How did we get here, you are not supposed to be here…

Unraveling Unconscious Bias
Pragya Agarwal

After reading for some time, I turned the book over and noticed that there was a sticker on it that said
DC public library. I thought how in the heck did I get a library book? I admit I am a bit cheap when it
comes to books that I did not particularly select, but I am sure I did not order this from the DC library. I
started to wonder whether there was some bias against this book. I went to the library site to see if
maybe it had been booted from the shelves. To my surprise, it was still there, but it was noted that there
were only two copies. I guess I somehow lucked up and got the third.I have my own preferences when it comes to books, I like to have hardcover if they don’t cost too much.

It is just a preference though; I would not say that it is a bias as the author wrote about. I don’t think
that a paperback has any less value than any other book, it’s just one of those things. Unlike the biases
that many of us have learned throughout our lives. Many biases are unconscious while others are
conscious and passed down unconsciously.

The unconscious biases are what the author sets out to unravel. In the review of the novel, the author
speaks about many ways that we learn biases. We can learn them from family, close connections, and
even through our environments. We learn to think that something is better or greater about another
race, sex, party, etc. The author gives us many theories of how this could happen. As an example, she
shared her own personal story of how as a girl she was not supposed to be good at math. My favorite
part about her example is that she proved his theory to be wrong when she surpassed his genius.

Like the author, many times I can remember trying to prove biases wrong. Whether it was race or
disability there has always been a fight. My most vivid memory was having an African American older
lady tell me that my skin color was not acceptable for a certain college. Where would she have gotten
such a bias? After reading the book “Passing” it was clear that her ancestors had placed a belief inside of
her that the shade of skin made one person better than the other. Let’s just say little brown skin has
three degrees on her wall hoping to work on four.

In one of my most disappointing fights, a family member sat at the side of my hospital bed and told me
to quit school. She said you are sick you can’t go to school like the others. Sidebar (I am that person
when you say that I can’t, I am going to try my hardest to prove that I can). Who were the others? The
people who had not fought through middle school and high school with illnesses. The people who did
not know that God could do anything but fail. Her bias said that well people could be successful but sick
people needed to stay home and be sick. If you are wondering did I prove that unconscious bias wrong
that was my undergrad year 1999 and this is a doctorate program 21 years after my Master’s. God is so good.

Shonell Dillon

A daughter of the KING of kings and the LORD of lords. A lover of LIFE!

7 responses to “How did we get here, you are not supposed to be here…”

Shonnell,
    I liked the authors math story as well. 🙂
    I would love to hear more from the book you referenced- Passing. sounds insightful.
    Thanks for sharing how you have persevered in spite of adversity/sickness.

Shonell, Thank you so much for your post. I like how you took the theme of Agarwal’s book and talked about your own thoughts and experiences. I especially appreciate the tone of your blog, as it feels like you are inviting the reader comfortably in to have a conversation about a really important topic. I’m wondering, are you finding opportunities to have conversations with people in the coffee shop you’ve opened and if so, do the ideas we’re discussing in our class ever intersect those conversations?

Thanks, Shonell. Hoping you have a good weekend.

Shonnell, any time you share your story I am amazed and inspired by you! You ARE that person – the one who, when told she can’t do it, is then locked in to prove others wrong. Keep up the good work Shonnell!

And, for what it’s worth, I LOVE cheap, used, worn books. I have a bias for older, worn books.

You mentioned that, as Agarwal points out, unconscious biases are often learned. Where have you seen God unravel your own unconscious biases and replace them with truth?

Shonell, you are an inspiration! I love your mentality that no one is going to tell you you cannot do something because God can do anything! I understand chronic illness and sometimes it feels like it would be easier to just stay home in bed, to not try. I love your tenacity to push through and ignore the nay sayers. Way to break the mold!

Hi Shonell. Thank you for an easy, engaging read. You offered a great summary of the book and the way that it intersected your life. I love when you shared this, ” (I am that person when you say that I can’t, I am going to try my hardest to prove that I can).” That is inspirational! That can be used to tell other people not to give in or give up, no matter what battle they are facing. Keep sharing that story!

Shonnel,

Great post! What is something besides a book that you have come to realize was an unconscious bias?

Ps… I love that you proved your family member wrong! You are an inspiration!

Shonnel,

Great post! What is something besides a book that you have come to realize was an unconscious bias? Ps… I love that you proved your family member wrong! You are an inspiration!