I Will Not Let You Down

In The Map that Changed the World we read about an engineer named William Smith that lived in the late 1700s and early 1800s. [1] He built canals and discovered many fossils along the way. In doing so, he found that the layers of rock beneath the surface of the earth rose and fell, and that these layers could be followed all across England, and even the world for that matter. [2] He drew out a map of natural resources found in these layers of rock in England and Wales, which was the first of it’s kind. [3] Sadly, his work was plagiarized, and he went into great debt doing it. [4] He was forced to sell off his fossil collection for almost nothing to pay a portion of his debt off, and still ended up in debtor’s prison in 1819. [5] It was not until 1831 that he was finally recognized for his work in creating the geological map of England and Wales. [6] Much like the story of Job, his story ended more blessed than it began as well. [7]

In Prisoners of Geography the chapters are actually areas of the world, and how their geography has influenced their political and military successes or failures, as the case may be. [8] It was particularly interesting to compare the United States and it’s landforms and river systems in chapter three with those of Western Europe’s in chapter 4. [9] In the case of the United States, the landforms and rivers are a distinct advantage. In Western Europe’s case, they helped form separate nation-states with different languages that led to wars. [10]

When I think of the importance of maps in my own life, and how they have changed my world, I think of living for several years alone in a remote location in Kenya not far from the Somali border. There was a small river that ran from the coast of the Indian Ocean up through my district that provided water and transportation. Most villages were built along this river. Today, it is mostly dried up and non-existent. Twenty years ago though, it was only passable by dugout canoe. I had no map of the area. I had no gps then. There was nothing to go by for directions from village to village but word of mouth. I only had a map of the main road and one other secondary road. No villages were shown on the map. I set out in my time there to map the villages that I worked with as I visited them using this map I was given of these two roads.

Some of the villages were on the same side of the river as the roads on the map. For these, I could drive to them in my mission provided vehicle – a 1979 Land Rover Jeep. (It frequently caught on fire and had other mishaps.) For the villages on the other side of the river, I had to park in the banana trees or the thicket somewhere, ride across the river in a dugout canoe, then walk a couple of miles the rest of the way to the village. I was much younger then, which was a good thing! In those years, the river was filled with crocodiles and hippos.

When I left Kenya, I passed my map on to another missionary that was finishing language school and beginning mission work nearby. I had been able to successfully add more than thirty villages to my map along that river that is nearly gone today. They no longer use canoes. They simply walk across it now. The people I worked with are semi-nomadic. Perhaps some of the villages are no longer there either. I don’t know for sure. However, for the time that I was there, the map changed my world.

My favorite quote from our reading is from The Map that Changed the World. It is about William Smith. He was “just one man doing it all by himself, imagining the unimaginable”. [11] Sometimes, when we’re faced with great tasks, we feel all alone, but we’re not really. We imagine the unimaginable. Then as Christians we are reminded that the Lord will never leave us nor forsake us. [12] The Wuest translation says it best:

“For He Himself has said, and the statement is on record, I will not, I will not cease to sustain and uphold you. I will not, I will not, I will not let you down.” [13]

______________________________________________________________________

[1] Winchester, Simon. 2009. The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology. Repr. New York, NY: Harper Perennial.

[2] Ibid

[3] Ibid

[4] Ibid

[5] Ibid

[6] Ibid

[7] Crossway Bibles, ed. 2007. ESV: Study Bible: English Standard Version. ESV text ed. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Bibles.

[8] Marshall, Tim. 2016. Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Explain Everything about the World. First Scribner paperback edition. New York, NY: Scribner.

[9] Ibid
[10] Ibid
[11] Winchester, Simon. 2009. The Map That Changed the World: William Smith and the Birth of Modern Geology. Repr. New York, NY: Harper Perennial.
[12] Crossway Bibles, ed. 2007. ESV: Study Bible: English Standard Version. ESV text ed. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Bibles.
[13] Wuest, Kenneth Samuel. 1998. Wuest’s Word Studies from the Greek New Testament: For the English Reader. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.

Tonette Kellett

Missionary, teacher, Bible student, traveler ... Having lived in Kenya and Korea, I now live in Mississippi and work with the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.

13 responses to “I Will Not Let You Down”

1. Michael O'Neill says:

Wow! You have endless stories that amaze me and nerves of steel. I am not typically scared to try something but being in a remote destination without a map like you described does not sound appealing to me. When you are on a mission no matter what side of the globe you are on Tonette…nothing is going to stop you. Keep it up. God loves a warrior like you!

• Tonette Kellett says:

Michael,

You are always incredibly encouraging! Thank you for your kind words. I have to say, there were times, and still are, that I was scared. I’m really not fearless at all.

2. mm Audrey Robinson says:

Tonette,

As always you are a wonderful storyteller. What an excellent way to connect the readings to your personal journey.

How is your “map” in the area you are now living changed?

• Tonette Kellett says:

Audrey,

I think where I am living now, working with Native Americans on a reservation, though there is a map… there really is no map. I have learned to take it day by day. I invest my whole self where I am with these kids and their families each day, trying to live out the gospel in tangible ways that I might introduce them to Jesus Christ as Savior. Honesty and integrity are the keys.

3. Kristy Newport says:

Tonette,
    This is quite remarkable:
    “I had been able to successfully add more than thirty villages to my map along that river that is nearly gone today.”

You did that!!
    I am sure that the missionary who came after you was grateful for your documentation efforts. If a village was “no longer there” …this would provide questions as to what had happened to the people/where had they relocated?
    I appreciate your personal application to this blog!

• Tonette Kellett says:

Kristy,

The people in Kenya that I worked with are semi-nomadic cattle herders. They have to go where there is enough water and vegetation for their animals. When the river began to dry up, they most likely moved to better water sources and set up village there. With a little searching, it would not be difficult to find them again.

4. Tonette,

Great post, you took this story and encouraged others to keep going. You are an inspiration, thank you.

5. Great post Tonette. Thanks for the reminder of God’s assurance for protection at all times. Can’t wait for our trip back to East Africa together to celebrate with the people of Kenya, Thanks, my sister.

6. mm Becca Hald says:

Tonette, what a beautiful post. I enjoy hearing about your time in Africa as a missionary. You are an inspiration. I love what you said, “Sometimes, when we’re faced with great tasks, we feel all alone, but we’re not really. We imagine the unimaginable.” I think that is what this program is all about – imagining the unimaginable. Thank you for reminding us to dream big and trust God.

7. Alana Hayes says:

Tonnette! I need you to write your book gal!

I loved how you brought your time in Africa here, and how you passed on your well traveled map. Perfect blog!

8. mm Shonell Dillon says:

It must have been very lonely where you were. I am not sure if I would have lasted. What was your deciding factor in handing it over to another missionary?