“Interessanterweise sind unsere beiden Autoren (Adler und Ahrens) Deutsche.”

Translation: It is interesting to note that both our authors (Adler and Ahrens) are German.

Part 1, Sönke Ahrens, How to take Smart Notes

Grade: A

Sönke Ahrens sparked my interest as many of his Smart Note taking points are “informed” as he says, by his focus on Philosophy of Education.  I am building an Immigration/Integration phone APP based on a dominant English as a Second Language (ESL) Theory written by – Krashen and Terells (1970), called Comprehensive Input.   This includes many of the education points such as external scaffolding and background information that connects into a lattice network of interconnected topics.  The education points help in retention and in my case, with English vocabulary and dialog that facilitates the refugee’s integration into US Society.  For a short summary of Krashen’s theory see the following blog for the major points. https://www.leonardoenglish.com/blog/comprehensible-input#toc-7

Ouch, that was a bit geeky.

After reading his book, I wandered onto YouTube to see if he had produced anything.  I listened to his “Interview and Q&A with Sönke Ahrens on How to Take Smart Notes”, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXnR7qX3BDc.  I was relieved to hear that while he is a fan of Luhmann, that there is a seismic mental shift for those graduate students who came late to the process of Luhmann’s Zettelkasten (German: “slip box”, plural Zettelkästen).  While his book is very specific, he realizes that most current doctoral students already have a method of note taking.  He urged that people take what they can from Luhmann’s process but warns against a massive restructuring of notetaking already done.

Fortunately for me, this book catches me as a “Newbie.” Lots of bad habits, but willing to learn.

With pen in hand (or in my case) hand on keyboard, I believe that the intentional method of smart note taking lends itself to purposeful writing.  He shatters my world is stating that taking Smart Notes is the precondition to break with the linear order (p.61).  Good grief, I am the king of linear and working from the “bottom up” rocks my world.  In the spirit of making connections, however, I wonder if Mungers idea of a lattice network of ideas enabling better retention might also help our elderly prevent dementia?

Ahren, also  taught me two new words. Endergonic Reaction – when the game itself gains momentum, pulling us along and sometimes even energizing us, and Kakorrhaphiophiobia – The fear of failure (p. 65). My life is complete.

Part 2.  Adler, Mortimer and Van Doren, Charles, How to Read a Book.

Grade: A

Adler’s book, “How to Read a Book” has influenced many of my previous instructors.  So, tidbits of inspectional reading have been trained into me.  However, it was nice to finally meet the source of the “reading” masters.  I finally can put a name to the face of: Elemental Reading, Inspectional Reading, Analytical reading and Synoptical reading.

Why both Adler and Ahren’s book are not mandatory reading for the beginning college student is a mystery to me.  I wasted so much time in my reading and the lack of proper note taking took a toll on my time and mental well-being.  It is a shame that I was reading “wrongly” for research purposes.

Adler’s book comes at pivotal point as I begin compilation of articles, blogposts, and books that support my US immigration research.  I was asked by the World Relief Church Mobilizer, Matthew Sorens to investigate why churches were not responding to the biblical mandate to respond to refugees coming to America.  Although I felt overwhelmed at such a research topic, thanks to Thomas Wedell-Wedellsborg’s book, “What’s your problem?”  I reformatted the problem to answer the question, “What would it take to encourage uncommitted churches to develop a plan for refugee engagement.”  While many churches are open to “orphans, widows and the alien amongst us” (Deuteronomy 10:18), they just don’t have a plan, and as the saying goes, a mission without a plan is just a wish!

I share this because I am OVERWHELMED at the literature supporting different opinions that pastors, church associations, and non-governmental organizations (both Christian and not) have on the refugee situation here in the United States.  I am garnering UNHCR statistics on refugees and displaced persons (I am looking forward to the book on how to read numbers), US immigration policy on legal and illegal immigration, and review of all of these documents was bringing me to tears.

Gratefully, I have been introduced to Zotero (bibliographic reference) and the Obsidian (note taking program for literature notes).  Prayerfully, I will be able to understand and use the digital programs so that I can put together some cohesive thoughts in developing a phone app that will help both the refugee and the people who are supporting them in integration into the United States of America.

Shalom, y’all!

Russell Chun

interlinkt.org is now ready for your Refugee Resettlement needs. 15 tasks, languages ESL plans coming

6 responses to ““Interessanterweise sind unsere beiden Autoren (Adler und Ahrens) Deutsche.””

Russell,
    Thank you for finding the additional Ahrens video. It was comforting for me to hear modifications are allowed. My note-taking has always been messy and unorganized. I have been feeling overwhelmed with how to start taking research notes for my project. I wished the sample pictured in his book were not in German. It would have been nice to see how he organized his thoughts and organized his cards. Have you discovered any modifications to the Zettelkasten method that might work for you? I agree that my note-taking world got turned upside-down after my inspectional reading of the book.

The version of the book I have for Ahrens, has the cards in German and English. However, the cards seemed rather cryptic (Although I do read German, I did not find his system of labeling helpful). He clearly had mental short cuts that elude me right now.

A “Newbie.” Lots of bad habits, but willing to learn. I’m right there with you.

For some reason your statement brought back memories of being in my middle school’s library and taking notes by creating 3×5 cards, one idea per card, of course. I’m reminded of Denise from cohort 01 (I think?) saying that she has stuck with the old 3×5 card system throughout her research, and sometimes I’m tempted to do the same. There’s something that I love about physically touching and moving my ideas around.

But like you, like most of us, I’m trying to learn a new way of thinking and a new way of doing things. To that end, I’ve been using LogSeq as my note-taking software. It’s similar to Obsidian, but I found it more approachable. There’s still a steep learning curve. You know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.

Hi Kim, I opened up Obsidian and the black screen made me cringe. I may look at LogSeq. I downloaded Zotero, and am populating my library, but when I tried to use it for my post, I couldn’t find the button to make it work. I am being dragged into the 21st century! Born in the Territory of Hawaii I wonder if I am up for this!

5. Scott Dickie says:

Your blog post and comments sparked a relatively obvious truth that I had not recognized or named previously (the unconscious becoming conscious): While we dive into learning (Course content), we are also learning how to learn (How to read and take notes) and also learning how to use the tools that are required (by GFU) or available to help us learn (How to blog, use Obsidian, other necessary tech requirements or tools). It’s no wonder many of us are feeling slightly overwhelmed at present! I anticipate the learning curve reducing slightly as we all find our routine in that third area.

I am right there with you Russell. I am taking it all in and recognizing that there is a learning curve. It’s challenging for my personality type. I love that you read and speak German…it’s awesome. Thank you for sharing additional resources. We are in this together, my friend.