Here we go again!

And so it begins. Year 2 of the LGP doctoral program. Another challenging attempt to balance work, ministry, study, and home life all while attempting to maintain the remnants of any form of physical fitness or periods of R & R. Who thought this was a good idea?

As we attempt to develop as leaders, deepening our perspective, growing in our discernment, developing our abilities, gaining greater understanding of the global nature of the present world, we also need to be mindful of the example we are setting to our families, parishioners, students, colleagues and other passive observers. How will the imposition of challenging academic study affect our relationships, levels of stress, ability to listen etc. In short, will the academic study of leadership and the ensuing research we have all begun negatively impact our ability to lead?

In beginning the semester with the ‘Theology of Leadership Journal’ we are given opportunity to investigate broadly Christian leadership and perhaps consider some of the implications of our academic journey together. There are several worthwhile papers in this first edition, not the least of which is the investigation of the life of Saint Francis of Assisi, raising the question as to whether sainthood and leadership are compatible or contradictory. The life of Saint Francis as demonstrated in this essay may be a mirror for those in this program, providing glimpses of the paradoxical nature of our own leadership in this season of academic pressure.

Perhaps it’s the apparent mirth that Saint Francis allegedly maintained that is the aspect to grasp in our common struggle. “The Christian leader might examine the life of Francis and determine how best to keep a buoyant spirit while still tending drudgery.”[1]Or, maybe it’s the recognition that we need not pursue perfectionism lest we fail to maintain a modicum of humility necessary for Christ-like leadership. “So maybe the lesson is that God can work with imperfect leaders, so long as they devote themselves persistently to His (sic) service.”[2]Even more, his life may speak to the ability to endure suffering and trials that we have all come to anticipate (and already experienced for a year). “That he sustained his spirits through extreme trials of suffering makes him all the more admirable in an age that demands instant cures for what ails you.”[3]

While all of us are engaged in significant academic writing it behooves us to remember that in the life of Saint Francis we have predominantly an exemplar for living rather than a trove of theological musings. “What somebody like Francis actually thought and expressed is secondary to what he actually did, or what might be called the form of his life.”[4]Let us not neglect the visual example we provide even while we believe ourselves to be out of sight with our heads in a book or faces to the computer screen.

Additional articles in this first edition of the Journal also provide some insight into leadership archetypes. The exegesis of First Peter 1:1-5 and its connection to Authentic Leadership Theory draws inferences with the time period foundational to modern leadership perspectives. Striving to become authentic in our leadership may seem a natural biproduct of this program but, perhaps there is more to it than simply reading various texts on leadership. The Authentic Leadership Theory espouses the idea that; “Authentic leaders possess a high degree of self-awareness and self-acceptance, and are guided by strong personal positive core values…..”[5]These traits do not come from reading great texts on leadership or even by dialoging with a fantastic lead mentor. No, these characteristics are honed over time through strong mentoring relationships, sometimes trial by error, and a willingness to admit mistakes. We have the great privilege of being immersed in a cohort model that provides opportunity for much of this to occur throughout this academic process. However, let’s not take this at all for granted and endeavor to make the priority our character development rather than the completion of a dissertation.

Finally, the journal reminded us that much of what constitutes leadership in our career contexts is not what is consistently demonstrated in the biblical text. “The secular world of leadership and its hopes for positioning a leader for success when it comes to productivity and profit is very different from the Bible’s vision for life.”[6](98) Again, while this may seem to be a given in our program it is important that we keep that realization at the forefront of our readings. How will we define leadership for ourselves in the coming months and years? How will our leadership change, for good or for ill, as a result of the challenges faced through this program? How will we encourage one another in leadership development, ‘spurring one another on’,[7]through our blog responses and weekly chat sessions?

I am encouraged to be on this journey together with you all. I couldn’t do it without you and recognize that I have a great deal to learn from all of you even when I am reticent to admit it. Only approximately fourteen more weeks to reach the mid-point of this arduous journey. Hang on tight.

[1]Harter, Nathan. “Saint and Leader? The Example of St. Francis of Assisi.” Theology of Leadership Journal1, no. 1 (2018). P. 33

[2]Ibid.

[3]Ibid. p. 30

[4]Ibid. p. 31

[5]Holmquist, Daniel B. “Authentic Leadership Theory: Enhancements from.” Theology of Leadership Journal1, no. 1 (2018). P. 93

[6]Ross, Larry F. “Week Enough to Lead.” Theology of Leadership Journal1, no. 1 (2018). P. 98

[7]Hebrews 10:24, New International Version

Dan Kreiss

Former director of the Youth Ministry program at King University in Bristol, TN and Dean of the School of Missions. I have worked in youth ministry my entire life most of that time in New Zealand before becoming faculty at King. I love helping people recognize themselves as children of God and helping them engage with the world in all its diversity. I am particularly passionate about encouraging the church to reflect the diversity found in their surrounding community in regard to age, gender, ethnicity, education, economic status, etc. I am a husband, father of 4, graduate of Emmanuel Christian Seminary, an avid cyclist and fly-fisherman still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

7 responses to “Here we go again!”

Hi Dan! Welcome back to Fall semester (both at GFU and King U). I can’t wait to catch up.

Thank you for highlighting such important points in your blog – especially this quote:
    “So maybe the lesson is that God can work with imperfect leaders, so long as they devote themselves persistently to His (sic) service.”

I am constantly reminded that my imperfections actually improve my leadership – each step of the way mistakes and failures shape me into a better, more human leader. How will you integrate these articles into your program director position at King?

2. I know exactly what you mean, Dan! I recently interviewed Drew Moser, Dean of Experiential Learning at Taylor University and he gave the best advice. He said that, “It’s impossible to live in balance, but important to live in rhythms.” Theology of Leadership Journal invites us to take a step away from the impending tasks and take time for personal and cooperate introspection. It was the perfect book to start the new year.

I found the struggle of Saint Francis interesting, because I found that his idea of humanity was tied to his theological perception of God. You highlighted the quote, “The Christian leader might examine the life of Francis and determine how best to keep a buoyant spirit while still tending drudgery.” This is imperative and ties to the idea of authenticity within leadership. Many leadership books encourage readers to engage in positive thought; however, it’s my belief that this has increased isolation and depression especially amongst Christian leaders. We’ve come to the false belief that God is somehow impressed with our optimistic utterances, instead of our actual thoughts.

You state that, “…it’s the recognition that we need not pursue perfectionism lest we fail to maintain a modicum of humility necessary for Christ-like leadership.” This is powerful! Do you think that this is why so many leaders are facing devastation within the church? Have we created false expectations for Christian leaders, including ourselves?

Hi Dan,

Your opening cracked me up, “…Who thought this was a good idea?”

Thanks for the words on St. Francis. Seems like many folks in the Cohort honed in on him. And for good reason.

I am trying to attach a picture that I think sums up your Blog. I will give it a try to attach it.

Jay

Dan. I love how you expressed in the beginning what we are all feeling….who did think this was a good idea 🙂

I like the thought that studying something might lead to us not doing it well. The old adage, “those that can’t, teach” comes to mind here.

I appreciated the challenge to “to make the priority our character development rather than the completion of a dissertation.” It is easy to see the end goal to be a degree or a written rather than the transformation of our character.

5. Welcome back Dan! I love the fact that you highlighted how valuable it is for our leadership development to be in the awesome cohort we are. Also that our dissertation is not the only thing we will come out of this process with. I feel like I already have developed life-long relationships that I will cherish and I appreciate what you offer to out cohort.

6. Dan,

It’s great to have you back this semester. Your photos of kayaking and cycling this summer were good proof that you are maintaining a good work-life balance!! 🙂

I like how you articulate that authentic leadership comes from being in relationship with others, rather than being something acquired through reading texts alone.

Dan, I am grateful for your honest and thoughtful post. This is quite a journey and your reflexive questions about how we will consider our own leadership in this journey are important. They remind me of Mary’s work with us on our PLDPs. I think your questions would be good ones to consider as we face the semester(s) ahead.
    My prayers are with you that you are able to care for your body and soul as you care for your family and work in the coming months.