Intent vs Impact: Does one trump the other in appraising colonialism?

Oxford professor, Dr. Nigel Biggar offers an appraisal of British Colonialism in his 2023 book, Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning.[1] His thesis is that contrary to popular opinion, the British Empire largely had good intentions when it came to expanding their power and influence around the world. He emphasizes that they did not set out to conquer the world in a spirit of domination, oppression, racism and violence. Rather, Biggar posits that the British Empire largely made decisions throughout history to protect their boundaries, people and resources just like all countries do. He states,  “No one woke up on sunny morning in London and said, ‘Let’s go and conquer the world.’ In that sense, the British Empire was not from its inception a coherent project, methodically developed out of some original plan.”[2]

Biggar’s defense of British Colonialism (which almost wasn’t even published) comes as a counter narrative to mainstream, modern voices who frequently paint western colonialism as an evil part of history that still has tentacles today in the war on racism, violence and oppression. In an interview with John Anderson, former Deputy Prime Minister of Australia, Biggar shares how his publisher wanted to indefinitely postpone the book because “public feeling is unfavorable.”[3] Biggar walked away and subsequently found another publisher who took the project. In terms of public option, this shows that Biggar’s thesis in Colonialism is certainly a counter-cultural message.

The Pros and Cons

I am conflicted about Biggar’s take on British Colonialism. On one hand, I have a more comprehensive understanding of the impact that colonialism had on the world and I appreciate Biggar’s perspective that some good things such as democracies, law and order, education, and security were results of colonialism. My own country –the United State of America—is a direct result of British colonialism and for that I am thankful.

On the other hand, I can’t help but reflect on my time in Cape Town South Africa and what I learned from the people there. While Britian was not the first to colonize Cape Town, it’s influence still lives in the wounds and scars of twentieth century apartheid. I recall listening to Desmond Tutu’s collogues as they shared his journey of speaking truth to power and Nelson Mandela’s autobiography, Long Walk to Freedom. Because of colonialism, Mandela and thousands of others had to chose between education and survival or their heritage, family and tribes. This quote from Mandela is etched upon my soul,

I had no epiphany, no singular revelation, no moment of trust, but a steady accumulation of a thousand slights, a thousand indignities, a thousand unremembered moments, produced in me an anger, a rebelliousness, a desire to fight the system that imprisoned my people. There was no particular day on which I said, From henceforth I will devote myself to the liberation of my people; instead, I simply found myself doing so, and could not do otherwise.[4]

Whether intentional or not, it is clear that colonialization stripped millions of humans of their dignity and their way of life.  Author Kanan Malik wrote this in a review of Colonialism, which sums up my angst about the book, “He (Biggars) accepts the claims of colonial administrators that the people over whom they ruled were too “backward” to govern themselves.” [5] What would the world look like now if the British empire had not colonized so much of it? We will never know, but I believe there would be mch beauty that is missing today.

Does Intention Trump Impact?

This is the question that lies of the heart of Biggar’s book and all human interaction, really. If I offend someone with my words, but that wasn’t my intent, does that mean I do not need to apologize or that I am morally justified? I don’t believe that is true. Individuals, organization and countries are accountable for their actions even if the intent was noble and things somehow go wrong. I appreciate Biggar providing another persective on British Colonialism. It was a reminder that actions are rarely all good or all bad and that identity politics simplify history to fit a narrative. The closing statement I can think of for this topic is the quote by Soren Kierkegaard, “Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”

So let us acknowledge, lament, and mourn the sins of the past, but then move on taking the lessons with us, so the suffering was not in vain, but fuel to propel us to a brighter future.

[1] Nigel Biggar, Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning (London: William Collins, 2023).

[2] Biggar, 388.

[3] Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning | Nigel Biggar, 2023, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhNonmBA0Lo.

[4] Nelson Mandela, “Long Walk to Freedom” (New York: Flash Point/Roaring Brook Press, 2009), 95.

[5] Kenan Malik, “Colonialism by Nigel Biggar Review – a Flawed Defence of Empire,” The Guardian, February 20, 2023, sec. Books, https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/20/colonialism-a-moral-reckoning-by-nigel-biggar-review-a-flawed-defence-of-empire.

Laura Fleetwood

Laura Fleetwood is a Christian creative, certified Enneagram Coach, doctoral student at Portland Seminary and Creative Director at her home church, Messiah St. Charles. As a published author, national faith speaker, podcaster and self-described anxiety warrior, Laura uses storytelling to teach you how to seek the S T I L L in the midst of your chaotic life. Find Laura at www.seekingthestill.com

11 responses to “Intent vs Impact: Does one trump the other in appraising colonialism?”

1. Laura,
    Incredible post of weaving history into present political issues we face today. Like you, I have conflicting emotions with this book.

Way to go!

2. mm Chad McSwain says:

Hi Laura,
    Great post and summary. This was a new conversation for me and I was surprised to learn about the backlash to the ideas and publishing the book as I researched it. It does seem we all have a complicated relationship with our own nation’s history. I wonder how we judge intent for past actions. I kept thinking about the complexity of this. Some may have had proper or good intentions and others did not. It seems difficult or impossible to truly judge. I agree that lament is a fitting response.

• Chad – I agree. Being able to see both sides of an argument is a great quality to have as a leader. When it comes to judging history perhaps our place isn’t to judge at all but to move forward and do better.

3. Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Laura, What a great post. I appreciate your honest and thoughtful discussion of Biggar’s book, but more than that, your challenge to us to consider intent vs impact.

Great use of resources and quotes. I especially like the way in which you used Kierkegaard’s quote as a closing statement: “Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.” I’m mulling this over and contemplating how we can do that well.

4. Laura, This was a great perspective to write about. I, like others, really value the way you discussed the intention portion of your post and the way that you asked the question of how we can engage intent while still holding unplanned pain and harm to account.

5. mm Shonell Dillon says:

I am glad that you were able to see the possibilities in the book. I am learning that leaders are not always going to agree but we can always listen. Great post.

6. mm Daron George says:

Laura,

I like that you brought out the thought that individuals, organizations, and countries must be held accountable for their actions, regardless of their intent. I agree that identity politics often oversimplify history to fit a particular narrative, and your final emphasis on the importance of acknowledging, lamenting, and learning from the sins of the past to pave the way for a brighter future.

7. Alana Hayes says:

Amazing post! I love how you brought in Mandela!