Good Concepts Good Tools

As a student over the past few decades I have always thought of myself as a critical thinker.  Usually I am not one for group think.  I like to see myself as open minded about how others see the world.  I am not so sure I have ever been a critical thinker.  As I was working on my first iteration of my annotated bibliography this week, I was looking for articles, books, etc. that would fit into my narrative of what I thought was wrong with the North American church today.  It was easy to do because many people have written on the subject of materialistic churches.  Of course, this is a materialistic society and as such we clammer for more and more.

So as I read Critical Thinking, Paul and Elder brought to light something I need to be aware of in working through my dissertation.  In their discussion of Essential Intellectual Traits they compare and contrast from and intellectual standpoint.  How does one have humility in intellect?  You have to understand you do not know everything.  Being a courageous intellect involves being able to question what you know.  Empathy means seeing things from another persons point of view. [1]    In looking for the answers to my questions of how to change the DNA of a church, I have to be willing to question everything I was taught in seminary, and to a certain extent question those who have been a part of my growth as a pastor.

In saying all this, I did feel as though I was reading a mini manifesto of being told how to think and I am always wary of this.  In fact, although there are groups of people who consider themselves critical thinkers, I seem to see just the opposite in whatever debate I wander into.  For example in an article I read today the headline is as follows: Millennials: Communism Sounds Pretty Chill.  It is a fairly brief article but it discusses a survey conducted by Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation that found 71% of millennials have a favorable view of socialism and communism and the dangers perceived by the author.  What really interested me was the discussion board at the bottom of the article.  It was riddled with comments on the perceived ignorance of seeing someone such as Kim Jong Un as a hero and the just as ugly comments back from the other side deriding any knowledge of anything.[2]  I would venture both sides of this particular argument would consider themselves a critical thinker but both probably are not if the posts are any indication.  I see the same attitudes in church.  If you mess with what I like we are going to have a problem and we are not going to be nice about it.  So, how does one go about trying to bring about change while taking away the toys.  That will take a mountain of critical thinking.

The discussion of Egocentric Thinking will also help in my work towards a solution through my dissertation.  The problem of egocentricity is, as humans, we do not innately considered the rights and needs of others.  This is at odds of where we are supposed to be as Christians.  The statements at the end of the page ring true to the way most Christians approach their relationship with God.  “It’s true because I believe it”- the innate egocentrism that we believe even though we don’t question why.  This comes together with the “we’ believe it as well.[3]  This continues on until you get to the statement “It’s true because it is in my selfish interest to believe it”[4].  Most church goers would probably agree, we believe because we want to know there is something bigger than us.  So this is not always a bad way to look at things, as long as we can focus on understanding why we believe, not just because we want to.  Another big issue in the church is also found in Sociocentric Thinking.  The idea that my group, race, nation, is better than all others.  It is just as self-serving as egocentric thinking.  It is just on a larger scale.  The authors argue “Sociocentric thinking is a hallmark of an uncritical society.  It can be diminished only when replaced by a cross-cultural, fairminded thinking — critical thinking in the strong sense”[5]  To the reader of the New Testament, this is what Jesus was advocating for, it was the reason Paul was chosen to take a message of reconciliation to God outside of his people.

The idea that we need to be a critical thinker as students, and should be critical thinkers as Christians is of high importance.  If we refuse to see the world and our relationship with it through a critical lens, we will fail to reach the world.  We have to be able to question the inadequacy of our churches, why we are not reaching a world that desperately need Christ, and find a solution.  So, what is the solution?  Hopefully by the end of our three years together I will be able to, in some sense, answer that question.  Until then, learn to be a critical thinker.  Question why you are researching whatever it is you are looking into and then find the answer.

[1] Paul, Richard and Linda Elder. The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking: Concepts and Tools.Dillon Beach, CA: Foundation for Critical Thinking, 2003. p 14-15.

[2] https://www.marketwatch.com/(S(rnrsydaynixa5x55oiibxm45))/story/millennials-communism-sounds-pretty-chill-2017-11-01?link=MW_story_latest_news

[3]Paul, Richard and Linda Elder. The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking: Concepts and Tools.Dillon Beach, CA: Foundation for Critical Thinking, 2003. p 21.

[4] Ibid. 21.

[5] Ibid. 22.

Jason Turbeville

A pastor, husband and father who loves to be around others. These are the things that describe me. I was a youth minister for 15 years but God changed the calling on my life. I love to travel and see where God takes me in my life.

13 responses to “Good Concepts Good Tools”

Jason,

I reviewed your annotated bibliography before reading your post. It hit me right away, your problem and my problem connect. Your research question asks, “What influences are causing the church to be more inward focused and less engaged with the world around them.” My question is, “Why is the North American church marginalizing its response to the threat of spiritual warfare?” By using the mini-guide and comparing both of our questions, it appears that both of our research groups struggle with resisting Satan.

Are the “toys” you talk about God given, or Satan given. That is the real question right, and how well do we as ministry leaders recognize the subtle deceptions, near truths, and outright lies that our congregants are receiving without first being Biblically filtered and reviewed by the Holy Spirit. You might consider using the mini-guide as a “shell” to formulate your own set of research questions appropriate for your research question.

Maybe we can share sources, because in many cases the underlying source of the problem in our church are the schemes of the devil.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mike,
      I do think our questions are intertwined. When we as Christians don’t shield ourselves with the armor of God we leave ourselves open to the slings and arrows as it were. The problem is, the slings and arrows in the N. American church don’t come packaged as such, they are shiny and pretty. They look good but seem to draw us away from Christ.

Hi Jason,
    I have to admit your cited survey (which is hot off the press even!) about Millennials struck me as shocking. However, employing critical thinking skills allowed me to seek an understanding as to why millennials feel put off by capitalism. And in fact, their beliefs align closer to Biblical principals – “The fact that Millennials want a more socially and economically inclusive society doesn’t necessarily mean they are embracing old-school socialism or communism. Perhaps they are really redefining the words in their own terms” which include social justice, ensuring each family is financially provided for, caring for the environment. We need to be cognizant of the culture and financial struggles this generation grew up in and be slow to label them as lazy, anti-democratic socialists. I too struggled with this until I was “schooled” by a brilliant millennial colleague.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/this-is-why-millennials-favor-socialism_us_58ed0feae4b0145a227cb8d3

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jean,
      I read your post and while there are some great points, the problem I generally have is while a man like Bernie Sanders says free college, etc., there was no good plan on how to pay it and then he has three million dollar houses. I get a little nervous when the government is the one who wants to take the money. My suggestion has always been, the church is the one that needs to step up and take care of those who need it. The church abdicated that role to the government and I don’t think that has been a good thing. I am not saying I have all the answers but I get a little concerned when, those who want socialism say people like Kim Jong Un are seen as heroic. I think both sides need to give a little and meet in the middle. What do you think.

3. Chris Pritchett says:

Hey Jason, I resonated with your post on every account. I don’t even have anything constructive to offer. I appreciate how you opened with personal experience. You are a good critical thinker who embodies intellectual humility and empathy. You’re appropriately critical of things in the church that grip us and cause others harm- like materialism and racism. I like how you even used your critical thinking to offer suspicion about the potential over-statement of their claim that this little book is the Bible for how to think and should be carried everywhere we go. Like you, I found aspects of it very valuable, like the egocentric and sociocentric thinking, and the need for intellectual virtues–these things are critically needed in today’s public discourse. But while I will try to bring the principles into my conversations and research, I think I’ll leave the actual book accessible on the shelf. 🙂

• Jason Turbeville says:

Chris
      I agree this book may have some uses but I think we need to rely more on what God has given us in his word. Take for example, feed my sheep, that is a call for us to take care of those who God has given us to take care of. Hope all is well.

Jason,

Being a Critical thinker sometimes is an lofty goal. I think as a human that struggles with seeing beyond myself, I wonder if the tension that is inherent in our nature is there to remind us we are not God. It is easy for us all to become socio or egocentric. How do we as scholars studying a topic keep from feeling like we are truly are the expert on a particular issue? Maybe I am one that feels that if we come to the place we are recognized as an expert we might buy into that deception and stop the growth we need to be on. Great and honest post of where we are all living.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Greg

I am terrified to be called an expert on anything. I don’t know if I could ever carry that mantle. I think the best way to approach life is in humility and to try to give a helping thought or hand where we can. By the way hope all is well.

5. Like Mike, I too, perused the beginnings of your annotated bibliography. Wow, you have an incredible challenge, but I love where you are going with this research.

I’m wondering have you have considered how historical cycles impact and reflect in the health of the church just as they do in society? It feels to me as I sit here just outside the fringe of the upper right corner of America (I can see Maine from my window), that the capitalist society built over the past 200 years is waning. People feel betrayed by capitalism. Political systems are corrupt and self-serving.

How much has our capitalist system shaped current evangelicalism? Are there other models outside the US where you witness life in the church?

I will pray for you as you explore all of this. Best wishes, brother.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mark,

You pose an interesting question of seeing the church move elsewhere. In Venezuela, a socialist society on the brink of revolution I fear, there are churches that are doing amazing things. They have nothing except the word of God and the prayers of their brothers and sisters, and yet I know 6-7 pastors and churches that are reaching many for Christ. They are coming together to do life as best as they can, with no food and no money. It’s interesting to me that they are spiritually thriving while the N. American church is struggling to stay relevant. Relevant does not change lives, I think that is where the church has lost it’s way. How do we get back to that is the biggest question.

6. Hey Jason, I loved your transparency in your post and the way you analyzed your own research into your dissertation topic. I agree that many of us think we are good critical thinkers until we critically look at our thinking. I also agree with you that we need to get away from sociocentric thinking if we are going to be good critical thinkers at all. I’m curious about the area that you feel you will need to work at the most in order to model healthy critical thinking, especially in your research. Great post as always my friend!

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jake,
      I think the place where I need to be able to apply a critical mind is this: how do I justify having so much when there are so many who have none. That is the 64,000 question for us I think. Thank you so much for your encouraging words. They mean an awful lot.

Jason, great post. I think you gave me some of the insight I have been looking for in this topic. I am a very critical thinker when it comes to my own research and study…the reality is that I try to find the connection or conflict in everything. I study science, history, culture, and any other topic that comes up when it comes to debunking things outside of my biblical world…believe me…I am opinionated, but hopefully open-minded. However, what I took from your post was that though I am thorough with my own study, I am not as eager to pass on all of the knowledge I have gained, but rather desire to only preach the Gospel. I think I always worry that too much information can cloud the issues or plant confusion in the listeners. I appreciate that you pointed out the reality of the millennial generation; I fear they gather little information but make huge decisions. I suppose I figure if they only get a little information, I want it to be all bible.

Looks like we both have some work to do over the next 3 years.