I Can Do All Things

In Reading Karl Polanyi’s book The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Times, this past week I noted that the author wrote this book in the 1940s. He wrote of the free market system with no government intervention called laissez-faire that was first used in France in the 1800s. [1] He also talked about a new economic system in the early 1800s called the self-regulating market, or the SRM. [2] Before the Industrial Revolution as a whole we lived off the land, shared with others in need and our rulers redistributed goods in times of need. [3] After the Industrial Revolution, land, labor and money became commodities. [4] There was no longer a free labor force. Whereas before people would not travel in their lifetimes sometimes anymore than a few miles, now people traveled all the time to find work and homes. [5] Markets were regulated now, where they were not regulated before. [6]

All of these changes created deep poverty in people, and great wealth for some. [7] Poor laws were developed, but they didn’t help much. [8] Over the years, to the point where we find ourselves today, the market has had times of great instability. The rich have continued to get richer… the poor – we have them with us still today. Are they poorer? I don’t know.

I grew up in this capitalistic society. I was one of the poor. We lived on welfare and food stamps. I worked a job afterschool beginning at age 16 to help bring in money for my family. I put myself through college because my mother couldn’t afford to send me. As a result of hard work and education, and the good Lord, I have a good job and a place to call home. I’m no longer in poverty. I know where my next meal will come from. There were years where we didn’t know about our meals.

I have relatives who are very wealthy. When we were younger and my mother was in great need, she would ask them for help from time to time. They would always tell her that they don’t help family. I never knew them as a child. I didn’t think they were real – some wealthy relatives that lived in mansions far away. I know them now as an adult. They’re nice people and they’re Christians. What I have learned about them is that they don’t help people who ask them for money. They never would’ve helped my mother anyway though, because they were never close enough to her or her children to see her great need.

I’ve learned from that in my own life. There are people all around me that are in great need every day. Sometimes I have the means to be of help to them. I try to live with my eyes open to the needs around me. I pray to have the eyes and hands and feet of Jesus in my community. I alone cannot make a difference in everyone’s life and situation, but I can make a difference in one at a time. And isn’t that what we are called to do as believers in Christ Jesus? “To walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us”? -Ephesians 5:2 [9]

As Paul writes, “I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” – Philippians 4:12-13 [10]

_______________________________________________________________________

[1] Polanyi, Karl. 2001. The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time. 2nd Beacon Paperback ed. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.

[3] Jerry Michalski, “The Great Transformation”, 5MinU, 2014, YouTube Video, 6:05, Link.

[5] Asad Zaman, “Summary: Polanyi’s Great Transformation”. YouTube Video, 27:27, Link.

[5] Zaman, Asad. “Summary of the Great Transformation by Polanyi.” Medium (blog), August 25, 2018. https://asaduzaman.medium.com/summary-of-the-great-transformation-by-polanyi-c329541e8532.

[6] Jerry Michalski, “The Great Transformation”, 5MinU, 2014, YouTube Video, 6:05, Link.

[8] Clark, Jason Paul, “Evangelicalism and Capitalism: A Reparative Account and Diagnosis of Pathogeneses in the Relationship” (2018). Faculty Publications – Portland Seminary.  https://digitalcommons.georgefox.edu/gfes.

[9] Crossway Bibles, ed. 2007. ESV: Study Bible: English Standard Version. ESV text ed. Wheaton, Ill: Crossway Bibles.

Tonette Kellett

Missionary, teacher, Bible student, traveler ... Having lived in Kenya and Korea, I now live in Mississippi and work with the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians.

7 responses to “I Can Do All Things”

1. Kristy Newport says:

Good morning Tonette,
    Thank you for your blog and sharing

I am curious what your first job was and how this was for you to bring home money for your mom? Did your other siblings work as well?
    It was hard for me to read:
    They’re nice people and they’re Christians. What I have learned about them is that they don’t help people who ask them for money. They never would’ve helped my mother anyway though, because they were never close enough to her or her children to see her great need.

How did you get to know these relatives? I am curious how it was for you transitioning as a child into adulthood, knowing they did not help your family?
    I have lots of questions. 🙂
    Would you say that your family needed money or other things? apart from money? I am curious what it would have been like if you were in relationship with family, even if it was apart from financial help?
    What advice do you have for us apart from keeping our eyes open to the needs/those in need around us when addressing those who need money?

• Tonette Kellett says:

Kristy,

I worked at Burger King as a first job until I went to college. As for my relatives – I got to know them when I came home from the mission field in Korea when I was in my early twenties. I was driving across country to for a mission reunion, and their house was on the way. I stopped to meet these unknown relatives to see if they were real – and they were. As for advice – it’s difficult. I have the gift of giving. For me, it’s easy to get taken advantage of. I try to be sensitive to people in need because I know what that is like. For the most part, The Holy Spirit prompts me when I should give to someone.
      Thank you for the questions.

2. Michael O'Neill says:

Did they ever explain why they wouldn’t help family or anyone that asked them? I’m just curious because you also mentioned they were Christians. Does that eliminate all Christians from potential help? We are one family and body of Christ so what they give at church because that kind of seems like helping their family. So just to be clear, to receive support from your blessed family, you have to not ask and not be a Christian, correct? Sorry to hear this, Tonette. You are one resilient woman!

• Tonette Kellett says:

Michael,

They never explained themselves. I just caught on over the years to their method of giving to others from things that they would say. They do certainly give to Christians. They just don’t want people asking them for help. That is my understanding.

3. Hello Tonette,
    Thanks for the great reminder, sometimes we wonder how possible “I can do all things.” Praying the Lord gives us faith to see the possibilities.
    Good post my friend.

4. mm Shonell Dillon says:

That is my favorite verse. ” I can do all things through christ”. I am interested to know what can help others to open their eyes to those that lack.