisdom from above when making decisions in ordinary moments. Discernment is a collection of Nouwen’s firsthand experiences of finding God’s guidance. I find Nouwen’s reflections a Spirit-driven compliment to Parrish’s practical human lessons in positioning ourselves well for decision-making.

Parrish speaks to the safeguards that protect us from our defaults. He suggests a correlation between safeguards and a person’s ability to think clearly and make good decisions. Parrish states, “Overriding your defaults requires implementing safeguards that render the invisible visible and that prevent you from acting too soon. And it requires cultivating habits of mind—accountability, knowledge, discipline, and confidence—that put you on the right track and keep you there.” [5] Developing safeguards requires intentionality on the part of the individual. However, for Christians, there is a deeper spiritual aspect concerning safeguards. Following Nouwen’s reflections in Discernment, he speaks to the power of daily liturgy and prayer. Nouwen writes, “Our prayers are directed not to ourselves but to Another, who wants to turn us around, who longs to be present, and who is able to guide us. The one who prays to God pierces the darkness and senses the source of all being.” [6] Nouwen recognized the importance of bringing God into the ordinary moments, trusting he was God’s beloved child. In Discernment’s foreword, Robert Jonas describes Nouwen’s path of discernment as one that led to a less chaotic life with less anxiety and fear. It was a daily practice. [7] Nouwen writes, “Discernment of spirits is a lifelong task. I can see no other path to discernment than to be committed to a life of unceasing prayer and contemplation, a life of deep communion with the Spirit of God.” [8] The intentional, disciplined communion with God is pivotal in the Christian’s life. Nothing protects me more than inviting God to safeguard me from my defaults.

Both Parrish and Nouwen write from their experiences, each displaying a pursuit of wisdom. Each emphasizes the importance of ordinary moments. Parrish speaks to the practical human wisdom we can implement daily, while Nouwen seeks divine wisdom from above. As a Christian, I recognize the importance of both. However, I see the invaluable benefit of prioritizing wisdom from God while navigating defaults. I discussed in a recent blog post a traumatic break-in that occurred at my house on Friday, April 5th. Until that moment, I thought my environment was secure. However, during this process, I watched myself shut down. Before the break-in, I was delighted with all that I had implemented in my personal life this semester. I felt well-balanced and confident that I was conquering my defaults. However, the break-in showed me this can crumble in a moment. I needed something, someone more powerful. I cannot imagine living the past few weeks without God’s guidance and clarity in decision-making. I greatly appreciate Parrish’s wisdom concerning awareness of our defaults and ways to safeguard against them. His practical lessons teach us how to position ourselves well. I will continue to put these into practice. However, I believe there is a spiritual aspect that can position us best, safeguards that are most secure in God’s presence.

[1] Shane Parrish, Clear Thinking: Turning Ordinary Moments into Extraordinary Results (London: Penguin Publishing Group, 2023), p. xi, Kindle Edition.

[2] Shane Parrish, Clear Thinking (London: Penguin Publishing Group, 2023), p. xiv, Kindle Edition.

[3] Shane Parrish, Clear Thinking (London: Penguin Publishing Group, 2023), p. xiv, Kindle Edition.

[4] Shane Parrish, Clear Thinking (London: Penguin Publishing Group, 2023), p. xiv, Kindle Edition.

[5] Shane Parrish, Clear Thinking (London: Penguin Publishing Group, 2023), p. 246, Kindle Edition.

[6] Henri J. M. Nouwen, Discernment: Reading the Signs of Daily Life, (New York: HarperCollins, 2013), p. 336, Kindle Edition.

[7] Henri J. M. Nouwen, Discernment (New York: HarperCollins, 2013), Kindle Edition.

[8] Henri J. M. Nouwen, Discernment (New York: HarperCollins, 2013), p. 21, Kindle Edition.

Elysse Burns

16 responses to “Inviting God to Safeguard Me from My Defaults”

1. Graham English says:

Elysse, I have appreciated your writing and have learned a lot through your blogs. I am so sorry for the break-in that occurred.

I appreciate that you brought in the work of Henri Nouwen. Some of his books have been real treasures for me. I agree that the Holy Spirit plays an important role in our transformation. Most of our discipleship has been informational but information doesn’t transform us. How would you help a new believer begin the journey toward life transformation?

• Elysse Burns says:

Hi Graham, Thank you for your kind words. As I was working on the syntopical essay for Dr. Clark, I was reminded of Oxford and Dr. Clark’s thoughts on the sublime. I would recommend that new believers get into a space to experience the sublime and turn their thoughts upwards. I believe this can come through silence and solitude or spending time in nature. I do believe there is transforming power in having those experiences with God.

2. mm Ryan Thorson says:

Thank you Elysse. I’m so sorry this break-in occurred. I admire the way you are processing it in relationship to the other things that you have learned this semester, and relying in the Holy Spirit to safeguard you. Have their been particular passages of Scripture or ways of praying that have been your default during this challenging time?

• Elysse Burns says:

Hi Ryan, Thank you for your kind comments. The first passages of scripture I went to were Psalm 23, Psalm 91, and 2 Corinthians 1:1-11. Additionally, worship music helps my heart and mind focus on God’s sovereignty and protection.

3. Adam Cheney says:

Elysse,
    Thanks for bringing Nouwen into the discussion. I was trying to think of other books that Parrish might be connected to and I felt like I was missing something. Maybe it was Nouwen. Since the break in, what practical application have you made to safeguard yourself from those defaults? Has there been a new or adapted disciple you have changed?

• Elysse Burns says:

Hi Adam, The practical steps I have taken are not to Google search “surviving home invasions” and not dwell on the “What-ifs.” I turn on worship music, which helps ground me. I also read the Psalms—anything to get my heart and mind focused on God’s sovereignty and protection. A discipline I have re-implemented is being more consciously aware of my surroundings.

4. mm Chris Blackman says:

Elysse, thank you for a great post. I loved that you brought Nouwen into it. I liked “Thinking Clearly” but just couldn’t put my finger on what’s missing – that is, until I read your post. When I read your statement, “However, I see the invaluable benefit of prioritizing wisdom from God while navigating defaults.” I thought, “That’s it!!” I do see valuable tools in what Parrish writes, and I can and will use some of them, but none of that holds up against trusting God with the decision with prayer, meditation, fasting, or by whatever means. I have taken steps trusting God that I would never have thought of myself. Thank you for letting me see the light!!
    No questions. Just a bravo!!

Elysse,
    Oh boy, how many of us are guilty as charged? I know I am ….

I’m so sorry that you have been dealing with the trauma of a break-in. Prayers for you as you navigate the situation and your well-being.

I love that you focused on the “how.” Now that you have connected Nouwen’s writing to Parrish with regards to safeguarding, how will you implement them so you don’t fall prey to bad decision-making, as best as you can? You mentioned positioning yourself well. What are some small things you can do to move into a place of intentional positioning that safeguards your mind, body, and soul?

Blessings to you.

• Elysse Burns says:

Hi Nancy, The aftermath of the break-in made it very hard to concentrate. I had trouble praying and reading scripture, which upset me, as reading the Bible is one of my favorite things to do. Something I have talked about a lot but have failed to implement is adding a creative outlet to my daily schedule. I play the guitar a bit, and implementing more personal worship through song would add a more creative element to my somewhat practical schedule. I also enjoy cooking. I am thinking of hosting more meals with friends. I have done this in the past, but it was nothing consistent. These are just a couple of ideas.

6. mm Kari says:

Elysse, thanks for bringing a spiritual dimension to Parrish. It’s been a hard journey, but we’re both learning from it! What spiritual safeguard(s) are helping you the most through this situation?

• Elysse Burns says:

Hi Kari, When I feel tempted to Google “surviving home invasions” or get caught up in the “what-ifs,” I turn on worship music, which helps ground me. I also read the Psalms—anything to get my heart and mind focused on God’s sovereignty and protection.

7. Christy Liner says:

Hi Elysse, thanks for your vulnerable post. I’m so sorry for the traumatic break-in.

You made a big decision to move to Mauritania years ago, and I’m sure that involved a lot of prayer, wisdom from trusted friends and family, and discernment.

Now that you are post break-in, what are the day to day ways that you can set yourself up for success in Mauritania?

• Elysse Burns says:

Hi Christy, Something I have tried to do in Mauritania is set up a life-giving, safe space. My house was that space. I think that’s what made the break-in feel so violating. However, I am working to redeem the space and I believe it will get there. I have been pondering the day-to-day and what can make it more life-giving. I play the guitar a bit and I believe implementing more personal worship through song would add a more creative element to my somewhat practical schedule. I also enjoy cooking. I am thinking to start hosting more meals with friends. I have done this in the past, but it was nothing consistent. These are just a couple of ideas.

8. mm Jennifer Eckert says:

This was such a wonderful post, Elysse. You are a rock star doing God’s work in such a tough place. Bless you! I’m part of your fan club.