Identity Politics and Self-Reflection

Francis Fukuyama’s book, Identity: The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment, was an interesting read for me this past week. It helped make sense for me some of the things going on in our societies today politically both here in the United States and elsewhere overseas. For instance, the hyper-focus of our politicians on social causes at times. It talked about the shift in my lifetime from more economically driven politics to what we have today in many societies – not just in the States – and that is one driven by social justice. [1] And social justice being defined individually, this makes the norm and expectation different for every group of people identified. [2]

In this post, I will briefly explore identity politics in the United States as expounded upon by the author. Then I will look at a Christian’s role in our society today according to Scripture.

Politics in the United States

I viewed several videos of Francis Fukuyama speaking on this particular topic that I found very helpful. In one of the videos, Fukuyama talked about solutions to the problem of identity politics. He stated that a democracy needs to have three things to survive and even thrive: a constitution, a rule of law, and a declaration of independence. [3] He said, “You need an integrated sense of national identity open to the sense of existing diversity of society that allows for the people to believe they are a part of the same political community.” [4] (The italics are mine.) The realm we are operating in today here in the United States is neither integrated as a national identity, nor is it a part of the same political community. It feels more like a nation torn apart at the seams at times.

A Christian’s Role

As far as getting involved in politics, some Christians are very involved and some are not. I believe that is a personal choice. However, Scripture tells all believers to love one another. John 13:34: “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.” [5] Romans 12:10: “Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.” [6] 1 Peter 4:8: “Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.” [7] There are actually too many verses like this to include. The command to love each other is obvious. Our response is sadly short-sighted at times. We love only those we want to love. As a people, we show favoritism, give preferential treatment to some, love those that love us in return. We are unkind at times, and even mean. Sometimes we are racist. Judgmental. Hypocritical. Self-righteous. Perhaps that is why it had to be said so many times in the Word of God. So that we as His people would eventually hear it and put it into practice. So that I would hear it also. May my life imitate Christ’s more and more each day.

____________________________________________________________________________

[1] Fukuyama, Francis. Identity: The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment. First Picador edition. New York, N.Y.: Picador, 2019.

[3] Fukuyama, Francis. “Identity: The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment.” YouTube, Stanford Program of International and Cross-Cultural Education, 25 Mar. 2019, Link.

[4] Fukuyama, Francis. “Francis Fukuyama: National Identity vs. Identity Politics.” YouTube, Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs, 21 Sept. 2018, Link.

[5] Crossway Bibles, ed. 2007. ESV: Study Bible: English Standard Version. ESV text ed. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Bibles. p.1355.

[6] Ibid, p.1429.

[7] Ibid, p.1536.

Tonette Kellett

Missionary, teacher, Bible student, traveler ... Having lived in Kenya and Korea, I now live in Mississippi and work with the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.

4 responses to “Identity Politics and Self-Reflection”

Tonette,
    Great idea- watching videos of Fukyama. I am sure this was helpful!
    I like how you highlighted this quote:
    “He said, “You need an integrated sense of national identity open to the sense of existing diversity of society that allows for the people to believe they are a part of the same political community.”
    Thank you for sharing Scripture to support the Christians role:
    “Scripture tells all believers to love one another.”
    As clear as this is- this can be a challenge. I know I need to be reminded.
    Have you found political identity to be an issue in those you teach/their families? What makes it difficult for them to love?

• Tonette Kellett says:

Kristy,

I have not found political identity to be an issue with those that I work with. Things that make it difficult for them to love are the things that make it difficult for them to trust others – previous hurts and biases, whether done to themselves or their ancestors.

Tonette, I love your reminder to love one another. I think that is one thing so missing in the political arena. We have forgotten that Jesus told us to love not only our neighbor, but our enemy as well. We are called to love all people, regardless of political stance. I wonder what Jesus’ life and ministry would look like if He came today, rather than 2000 years ago.