If Anything is Excellent or Praiseworthy—Think About Such Things

As I mulled over Tim Harford’s How to Make the World Add Up, I was transported to my undergraduate classes when I was a naïve business student. Sitting in a business law class, we had just finished the documentary Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room and I felt physically ill from the information learned. I had gained new vocabulary, cooking the books and whistleblowing and a new understanding of greed. In Times Magazine article, Simon Constable writes, “[Enron’s] collapse sent ripples through the financial system, with the government introducing a set of stringent regulations for auditors, accountants and senior executives, huge requirements for record keeping, and criminal penalties for securities laws violations.” [1] This scandal forever changed American business and significantly impacted American trust in the stock market.

I mention the Enron scandal not to further investigate the events, but to highlight the idea of shattered trust between a massive corporation and the people it was supposed to protect. Broken trust is not easily restored. Sadly, Enron-type scandals occur across all sectors: private, public, and nonprofit. As long as we exist in a sin-filled world, we will experience the ripple effects of evil and we will face disturbing information. We are confronted with the dilemma of what to do with disruptive statistics.

Especially, in the digital age, we are bombarded with information whose aim is to sow doubt and distrust. Sometimes the easiest route may seem to not believe in anyone or anything. We can maintain a nihilistic attitude that echoes Nietzsche, “There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths.” [2] While reading Harford, this nihilistic thinking manifests itself in what he terms as doubt induced apathy. Harford states, “…the problem is not that we are too eager to believe something, but that we find reasons not to believe anything (The Data Detective, 2021).” [3] He continues, “We’ve lost our sense that statistics might help us make the world add up. It’s not that we feel every statistic is a lie, but that we feel helpless to pick out the truths (p. 15).” [4]

This doubt induced apathy is a killer of curiosity. I believe we are in dangerous territory when we stop asking questions; even worse, when we shut down other people’s questions. As Christian leaders, we know apathy is detrimental. We read Jesus’ words in Rev. 3:15, “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!” We reach a place where we must decide and take action with the information we have. Harford writes, “If we want to make the world add up, we need to ask questions—open-minded, genuine questions (p. 281).” [5] He continues, “Curiosity, it turns out, can be a remarkably powerful thing (p. 269).” [6] There is power in asking the right questions and remaining open to outside questions.

When considering the importance of curiosity, my mind immediately shifts to Camacho’s Mining for Gold and the significance of operating with an abundance mentality. Gold is everywhere and there is an importance in seeing the value of what is in front of us. [7] The same goes for information. Good and trustworthy data does exist, but we must search for it. Ultimately, we as leaders, have the agency to choose our attitude concerning information and how we use it. Harford writes, “Statistics can be used to illuminate reality with clarity and honesty (p. 12).”[8] So, I must ask myself, “What would our world look like if we spent more time emphasizing truth rather than just debunking what we believe to be false?” I desire, with an abundance mindset, to announce that which is true. I find encouragement through the apostle Paul’s exhortation, “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things (Phil 4:8 [NIV]).” This requires an intentional mental shift and focus on my part.

I was disturbed as an undergraduate student when I learned of the Enron scandal. There are realities in this world that still greatly alarm me. However, as I continue to grow as a Christian leader, I find my “measuring stick of truth” has aided me in navigating through doubt and cynicism in much healthier, God-honoring ways. I may not be able to control the information that comes at me, truthful or untruthful, but I can control my reaction to it. Harford reminds readers, “If we don’t master our emotions, whether they are telling us to doubt or telling us to believe, we’re in danger of fooling ourselves (p. 48).” I have felt a sense of freedom in being able to test the spirits to see whether they are from God (1 Jn 4:1). Paul and Elder state, “Fair-minded critical reasoners cultivate not only intellectual abilities but also intellectual dispositions. These attributes are essential to excellence of thought. They determine with what insight and integrity you think. (The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking Concepts and Tools, 2020).” [10] I desire to approach information with genuine curiosity and confidence grounded in the truth I know and understand, while accepting new statistics with open hands.

[1] Simon Constable, “How the Enron Scandal Changed American Business Forever”, accessed February 8, 2024, https://time.com/6125253/enron-scandal-changed-american-business-forever/

[2] “A Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche.” Accessed February 8, 2024. https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/78566-there-are-no-eternal-facts-as-there-are-no-absolute.

[3] Tim Harford, The Data Detective: Ten Easy Rules to Make Sense of Statistics (p. 15). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

[4] Harford, The Data Detective, (p. 11). Kindle Edition.

[5] Harford, The Data Detective, (p. 281). Kindle Edition.

[6] Harford, The Data Detective, (p. 269). Kindle Edition.

[7] Tom Camacho, Mining for Gold: Developing Kingdom Leaders Through Coaching (London: IVP Press, 2019).

[8] Tim Harford, The Data Detective, (p. 12). Kindle Edition.

[9] Tim Harford, The Data Detective, (p. 48). Kindle Edition.

[10] Richard Paul and Linda Elder, The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking Concepts and Tools (Thinker’s Guide Library) (p. 24). The Foundation for Critical Thinking. Kindle Edition.

Elysse Burns

22 responses to “If Anything is Excellent or Praiseworthy—Think About Such Things”

1. mm Ryan Thorson says:

Thanks for your post Elysse and your call to remain curious! I especially appreciate the call to resist apathy. I’ll admit that I tend to be the ostrich that retreats whenever I can’t ascertain where the truth is really coming from. I need to make the effort to search for the truth rather than just be skeptical on the sideline. What are some ways you are attempting to ‘control your emotions’ as you put it, to be able to search for the truth?

• Elysse Burns says:

Ryan, thank you for your comments.
      I have a couple methods that help me gauge and make sense of my emotions. The first method is to take a few moments and specify the emotions I am feeling. I use an emotions wheel to do this. This self-awareness usually helps me get to the root cause and I can move forward from there. The second method is a bit more intensive. This involves journaling and working through Scripture to wrap my head around what is going on spiritually. Sometimes this can take days to process.
      These are just some practical steps that work for me. However, I am open to learning new methods.

Elysse,
    I groaned when I saw the words “business law class” as it catapulted me back to my college days as well.

It’s interesting that you pulled out the concept of shattered trust and how that can be the impetus and pivotal point to the failure of many relationships, right — not just professional. I also thought of the Ponzi schemes and other craziness that focused on broken trust.

I love the phrase “doubt induced apathy” because it does kill curiosity! But don’t you think that’s because the person that chooses to trust is someone who wants to be fooled?

So, as you continue to navigate your path in life and research, how will you use your “measuring stick of truth” to guide you? How will you stave off tom-foolery and take a hold of your emotions?

Thanks for making what can be an unenjoyable subject of data and numbers (for me) a captivating read.

• Elysse Burns says:

Nancy, you bring up a question I have asked myself many times. Do I want to be fooled by choosing to trust? On a very long flight to Chiang Mai, Thailand, I downloaded a number of episodes of Jay Shetty’s podcast, “On Purpose.” His guest, Dr. Maté, on the episode “Understanding Trauma” said, “Everything in nature only grows when it’s vulnerable…vulnerability is our capacity to be wounded.” This really resonated with me as I naturally gravitate towards guardedness and cynicism. I do want to grow and I understand this means being vulnerable to hurt when we put our trust in others.
      I have read a lot of good books on maintaining boundaries and fostering healthy relationships. The information and tools from these books, along with Scripture, and personal experiences have helped me recognize the good, bad, and ugly. They serve as my gauge.
      What does this have to do with statistics? I’m not sure! Maybe one out of every person is 100% fallible?

Elysse, Your post reminded me that sometimes, even asking a number of questions (hopefully the right ones) we still may not know for sure if the decision we are about to make is really the best one. Your reference to Rev. 3:15 is a good reminder that it is important to actually take a stand, but also with the refined gold that comes from God. What are some of the things you consider to determine if something has been refined by gold or motivated by greed?

• Elysse Burns says:

Diane, thanks for your comments. I think one of my standards of measurement for whether something is refined by gold or motivated by greed is by the treatment of people. Though I am sure you know, this can be subtle and hard to spot at times. I once worked for an organization that debased women, but it was hard to pinpoint. The initial gut feeling of “something is wrong” led me to investigate to get more facts.
      I would say transparency is another one for me. There is the reality of under sharing and oversharing. Again, another tricky one to navigate.
      I know when it comes to data, we should be wary of our emotions. I do believe this to be true. However, I do believe there is some power in the “gut feeling.”

4. Adam Cheney says:

Elysse,
    Our church has been going through a sermon series on each of the attributes in that Philippians 4:8 passage. It has been good to focus on each item for a week.
    I am wondering if you can expand a bit on how you might emphasize truth rather than focus on debunking falsehood.

• Elysse Burns says:

Adam, thank you for your comments. I think a lot depends on our motives when using the information we know. I have to ask myself, “Am I using this information to bring life or as a weapon?”
      I think of mistakes I have made personally in religious debates. I spent a lot of time in the past searching for contradictions in certain religious texts that I believed to be false. I would think to myself, “Ha! Gotcha!” However, in doing this I often neglected learning and growing more from the truth that I already knew and allowing it to speak for itself.

5. Christy Liner says:

Hi Elysse, thanks for your post. The Enron scandals were so terrible, and such things erode trust in a terrible way. When society loses faith in institutions, it can have devastating effects.

I once met a homeless teenager, struggling with mental health issues. When I asked him if he had seen a doctor for help, he shared that he had, but stopped taking medication because he believed that the hospital was trying to kill him. Somewhere along the way, trust was lost, and no amount of statistics was going to convince this young man.

• Elysse Burns says:

Christy, thank you for sharing this example. It’s really amazing how we can trick ourselves to believing certain things. Did you ever run into this teenager again?

6. Debbie Owen says:

Elysse, you write, “This doubt induced apathy is a killer of curiosity. I believe we are in dangerous territory when we stop asking questions; even worse, when we shut down other people’s questions. As Christian leaders, we know apathy is detrimental. We read Jesus’ words in Rev. 3:15, “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!” We reach a place where we must decide and take action with the information we have.”

Apathy is definitely something we have to watch out for! We must continue to have a curious mindset or we will get stuck.

Have you seen situations when Christians shut down other people’s questions? If so, what did you do about it?

• Elysse Burns says:

Debbie, thank you for your comments. This was something I experienced firsthand with a previous employer and I had to make the hard decision to walk away.

7. Daren Jaime says:

Hi Elysse! Thank you for this and the reminder that good statistics do exist. We are encumbered by the negative and the manipulation that coerces our thoughts and belief systems. In light of the readings, what piques your curiosity as we approach the research phase of our doctoral journey?

• Elysse Burns says:

Daren, thank you for your question. I look forward to seeing how our project portfolios change and take shape. I want to remain open in this process, but I’m curious to see what information I will have a hard time letting go.

8. Graham English says:

Elyse, I can relate to doubt-induced apathy. I love your thoughts about being in danger when we stop asking questions and when we shut down other people’s questions. How might a leader create a culture where questions are not viewed as threatening but are received as valuable?

• Elysse Burns says:

Graham, thank you for your comments. I believe this change must begin with the leader’s self-awareness and confidence in their identity. Tom Camacho’s “Mining for Gold” was very impactful for me, because he emphasized the idea of clarity and the abundance mentality. I do believe personal flourishing of a leader will foster a healthier culture where input is valued. If the leader is insecure in their identity and lacks self-awareness, I do believe they are more vulnerable to creating an atmosphere of defensiveness.

9. mm Kari says:

Elysse, I appreciated the question you posed to yourself, “What would our world look like if we spent more time emphasizing truth rather than just debunking what we believe to be false?” I think if we spent more learning what is true, we are more easily able to identify for ourselves what is false.

In your personal life, what area do you believe God is inviting you to emphasize Truth?

• Elysse Burns says:

Kari, thank you for your thoughtful question. Hmm…I believe God continues to speak or emphasize truth in my life concerning my identity in Him and placing trust in His abilities rather than my own. I feel most fulfilled when I see tangible results. I don’t believe this is a bad thing, but I can become derailed if I feel no positive results are happening. In Africa, as you well know, it can often feel like 2 steps forward 3 steps back. There are long seasons when it feels like nothing is happening. But I know this is not true! I am learning to trust God in the results that are unseen, results that are eternal.

10. Akwése Nkemontoh says:

Elysse, you hit at so many important things here…

I love you you tie the idea of shattered trust to the sin-filled world we live in which was designed to give birth to disturbing information that “sow doubt and distrust”.

When you said “We are confronted with the dilemma of what to do with disruptive statistics” and offered your solution of “emphasizing truth rather than just debunking what we believe to be false” I couldn’t help but wonder what that really looks like.

I think of Kathryn Schultz’s work on being wrong and how that ties into this idea of multiple truths, which was also something Harford touched on regarding the half-truths found in so much of our data…How do you approach this idea of emphasizing your truth while engaging new data with “open hands”, especially when so often there are multiple truths? Or how are you even looking at/ exploring this?

• Elysse Burns says:

Akwése, thank you for your comments. I learned a lot last week from the discussion on the Hero’s Journey and the many similarities in myths across cultures and generations, including the Christian faith. I appreciated Dr. Clark’s words regarding all cultural myths and how they resonate with the Christian message because this is how we are hardwired (i.e. the fall and restored relationship with God). This was a long tangent to say, I try to measure half truths or new information with the truth I already know and believe. I do admit that I am biased because I view information through the lens of the gospel and as a follower of Jesus. I often ask myself, “Is this information God-honoring?” “Does this information bring life or does it cause harm?” “Does it treat people with dignity and care?” “Does this information point people to Christ?” I do find that even half-truths can create conversation pathways to absolute truth. I believe that’s why I can approach it with open hands. I also understand this is easier said than done! It has been a journey for me. Especially, when human life is involved.

I am not sure if that answered your question. Perhaps, something will be meaningful out of my fragmented thoughts. 🙂

11. Noel Liemam says:

Hi, Elysse, thank you for your comment it is very informative. I like the way you use Enron; it is another evil example of how we play we information to our advantages. Two things you mentioned which are greed and misinformation, I believe they always go together. If you have to summarize in your posting, based on the reading, what would be your advise to a group of would be future leaders?

• Elysse Burns says:

Noel, thank you for your comments. My advice to future leaders can be found in Micah 6:8, “He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” I believe this verse serves as good accountability for how we engage and use information. I ask myself, “Am I acting justly?” “Am I acting out of love and kindness?” “Am I walking humbly with God?”