I am who God says I am.

It seems that the pandemic was light years ago. I am reminded that it is real when I see my aunt rush to mask even today two years after the event. I am also reminded because my community was hit hard. Many pastors and community members lost their lives. In some cases, it was because they didn’t have trust in leadership. They felt as if their God would protect them. Some would say, they failed to think of the Bible’s verse that said don’t put God to a foolish test. The refusal to take precautions was heavy in other communities, at times even making it a political fight. The world was under attack.  In every place there was a leader, each leader was leading in their own way.

The author speaks of shifts in leadership. Whether or not we should rethink how we lead now versus how we have led in the past. It is valid to say that we have shifted from a once relaxed country to a short-fused one. There is political conflict, racial conflict, and religious conflict just to name a few. The opportunity to see things from the other side hardly exists. How could one person or a set of people lead in such a climate? It is evident, that they would need different approaches for each setting and true open hearts. This is where I believe that the contingency theories would apply.

Contingency Theory 

In the Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice, Lorsch states that leadership is shaped from birth. Having a person that fits in a situation rather than having a leader adapt to the situation is best according to the handbook. Some of the contingencies that one might encounter include the expectation of the followers, the size of the commitment, meeting cross-cultural differences, and different organizational tasks. A leader who is able to handle situations as times change and as the world shifts would be ideal.  I would like to believe we are as Rev. John Dillon, Jr. would say “world changers”. We have the tools, we have been ordained to lead and we can do so.

There will definitely be challenges that we will face as leaders, as the world changes day to day and year to year. The thought of rethinking how you lead is plausible, but rethinking leading is not. As Christian leaders, we should not forget that God did not say that there would not be afflictions (problems, changes, concerns, hiccups, denials, defeat, hate, jealousy, prejudice, evil, and ridicule), he said he would deliver us from them all. As we read the last post of our peers, my encouragement and motto to you is to love one another. Be exactly who God says that you are, press forward, and let’s lead!

• 1 Corinthians 16:13-14 – Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love.

Annabel C. Beerel, Rethinking Leadership: A Critique of Contemporary Theories(London New York: Routledge, 2021).

Jay Lorsch, Handbook of Leadership Theory and Practice. (Boston:2010).

Shonell Dillon

A daughter of the KING of kings and the LORD of lords. A lover of LIFE!

5 responses to “I am who God says I am.”

1. mm Daron George says:

Shonell,

I really like your integration of personal and community experiences with broader leadership theories and how you discuss the impact of the pandemic on your community, highlighting the losses and the distrust in leadership that exacerbated the situation.

Shonell,
    This is encouraging me to pray for our next president:

“having a leader adapt to the situation is best according to the handbook. Some of the contingencies that one might encounter include the expectation of the followers, the size of the commitment, meeting cross-cultural differences, and different organizational tasks. A leader who is able to handle situations as times change and as the world shifts would be ideal. ”

Thank you for your encouragement

3. Shonell,
    Thank you for your post and for reminding us that God calls us and God ordained us for the mission ahead! I am grateful for you and your leadership!

Thank you for the great post and the great years together. God will deliver us and I am grateful for your reminder as we all Rethink our Leadership. May God continue to bless you.

Great post!

I love the verse that you share: 1 Corinthians 16:13-14 – Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love.