How are Churches to react to a changing society

When I picked up Elliott’s Contemporary Social Theory I needed and introduction.  I was not sure I understood what it meant, after the first chapter, I still am not one hundred percent sure but I think I have a work towards it.  “What is Society” [1], this was a question I thought I had the answer for.  Turns out I needed to have my mind stretched on this.  In the discussion of Natalie and what society did she belong to, the one she was born in, the one she grew up in, the one she lived in, the one she worked in, or the society in which her boyfriend lived in, the argument could be made that these separate societies made up her whole but they were completely different.  What is the nature of society, and in my work, how does this nature affect how Christians can be a part of society and how do we reach out to those who we have been called to by God.

I am choosing to focus on Elliott’s discussion of Contemporary Critical Theory and Jurgen Habermas.  Habermas’ theory centered on a “marxist inspired philosophy to help the oppressed overcome their domination”[2] at the hands of oppressors. The problem I see with this theory is basically what Habermas said would happen has actually happened but in a way far more destructive than he thought.  “‘Newspapers’, writes Habermas, ‘changed from mere institutions for the publication of news into bearers and leaders of public opinion — weapons of party politics'” [3] , we have seen this happen to an extent that now, if you watch, or read, any news and it does not match to your philosophy, you scream “fake news” and dismiss it off hand.  Habermas’ theory seems to depend on people doing the right thing, and governments doing the right thing.  The biggest problem with this is, they don’t.  Over history, whether it is in ancient times, or modern times, what I see is governments working to keep themselves in business.  I truly believe this is where the church can intercede.  The church is supposed to be a place of justice and mercy.  I do agree with Habermas on the degradation of debate and the quality of political debate. [4]

The really unfortunate situation is the church, at least in Southern Baptist life, is feeding into this angry rhetoric.  I feel this is one of the issues that is holding the church back.  It has almost come to the point of bing politically identified with one group if you are an evangelical.  You can find people who swim against that current but for the most part it is an identification.  Not to be left out, there are other denominations where the opposite is true.  I think this identity drawn from a governmental institution is a danger to Christianity as commanded by Christ in the New Testament.  We are to be known by our love and yet most people can tell you what a Christian hates easier than what they love.  There is a self absorption within the western church that seems to trivialize the world around it. The capitalism driven church, along with our society is far more concerned with self gratification.  In his article on the Frankfurt Schools theories on capitalism, Stuart Jefferies asks if capitalism has died but no one was critical enough to notice it. [5]  The point of the Occupy movement and its affect on social norms within a culture of capitalism was to bring about a change in monetary distribution, the 99% vs the elite.   Habermas posits that the world will be better without capitalism but the problem is the other option we have is socialism and if you watch true socialism within most countries it has an oppression unique to itself.  Habermas is a dreamer, his idea is that there is a solidarity that is achievable.  I have not seen this to be the case.  I think this is where the church can make an impact.  If we are more concerned with reaching the word for Christ, and less concerned with how big our building is, or what programs we are running, then we will be more effective.

Habermas has a vision of a global community without borders.  This idealism does not always work.  Take the EU for example. The British exit from the EU has caused much concern, when a major economy decides to remove itself from the union, the question becomes, where does the money come from to make up the difference.  Of course, that was one of the driving factors of Brexit given, the propensity for the poorer countries to take advantage.  I think it is short sighted, no empire lasts forever, but there was enough angst within the U.K. for it to be voted on and passed.  This was a self centered vote.  A “Christian” nation decided its own interests out weighed the needs of the poorer.  The church has done the same thing.  So the question is, how do you change this tide.  How do we as Christians realize it is up to us to reach out, it is up to us to move in a direction where we can listen to others, not judge them if they are different and make an impact in their life for God.  If changes need to happen in lives, it is not up to us to force it. It is up to God and them. Our job is to love regardless.

[1] Elliott, Anthony. Contemporary Social Theory: An Introduction. 2nd ed. (London ; New York: Routledge, 2014). 3.

[2]    The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica. “Critical theory.” Encyclopædia Britannica. November 10, 2015. Accessed November 16, 2017. https://www.britannica.com/topic/critical-theory.

[3]  Elliott, Anthony. Contemporary Social Theory: An Introduction. 2nd ed. (London; New York: Routledge, 2014). 182.

[4]   Ibid. 183.

[5]  Jeffries, Stuart. “Why a forgotten 1930s critique of capitalism is back in fashion.” The Guardian. September 09, 2016. Accessed November 16, 2017. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/sep/09/marxist-critique-capitalism-frankfurt-school-cultural-apocalypse.

Jason Turbeville

A pastor, husband and father who loves to be around others. These are the things that describe me. I was a youth minister for 15 years but God changed the calling on my life. I love to travel and see where God takes me in my life.

12 responses to “How are Churches to react to a changing society”

Hi Jason! I appreciate this statement: “There is a self absorption within the western church that seems to trivialize the world around it” – yes! yes! yes! I might take that a step further to say it’s not just the church but our country as well. Here’s my question to you- how do we change this trajectory? The self absorption is on the rise, not the decline. I think we are having the conversations, but we aren’t making progress in reversing our ways. Your thoughts?

• Jason Turbeville says:

I agree that the self absorption is not just a church thing but a societal thing. In fact, I see it spreading to other cultures outside of the U.S. as well. The main issue I have with the church, is they seem to be mirroring the world instead of being an agent for change.

Hi Jason,

Us pastors can relate to each other, so I was glad to see your title, and even more glad to read your thoughts about the church. Your thought resonated with me when you said, “We are to be known by our love and yet most people can tell you what a Christian hates easier than what they love.”

Well said! For me it is a struggle to read other posts who support things that I see the Bible not supporting. So, my struggle is to share what I am for–without trying to divide and break others down. Do you have the same struggle?

• Jason Turbeville says:

I absolutely do, but I find it is much more constructive to ask questions to try to find out why someone thinks the way they do instead of just plowing ahead. Sometimes they even give me some insight into why I might be wrong on something.

Really interesting thoughts Jason. I love your emphasis every week on, Ok what does this mean for the local church!? It is his primary vehicle he has ordained to use his saints in the Great Commission. We can’t forget that.

Elliott’s dialogue of “what is society” seemed pretentious to me. If you asked those vague enough questions you could replace the word “society” with any other word. I tried it with “Church” “Business” “Nature” “relationship” and it all seemed to have the same effect.

Great example of the EU and occupy.

You said, “ If we are more concerned with reaching the word for Christ, and less concerned with how big our building is, or what programs we are running, then we will be more effective.” I say, Amen brother…I have often said I would have a difficult to pastor a church that only had the doors open on sunday morning. It is so easy to build our own kingdoms and miss the lost. I almost believe there should be any more church buildings built. We have enough if we just shuffled the smaller congregations out of the larger empty buildings and vice versa. (wishful thinking)

How does a church in middle America change its focus off of what American Christians views as successful and on to needs of people? I know, this is the million dollars question.

Jason,

Growing up I was introduced to Christ and salvation through Freewill Baptist, Southern Baptist, Baptist, Evangelical Free, and now just a plain old Christian who worships Christ in several interdenominational contexts. I think all the human-made religious denominations over time is a study in social theory too.

My eschatological social theory is not surprising and for a Christian, should be “matter of fact” based on what the Bible says (Matt. 24:6). How does that fit with your “contemporary critical theory?” I agree with you that the church and the body of Christ should be a safe place that points seekers and members toward Christ. It seems easy to point to Rom. 8:28, but why not?

6. Jason,

I agree with you that it’s problematic that we have linked Christianity and capitalism. Western Christian faith is increasingly impotent and more of a feel-good ideology.

Interestingly, Christianity seems to thrive in contexts of oppression, starting with the Roman Empire but also evidenced in countries which restrict the church – communist ones are examples, or more recently we are seeing signs of a thriving church emerge in places like Iran and Algeria.

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2017/august/christianity-is-rapidly-growing-in-iran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbM1KUeqQkE

Jason, I appreciate your thinking through Elliott and the implications for the church. I too was doing the same although with a different section focus. I am curious to hear how you implement love and dialogue and sharing what you are for in your church community? Do you have certain rhythms you practice? Do you see people in your congregation hungering for Jesus in the midst of a politically charged atmosphere? Does politics/capitalism seems to implicate the spirituality in your community?

• Jason Turbeville says:

Trisha,
      We actually are moving into a different way of looking at things where I pastor. Here are several ways I am trying to facilitate this. My church is a very old SBC church, and those types of churches usually don’t play well with others outside of their denomination. We actually joined a group of churches outside our denomination as a ministry group to share resources and provide preachers where needed, we have also invited a parachurch organization to use our facilities to bake breads and salsas that they sell to fund their halfway houses (for those trying to escape drug addiction). Another exciting event is we have now allowed a church that is a Vineyard church that was meeting in a local park on Saturday mornings to use our facilities now. This has been a very difficult adjustment to our congregations idea of what we are but they have been willing to stretch.

8. I love how you brought out the truth that as Christians we are to be known by our love. Which is not often found when people are more concerned with drawing battle lines and hating. This is not what I read about Jesus and how He treated those marginalized by society, including women. I also agree that the church was the first social agency and it needs to step up and be the main organization to meet social needs. How have you seen this in your church or community? Great post Jason!

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jake,
      We are seeing it play out in a few ways, we have a pantry that is available for anyone to drive up to and take what they need, we are sharing our facilities with groups that are outside our denomination. They are small steps but I think we are on the right track.