HK and motivations

I don’t believe that the end justifies the means.  To look at Hong Kong today, we see a thriving society and a highly developed economy. The British empire at the end of the 19th century was at its peak and spreading all across the world.  Its influence was strong and the East India Trading company was the arm that made many in the British government a fortune.  Motivations for the expansion of the Empire into the Asian market was not out of benefiting the Chinese living in this territory, the global market, nor thoughts of the future that could be built here.  Hong Kong and its history is really a story of arrogance and insensitivity for gain in fortune of a few.

When looking at this thriving city in which I am currently sitting, it is easy to see history from either the perspective of the British or the perspective of the Chinese.  It is just as easy to take sides as if looking backward into history gives us the right to judge all that went on.  In reading Tsang, Modern History of the Hong Kong, I learned a great deal on what the motivations were for many encounters these two very distinct groups had. The greed through the sale of the opium was a huge motivator for keeping and controlling this little corner of Asia.  Story after story was written about the manipulation of officials in order to keep that authority and their products moving so that money could be made.

What I found interesting as I read through this text was the lack of cultural sensitivity that took place on both sides.  Each approached the other’s envoys believing they were superior and had the upper hand in the negotiation.  They missed social and cultural cues (or simply ignored them) that led to an increase of hostilities.  There was one instance where a British representative in Guangzhou stated that they would no longer “kow tow” to an empire not as great as Britain.  Another time a Chinese leaderrefused to negotiate with the British and simply seized and destroyed opium belonging to East India Trading company.  This lead to escalation in fighting, blockades and ultimately an embarrassment for the Chinese people.  I do believe in both of these instances proper cultural training could have resulted in a very different outcome.

Post World War 2 was another of many examples where self center actions resulted in the loss of “face” where an alternative or compromise could have been reached.  The British not wanting to lose Hong Kong or the investment that they had in this area, defied western allies as well as Chinese leaders and laid claim once again to Hong Kong.  While the Ships were moving toward Hong Kong to accept the surrender from local Japanese occupational forces, Chinese leaders received word of the British intent to retake the city in the name of the Crown.  The recognized leader of the democratic party (Chiang Kai-Shek) asked the British if the Chinese could publicly accept the Japanese surrender for the whole country and then they could receive the surrender of the Japanese located in Hong Kong.  Shek was trying to find a compromise and save face.  Losing Hong Kong would be a public slap in the face and he was finding a middle ground.  The British refused and accepted the surrender for Hong Kong and the Chinese Country.  Once again

showing that British concerns superseded those of China.

The results of this fusion of British and Chinese lifestyle has been good overall for this city-state. “British rule also left its mark on Hong Kong in a more important and sustainable way.  it led to the rise of a people that remain quintessentially Chinese and yet share a way of life, core values and an outlook that resemble at least as much, if not more, that of an average New Yorker or Londoner, rather than that of their compatriots in China.”1. You can feel and see the difference between mainland China and Hong Kong as you walk the streets, see the people and interact with the culture. 

I don’t believe the end justifies the means.  I do not want to give the selfishness in the hearts of men and woman that wangled control of this area the satisfaction of knowing that I really enjoy this city.  I don’t believe that anyone could have known that annexing Hong Kong and the New Territories would save it from the chaos that arrived during mainland cultural revolutions and other atrocities that occurred post world war 2.   Hong Kong has developed a culture that has allowed to thrive socially and financially. Rather than give 

My family in Hong Kong Subway.

certain governments the glory I will give it to God.  He is able to take the messes we have selfishly produced and turn it into something that saves us from ourselves.  Now that Hong Kong is in the hands of the mainland government, it has continued to be a financial powerhouse for many companies-with all the good and bad that it brings.  As China continues to grow and stretches it influence around the world, we once again see an empire setting to benefit from the countries around the world with sometimes little regard from what is happening to the individuals in that particular country.  The lessons of the past are either forgotten or being ignored.  Hong  Kong and its history is a continuing story of arrogance and control, the players may be different but the motivation of control and financial gain remain the same.  Yet God has been in the center of it all and thrives in the hearts of many within this city.  I do look forward for you all to see and experience this unique part of God’s earthly kingdom.

1. Tsang, Steve. A Modern History of Hong Kong.(I.B. Taurus. 2007) 147

Greg

Greg has a wife and 3 children. He has lived and work in Asia for over 12 years. He is currently the Asia Director of Imanna Laboratories, which tests and inspects marine products seeking US Coast Guard certification. His company Is also involved in teaching and leadership development.

9 responses to “HK and motivations”

I am anxious to hear more about mainland China’s attitude towards HK. My experience is that those from HK definitely are still at “cultural war” with residents of mainland. Your thoughts?

• Greg says:

Jean there is story after story of how local HKers are frustrated by the influx of mainland tourist. Your see there are habits that Mainlanders have that the HKers are not tolerate of. (spitting, letting little kids pee on the trees…). Things are better and with the Mainland governments focus on creating a civilized society, mainland China has also begun to change.

2. david says:

Thanks for this post, Greg. Pow! Right from the first line, you lay out your position: “I don’t believe that the end justifies the means.” You then draw it out from the Tsang reading, your own experience and your principled position. Thanks for sharing on this, man!

3. Jennifer Williamson says:

Loved it right from the start. Just because something tuns out okay doesn’t mean that the way we got here was right, holy or good. Thanks for putting it in perspective.

I remember travelling from Hong Kong to inland China in 1988, ande being shocked by the difference. Hong Kong felt like an exotic San Francisco–wordly and cultured and rich. Inland China felt like a world trapped in a black and white film in the 50s. I was the first blonde-haired, blue-eyed person that many people had ever seen. I wonder how the contrast today compares with the contrast 30 years ago. IS it as stark?

• Greg says:

Wow Jenn, Mainland in the late 80s are night and day from today. I still have times that I will go to a little village and am the curiosity on display. Most of the time in the big cities, no one makes a big deal about my presence.

Thank you for this thoughtful and balanced review, Greg. I learned a lot from your assessment. I had a rough week and was unable to post, so I’m learning much from yours. It seems sad to me the brutal, arrogant (as you say) and perhaps greedy and selfish history of a city that has been exploited for a drug trade at the expense of millions. Still, as you say, God redeems. I am looking forward to seeing the church at work when we visit there.

• Greg says:

Praying for you Chris and your heal and make this move. This bodies are frail and I too am reminded how pain keeps us from doing what we need to do.

Greg, I keep thinking about the people of Hong Kong and their position in all of this. As a powerful nation and financially stable nation, how is it that they keep being absorbed into these other countries? Is there a way for them to be autonomous? Would this result in war? It just seems like there is so much corruption and lack of care for the people of the country due to the gain of those who see dollars and power from the outside. What do you think?

• Greg says:

Autonomy is a word that can get one in serious trouble. The powerhouse that China is now is stretching into all political arenas. There would not be the support for this move. China plays the long game and has been slowly setting up leaders within this city-state to keep, monitor and help citizens to remain loyal to the mother-land. Relationships and corruption are 2 very different things. Using your relationship credit to accomplish something is more accepted (publicly) and under the table deals is accepted privately. I am sure this happens a lot in the states as well, it it just handled in more round about ways. Where there is money, there are those that want more of it.