How much proximity do you need to master a threshold concept?

Is threshold concepts a threshold concept for you yet?

Robert Coven made a note during his Ted talk that “Questions are more important answers.” (1) This made me reflect on people that I know that are asking questions. Right now I have a gaggle of kiddos running around which leads me to my first inquisitors asking me questions multiple times an hour often times at rapid fire pace. Generally I haven’t even processed the initial question before they have offered up a follow up to their unanswered question hanging in the air. Some of the best advice I got as a teacher was that when a child asks you a question, you should answer them and then return a question back to them. This has been so helpful both in teaching and being a mother. The most inquisitive minds that you will ever have in your presence is that of children. For fun I thought I would provide a link of a list of books that help you ask questions to kids.

Books to teach children how to ask questions.

Questions are how our world has progressed into what it is today. In the video he gave an example on how individuals used to complete research in the library. I remember this tedious process and also the thrill of the search. However, somewhere down the line someone asked the question how this process could improve and now we have one of the most robust systems/platform known as Google.

Questions has also been contributed to shaping leaders. I found an interesting article about this which it notates 7 reasons on how people who love to ask questions are great leaders. (2)

1. They can empathize.

2. They aren’t afraid to ask for help.

3. They never stop learning.

4. They are confident but brilliant.

5. They are able to frame problems and solutions.

6. They are great listeners.

7. They don’t have tunnel vision.

Questions have also been shown to link people emotionally to each other. People are drawn to individuals that ask questions. It’s not hard to simplify why. People like feeling loved, and cared about. When people are asked questions it shows that the person cares about them. Why else would they take the time to inquire?

So the next question would be… how do we make asking questions a threshold concept? You have to ask questions. You look up questions to memorize and slowly work into your conversations. You ask yourself questions to guide your curiosity. As a now professional threshold inquisitor you learn how to ask open ended questions, and then you learn how to ask them in a way to elevate them further. “When you ask big questions, you get bigger answers.” (3)

Threshold concepts is such a fun topic! One thing that I love about this program is that I am continuously learning and I love learning. Before this semester I had never heard about a threshold concept. I stopped to think what has been something that became a threshold concept to me and I thought about the time I was launched into ASL (American Sign Language.) When I was a teacher I volunteered two weeks into the school year to move to another school teaching fourth grade math and science. I had been teaching kindergarten and first grade at the school for several years, and a new teacher in our campus had just settled in. Administration came in to our little first grade group and told us that our sweet newbie was going to have to go due to numbers. When she burst into tears I immediately said… “I will go. You can stay.” I dont know what came over me. It was a bold move especially with a 3 and 1 year old in tow. I also absolutely loved my little first graders that I had gotten to know the last 2 weeks. I had a great class that year. Although I was not the one that was required to move but I had an overwhelming feeling that was what I was supposed to do, and my administrator asked me to go home and think about it. If I still wanted to take her place in the morning they would help me to move to the new school. The next day I moved to the new school… When I met my students I was initially in shock to find out that I had a section of students that were deaf. The expectation was that I was to use the translator provided, but after 1 week in of depending on them to convey my message I realized the only way that I could reach my students was to learn their language. That next week I told the students in choppy ASL “ I do not know ASL yet, but with your help I will learn.” By Christmas I had transitioned through submersion into a comfortable space with my kids. By the end of the year I transitioned to a threshold concept within ASL. I was having full conversations with them and able to explain as well as teach concepts with my new knowledge.  To this day my children will tell you that I flow in and out of English to ASL in different scenarios: typically using ASL as my MOM SUPER POWER. No one can hear me correct them, but coincidentally enough my kids listen faster and more effective to discipline in ASL than English.

How much proximity do you need for a threshold concept? I believe submersion was the key for me.

(1) Breaking through: Threshold concepts as a key to understanding: Robert Coven: TEDxCaryAcademy. YouTube. (2018, November 28). Retrieved November 24, 2022, from https://youtu.be/GCPYSKSFky4

(2) https://www.lifehack.org/288162/7-reasons-why-people-who-love-asking-questions-are-great-leaders

(3) Adam. (2021, November 15). Elevate your thinking by asking bigger and better questions. Adam Hergenrother. Retrieved November 24, 2022, from https://adamhergenrother.com/105-elevate-your-thinking-by-asking-bigger-and-better-questions/

Alana Hayes

Alana is a mother to four beautiful children and wife to a farmer in Texas. She is an avid world traveler with a heart for both the world and education. She is the president of the nonprofit Against the Grain Texas where they focus on providing education to children overseas and at risk adults in the states. To date the nonprofit has given almost $100,000 to individuals around the world. In her free time she loves spending meaningful time with people and reading to further her personal education.

One response to “How much proximity do you need to master a threshold concept?”

Alana,
    I like the additional research you put into asking questions. I am wanting to look at some of your sources!
    You know ASL! I am sure being submerged into the class with children using ASL sped up your learning process! I think it is great that you are still using this with your own children. I am curious how much you believe you have retained? When I went to Mexico, my ability to use new Spanish grew but then I lost the ability to speak Spanish once coming home. I did not speak Spanish regularly enough.
    I enjoyed learning about your work history and skills you have in this blog.