I’m Not Protestant, I’m Pentecostal!

Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A History from the 1730s to the 1980s

Summary

Since its beginning in the 1730’s Evangelicalism has been a force in Britain and in the world.  According to Bebbington’s thesis, one of the reasons Evangelicalism has had such far-reaching impact is because it has been able to change with the times and yet maintain its core values. Because of that Evangelicalism has remained relevant and resilient even today.[1]

Bebbington’s delineation of the core characteristics of Evangelicalism have been both the foundation and the starting point of much of the scholarly discussions on the subject and are referred to as the “Bebbington Quadrilateral.” The quadrilateral consists of Conversionism – the understanding and belief that at the core of the religious experience is a changed life and that assurance that that has happened; Activism– the outward or centrifugal movement of the Gospel i.e. James’ “faith without works.”  This activism includes the sending of missionaries.[2]  Biblicism – the Bible is the Word of God and is to be both respected and revered; and finally, Crucicentrism – a clear and distinct emphasis on the importance of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross.

From the foundation of these core characteristics, Beddington delineates three phases of British Evangelicalism and some of the influences that make it what is today. The first phase began in the 1730’s with the birth of Evangelicalism. According to Bebbington, the birth of Evangelicalism was influenced by both the Enlightenment and John Wesley’s Methodism. The influence of Wesley at the birth of Evangelicalism were theological: His belief in original sin, justification by faith and the need for salvation. The influence of Wesley in the context of the Enlightenment was “Wesley’s application of the empiricist philosophy to religious experience.”[3]  The second phase began in the 19th Century. Bebbington highlights the social aspect and activism and the influence the Holiness Movement had on Evangelicalism. Finally, the most recent phase is the modernist expression of the 20th century which include the Charismatic Movement. Evangelicalism continues to grow to include many expressions of faith who adhere to the core values.

Application

Evangelicalism has certainly impacted the whole world. Its impact on the United States has been enormous and well documented. As I mentioned in the closing of the prior paragraph, Evangelicalism now includes many expressions of faith.

I come from the Pentecostal side of the Evangelical rubric. However, my Pentecostal roots are rather unique in the Evangelical world. I come from a group of Italian Pentecostals that have their roots in the Italian-American community in Chicago in the early 1900s. Our expression of faith and life was quite different from other Pentecostal and Evangelical churches of the time, for as in any movement the culture (Italian-American) heavily influenced the movement and thus our expression of faith.

I didn’t know my expression of faith was unique until the first day of 3rd grade. I remember my teacher announcing that she didn’t know that Italians could be Protestant. I don’t remember how we got on the subject of religious affiliation in the first place—I was in 3rd grade! But I remember that I answered, “I’m not Protestant, I’m Pentecostal!” Even though our roots did not go as deeply historically as other Evangelical movements and our worship was rather, shall I say “expressive; ” we none-the-less considered ourselves Evangelical. The breadth and width of those who call themselves Evangelicals is for me amazing and wonderful.

That being said, I am interested in the “why” of the recent negative connotations that seem to have come to be associated with the term “Evangelicalism.” What has caused the upswing on the negative side of a term?

In an interesting article in The Atlantic, Jonathan Merrett suggests that in may have to do with the inability to define what Evangelicalism is or who exactly is an Evangelical. He states, “To the pollster, [Evangelical] is a sociological term. To the pastor, it is a denominational or doctrinal term. And to the politician, it is a synonym for a white Christian Republican.”[4]  It is interesting to see the various meanings associated with a word that was once simply descriptive of a religious movement but now crosses into sociological and political contexts.

Bebbington asserts that Evangelicalism has changed with culture and yet maintains its core values. I’m wondering if culture has impacted Evangelicalism more than we know?  Have I lived overseas so long that I missed something? I don’t have the answers. But this Protestant, Pentecostal, Evangelical would be interested in your thoughts?

1. Bebbington, David W. Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A History From the 1730s to the 1980s. Revised ed. ed. (Routledge, 1988), 2,3.
  2. Ibid., 223.
  3. Ibid., 50-53
  4. Merritt, Jonathan. “What Does Evangelical Mean? – the Atlantic.” http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/evangelical-christian/418236/ (accessed Jan 19, 2017).

Jim Sabella

18 responses to “I’m Not Protestant, I’m Pentecostal!”

Jim, to be honest, I would gamble that most members of Evangelical churches could give an acceptable definition of what an “Evangelical” is.

Your quote from The Atlantic reinforces this. In fact, I wonder if the “white Christian Republican” definition would be the most prominent. My guess is that that is why the term may have taken some hits in modern times. Some may think, “Can I be an ‘evangelical’ if I an not a white Christian Republican?”

Jim, I agree that the term ‘evangelicalism” has gotten negative press and it makes my heart ache especially after the last election. I thought that surely in earlier times evangelicals had some respect.
    I have never really referred to myself as an evangelical but as a Christian. I’m not sure why, but I will accept the challenge in your post to define it better.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Mary. Honestly, I’m not so concerned about definition as I am silos and high walls that keep us from looking at the harvest fields together. I am one who appreciates the richness of our faith and the many expressions of it. The Church of Jesus Christ is world-wide and growing all the time. The expressions don’t always look like mine because culture does influence that—contextualization is our discussion for next post—but the work of God in the hearts and lives of people is exactly the same. As Beddington expresses, God changes lives!

3. Jim, I enjoyed your story of you in 3rd grade. I was thinking the same thing: how did this subject come up in 3rd grade and what was the context for it? Your response was great. Too funny!

I have wondered the same thing about Evangelicalism. Has the core values really stayed the same as Bebbington has suggested or have they shifted with the cultures and time? Does evangelicalism look and sound different with different values in various countries? Your world perspective and years of experience with churches globally could adequately speak to this. What do your think? Have evangelical core values shifted and if so, in what ways?

• Jim Sabella says:

Jennifer, I’ve noticed that in the different countries in which we serve the term Evangelical is rarely used and when it is used has a bit of a different meaning. For example, in Central Europe, if someone is Evangelical it usually means they are members of the Lutheran Church. Or, it can be used designate the group of people in the USA who call themselves Evangelical.

It’s difficult for me to say if the core has shifted, but I can sense that the meaning certainly has. It is different than 20 years ago for sure. It seems that there are more political overtones to the term than before.

4. What can you call yourself as a follower of Christ?
    Evangelical, Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Christian, Pastor, Preacher, Minister, Bishop, etc. All of these labels have been tarnished one way or another.
    I personally am at the point I don’t want to use them.
    I with you Jim, I don’t have all the answers. But as Jesus did, he didn’t change who he was; he genuinely loved people. He didn’t change the message. He delivers his message, and he participates in some of their cultures to be receptive to the people he was serving.

• Jim Sabella says:

Lynda, what a great question! “What can you call yourself as a follower of Christ?” I know that in my context in Europe we are called and I call myself a “believer.” For some reason, in Central Europe, that term means a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings. When I use the term, people know what I’m talking about. Labels are difficult because they tend to put people in boxes that different things to different people. Maybe the best plan is to let our actions and life speak of who we are and to whom we belong.

5. Jim great post!

“To the pollster, [Evangelical] is a sociological term. To the pastor, it is a denominational or doctrinal term. And to the politician, it is a synonym for a white Christian Republican.”

It is true that most people do seem to identify primarily by their denominational ties. Those that identify themselves as Evangelical the most are predominately white Christian republicans. Although there are many Christians who are not white and/or republican they seem to be marginalized within the movement. Therefore, they are not seen on the forefront of the movement. With leaders like Franklin Graham have been widely known as an Evangelical leader and preacher. While a pastor like Bishop T.D. Jakes would be identified as a Charismatic Leader and preacher. So while Charismatic is a form of Evangelicalism, it is more associated to groups other than white Christian Republicans.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Christal. As you say, denominational ties are important. When people ask me about my faith I don’t call myself and Evangelical because of the vast amount of territory that term covers. I do call myself a Believer or Christian and then add Pentecostal because that is somehow more defined and closer to home. However, I do adhere to Bebbington’s quadrilateral, with a few additions—the “gifts.” I don’t think that makes me less of an Evangelical, just more of a Pentecostal! 🙂

Great post Jim – lovely to read about your roots a little. I think the term Evangelical has taken on a different meaning particularly in the States? The likes of Campolo have moved away from the term and adopted their “red letter Christian” mantra, partially due to the new sociological and political connotations no doubt. In Britain I don’t think there is such a strong correlation, although there remains some confusion and contention as to what the term really represents!

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Geoff. Interesting….the “Red letter Christian” mantra is starting to pick up steam. I’m hearing more and more about it. I too noticed in Europe that the connection to the term Evangelicalism is not as strong as in the USA.

7. Jim I absolutely love the insight into your childhood and faith background…. Did Bebbington to a history of your faith tradition? I would read that!

I think, like many descriptive-but-not-precise terms Evangelical has suffered by being defined by it basest qualities, instead of the sort of wide-ranging, essentials only term that Bebbington describes (and I think most, if not all of us could assent to in some form).

I have have a similar experience with the term ‘Calvinist’. I have proudly accepted that title for most of my life, since I first discovered Calvin’s writings and theology as a teenager, but recently – in the US at least – it has become so closely associated with a vary narrow socially/theologically/politically conservative stream of thought and expression (I am thinking of the most extreme right of the Gospel Coalition and the like) that I have found it to do more harm than good. Especially in my context here in New England.

Interestingly, I think like many that once happily claimed the title Evangelical, I look at what Calvinist has come to mean and I don’t know how we got here.

Just another point to convict me in my belief that labels like these rarely serve to unify us in Christ for the work and mission of God.

Thanks again Jim, really loved this post.

• Jim Sabella says:

Chip, I appreciate your kind words. Like a lot of people who have lived in another culture for any length of time, I struggle with labels. In fact, I’ve struggled with them my whole life—it started in 3rd grade!! 🙂 for me, our living out our life for Christ show more of who we are than the labels we use. Thanks Chip!

Jim, I’m curious to hear more about how the Italian-American context of your upbringing led to the Pentecostalism form of your faith context. How, do you think, does it differ from other expressions of Pentecostalism, or even wider, Evangelicalism, in America?

On another note, culture always impacts faith expression because we cannot NOT be a part of a social context; ie., we are always entrenched in a particular place/time and cannot separate ourselves from where/when we are.

• Jim Sabella says:

Thanks Katy. Your questions would make the basis of a solid dissertation. To the question of difference—there are even fine lines of distinction between “Charasmatic” and “Pentecostal.” For example: Pentecostals tend to look to the early 1900’s as their roots, while, Charismatics generally look to the 1960s. Again this is a general statement and a good example of the problem with defining and labeling. The Italian-American context of Pentecostalism is a book in itself. Would be glad to talk about it sometime. Thanks again Katy.

9. You raise really good questions here, Jim. Thinking about them has me wondering if it is really that culture has overly influenced evangelicalism, or is it that certain parts of culture have coopted evangelicalism and certain parts of evangelicalism have traded the depth of their convictions in some twisted hope that power will further their cause? I can’t really think of any other reason for it.
    Merritt raises a good point, though, about how hard it is to define and identify evangelicalism.
    (BTW, I would love to hear more about your Italian Pentecostal family!)

• Jim Sabella says:

Kristin, concerning the influence on Evangelicalism, you are probably right on all accounts. Because of it’s breath, width and height and its constant change an influence, maybe it’s just not definable after all. As soon as we look at it…it’s already changed!

Like Evangelicalism, you’d have to experience my family to understand them! 🙂 Be glad to talk about it anytime. Thank you Kristen!