Inspiration from the Ammas and Abbas

There is so much that this world has to offer that deforms a person.  Author and University of Dayton professor, Dr. Vincent Miller, in his book Consuming Religion: Christian Faith and Practice in a Consumer Religion says, “Our attention to the nitty-gritty materialist details of these cultural shifts will be better able to guide a response by (1) calling attention to the ways in which the structures of everyday life form us in certain ethically, politically, and religiously significant ways, and (2) providing a map of the places where such unwitting formation is taking place so that such influences may be more consciously resisted.” [1]  When I read that statement, I hear an invitation for reflection. . .

• How have the structures of everyday life formed me in certain ethically, politically and religiously significant ways?
  • How can I lead and support others in caring for their souls in a way that brings awareness to the unconscious influences to be renounced for greater consecration to the Father?

Throughout the book, Miller reiterates the book’s purpose beginning at the very first line of the first chapter, “This book is concerned with the ways in which consumer culture transforms religious belief and practice.” [2]  Miller guides the reader through instances of culture commodification, and one example discussed in the book that resonated with me was the Y2K crisis.  The author highlights several cultural shifts in the structure of the family, the economy, production and how commodification influenced how families used their resources for cuisine, costume and dwelling (food, clothing, shelter). [3]

Dr. Miller offers that it’s a matter of denying and deceiving ourselves. Disliking the outcomes of our choices doesn’t necessarily negate our selfishness. We may embrace the cultural values surrounding us, even if we’re reluctant to acknowledge it. [4]  The author proposes that believers consider how consumer culture forms people in habits of use and consumption and how those habits are brought into religious beliefs and practices. [5]  I see evidence of this very phenomenon in the churches and faith communities in which I have been a part of.  It saddens me.  When the gathering of the body on a Sunday is measured by the production and entertainment factor than about the God that draws us into community with one another just as He modeled in the communion of the Trinity. The consumption factor is evident in the words spoken, “I didn’t get anything out of the service today. . . “ or “I am not getting fed. . . “  There is a community of people that chose to radically follow Jesus and combat the world’s pursuits of pleasure at all costs.  In times when I am faced with a challenge to consider or a new perspective, I look for an example or model to serve as an apprentice.

I’m inspired by the Ammas and Abbas from the Desert Fathers and Mothers.  As I read about the choices they made to radically follow Jesus, which they may not have viewed as radical but as love expressed through obedience, I see freedom.   To live entirely free from all the passions of the body, sustained by hope of good things to come, firm in the strength of faith.   Consider what it would be like to live with that kind of freedom.  It was written of Abba Bessarion that his life had been like that of a bird of the air, or a fish, or an animal living on earth, passing all the time of his life without trouble or disquiet.  The care of a dwelling did not trouble him, and the desire for a particular place never seemed to dominate his soul, no more than the abundance of delights, or the possession of houses or the reading of books.  But he seemed entirely free from all the passions of the body, sustaining himself on the hope of good things to come, firm in the strength of his faith. [6]  When I read their sayings and the wisdom offered through their radical followership, I am inspired.  Inspired to prayerfully go to the Lord and allow the Holy Spirit to have His way in me.  So I conclude with a prayer, referred to as the Methodist Covenant Prayer written by John Wesley. He pens words to prayerfully consider as I desire to love God and others more.

Father in Heaven,

I am no longer my own but yours.

Put me to what you will,

Rank me with whom you will;

Put me to doing, Put me to suffering;

Let me be employed for you, Or laid aside for you,

Exalted for You, Or brought low for you;

Let me be full, Let me be empty,

Let me have all things, Let me have nothing:

I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things to your pleasure and disposal.

And now, glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit,

You are mine and I am yours.  So be it.

And the covenant now made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. [7]

[1] Miller, Vincent Jude. Consuming Religion: Christian Faith and Practice in a Consumer Religion. Repr. New York: Continuum, 2013. 32.

[6] Ward, Benedicta, trans. The Sayings of the Desert Fathers : The Alphabetical Collection. Revised edition. Mowbray: London & Oxford: Cistercian Publications: USA, 1984. 42.

[7]  https://www.cslewisinstitute.org/resources/a-covenant-prayer-in-the-wesleyan-tradition/

Cathy Glei

Cathy Glei brings more than 25 years of experience in teaching, leading and coaching. She currently is an Instructional Coach and loves to support individuals in discovering who God has made them to be, both professionally and personally. She has led a variety of professional development opportunities, trainings and workshops both in the fields of education and ministry. Cathy desires to support individuals in discovering the Creator's design and image within. Cathy and her husband, Steve, live in Michigan with their seven year old Springer, Otis. They have three adult daughters and two son-in-laws. Together, they enjoy the company of friends (both old and new) in their home, as well as cycling, camping, backpacking and hiking. They can be found hiking and enjoying the outdoors with Otis right alongside them.

12 responses to “Inspiration from the Ammas and Abbas”

I love how you contrast the commodification of religion (​​“I am not getting fed. . . “) and the self-emptying that occurs when we radically follow Jesus. It reminds me a bit of what the very wise Tim Clark said a few weeks ago when discussing Fukuyama’s book, “What would it say to the world if the Church leaned into laying down our lives, not taking up offense, and not demanding our rights?” While everyone around us is focused on getting something for themselves and defending their own rights, this is a really radical way the church can be beautifully different from the world. Thanks for your post, Cathy.

2. Hey Cathy!

So Dr. Miller’s thoughts on the impact of consumer culture urge us to reflect for sure. The transformation of every aspect of our lives into commodities prompts us to be discerning and resilient against the molding of our principles.

It serves as a reminder to prioritize decisions and the quest for genuineness in our convictions and actions.

With all of this being true, here’s my question: how do you strike an equilibrium between being immersed in society while staying true, to the principles of your faith?

• Cathy Glei says:

Thanks for asking Mathieu. For me, it involves a rhythm of prayer, reflection, listening, and confession.
      As I engage in reading books, listening to podcasts, and having conversations with friends—whether they are followers of Jesus or not—I often encounter discussions about navigating life in the world but not being of the world. During these moments, I sense the Holy Spirit prompting me, similar to a notification on my cell phone, to reflect on how that attitude, practice, thought, etc. may be evident in my life, causing incongruence in my life. Thank you for asking!

Hi Cathy,
    You wrote, “How have the structures of everyday life formed me in certain ethically, politically and religiously significant ways?

How can I lead and support others in caring for their souls in a way that brings awareness to the unconscious influences to be renounced for greater consecration to the Father?

Such great question for reflection. In part, I think the questions are your/our answer to consumerism and its cousin capitalism.

Your questions acknowledged a sinful world and also wonder out loud on how we can change.

Love it.

• Cathy Glei says:

Russell,
      I recently participated in a training called Adaptive Schools for school leaders on facilitation vs. presentation, facilitating dialogue, facilitating the decision-making process, and navigating conflict within an organization. It was AMAZING!!!!! I felt like I was drinking from a firehose. I could go on and on about the content, principles, etc. however, one phrase that was reiterated over and over was, “tiny events create disturbances in systems” (a paraphrase). It is this idea that while small steps in the right direction, may seem small, they can cause change. Maybe the tiny events are changes in me. . . us. . . to begin with?

Hi Cathy,
    I love the reflection questions you asked and your theme of freedom.
    What are you noticing as you reflect on these questions? Where are you noticing freedom within yourself?
    Lovely post!

• Cathy Glei says:

Thanks for asking Jenny!

I see a greater “slowing” happening within me. I am becoming more and more okay with simply following Jesus, without all of the “stuff”. Does that make sense?

Ahh Cathy, this seems to be the universal struggle in the American church. You said, “The consumption factor is evident in the words spoken, ‘I didn’t get anything out of the service today. . . ‘ or ‘I am not getting fed. . . ‘.

The constant struggle of Pastors to move people away from a consumption mentality to a participatory one. Especially when we are past the spiritual infancy stage and our growth hinges on the degree of involvement and contribution to the faith community. I understand God moves us to new places as I’m sure you do, but when we shift into a “feed me” mentality we will never be happy in any context which means something deeper must be going on. I’ve operated from this place from time to time myself, especially during my undergraduate college years. God taught me a lot about what the church is during this period. I believe it is the “consumerism” mentality that Miller talks about. Thanks for you posts!

• Cathy Glei says:

Adam,
      I totally agree. There have been times when in a service, the Lord has redirected my heart to Him, the One I worship, instead of me and the pursuit of what I can get or feel in a service. It is a big problem. How do you see this problem getting changed in the US church?

• Adam Harris says:

At the moment, we are playing the long game. We just changed our youth ministry approach and shut our high school classes down on Sunday morning. We still have youth service on Wednesday for them. However, on Sunday, they can either serve in a department or go to “adult service”. Most are serving which was the hope :). We wanted to embody the values of “being the church” and “service” not just going to church and consuming content. We took this approach from Andy Stanley and some other churches we’ve been talking with. We’re hoping it starts to teach early on what being the church is in America verses “going to church” and consuming all the content, entertainment, and programs churches can offer. We will see how it works, so far so good!

I always wonder what it means to live without all the passions? Our desert fathers and mothers and their sacrifice is always inspiring, but I often wonder what it means to give it all up? It makes me think of the time of Lent and giving up something for Christ. There is nothing like giving up something to only think about that something. I wonder if the question is in balancing our passions, our spending, our consuming or if it is in denying ourselves?

7. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Cathy! Your writing is very inspiring! Thanks!

You intelligently relate our reading to the story of Ammas and Abbas from the Desert Fathers and Mothers. If I look at it, their spiritual practice is similar to the spiritual practice concept of Meister Eckhart, a German mystic, who taught about the principle of “letting go”.
    My question, concerning the term “freedom” that you mentioned, is how do you deal with the phenomenon of Christianity and the church which is very familiar and seems to be inextricably linked to these things?