Girard’s Gaze: Peering into the Mimetic Mysteries of Leadership

The Intro

In ‘The Scandal of Leadership: Unmasking the Powers of Domination in the Church,’ J.R. Woodward offers a compelling theological exploration of church leadership. Woodward delves deeply into Walter Wink’s ‘Theology of the Principalities and Powers,’ examining the spiritual forces at play in leadership contexts. He also engages thoughtfully with René Girard’s insights on how mimetic desire influences dynamics within religious communities. Woodward considers William Stringfellow’s concept of leadership, viewing it through the lens of prophetic, incarnational leadership[1]. This book not only challenges conventional perspectives but also invites a profound rethinking of the role and impact of leadership within the church. When thinking of leadership, I often think of a speech by Dr. King where he states, “What is needed is a realization that power without love is reckless and abusive and that love without power is sentimental and anemic.[2]” Thinking of this quote while reading Woodward’s work, I came across an idea that has gripped me this week.

The Idea

Before engaging with Woodward’s work, I was unfamiliar with René Girard’s ‘mimetic desire theory.’ However, the more I read, the more my interest in this theory grew. In an effort to understand it better, I took some time to gain a cursory understanding of Girard’s concept. Mimetic desire, as Girard developed, suggests that human desires are not original or self-generated but are imitated or borrowed from others. This imitation extends beyond just behaviors and words. According to mimetictheory.com, “While Plato and Aristotle and their heirs confined imitation to behaviors and words and external ‘things’, Girard realized that human powers of imitation extend into the very core of our beings—to what we desire and to how we form our identities. Mimesis, then, is a constituent part of human nature.[3]

Woodward’s exploration of this theory in ‘The Scandal of Leadership’ further deepens this understanding. He illustrates that “Although there is initially a difference between the model and the imitator, such as the distinction between disciple and their pastor, eventually these differences reach a vanishing point, where the progressive and mutually reinforcing mimesis between model and imitator starts to lack any differentiation, making them doubles of each other.[4]”  He continues with Girard’s observations that “genius novelists reveal truths about human nature better than do present-day social and human scientists.[5]” which leads to a reflection on how mimetic desire, the imitation of our models’ desires, shapes leadership.

The Mimetic and Leadership

The mimetic theory’s implications are evident in the church leadership landscape. We’ve seen how well-known leaders like Carl Lentz[6] fell into a scandal that mirrored issues he had critiqued in others, a clear illustration of mimetic desire in action. Similarly, the rise and fall of megachurch pastors like Mark Driscoll[7] and Bill Hybels[8] can be viewed through this lens, their leadership styles seemingly imitating and amplifying both the positive and negative traits of their predecessors or contemporaries.

Furthermore, Woodward’s discussion about the ‘falling’ of Christian leaders resonates with the notion of leaders being drawn to domineering power, as seen in various scandals. These situations echo Woodward’s assertion that ‘Leaders are falling to the lure of domineering power in epidemic proportions.[9]” does not stop with Christian leaders of churches. The cases of leaders like Jerry Falwell Jr.[10], who strongly aligned with political ideologies, show how mimetic desire can extend beyond the church walls, influencing leaders’ stances and actions.

The Question

This begs the question: who are Christian leaders mimicking? If Girard’s theory is accurate, and leaders within the Christian context continue to fall, we must acknowledge a more significant issue in Christian leadership than initially thought. It’s not just individual failures but a systemic pattern, a reflection of the mimetic desire at play. Woodward’s insights should push us to examine our leadership models and their influence on our actions and decisions. It challenges us to be mindful of whom we are imitating and the consequences of these imitations in our leadership journey. Ultimately as Woodward says, “We become what we love, and ultimately, what we love is what we worship.[11]”, more leaders (myself at the top of that list) need to mimic Christ so that we can embody true leadership.

[1]  “Scandal of Leadership (JR Woodward) Review.” n.d. Www.youtube.com. Accessed November 30, 2023. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Uo97Tkz24.

[2]  Libro.fm. 2015. “A Call to Conscience by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (Audiobook Excerpt).” YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBXxYMEMLPs.

[3]  “Mimesis versus Imitation.” 2019. Mimetic Theory. September 9, 2019. https://mimetictheory.com/articles/mimesis-versus-imitation/#:~:text=While%20Plato%20and%20Aristotle%20and.

[4]  J.R. Woodward, The Scandal of Leadership: Unmasking the Powers of Domination in the Church (Cody, WY: 100 Movements Publishing Academic, n.d., 2023). p240

[5] J.R. Woodward, The Scandal of Leadership: Unmasking the Powers of Domination in the Church (Cody, WY: 100 Movements Publishing Academic, n.d., 2023). p238

[6] https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/05/us/carl-lentz-hillsong-pastor.htmlGraham,%20R.%20(2020,%20December%205).%20The%20rise%20and%20fall%20of%20Carl%20Lentz,%20the%20celebrity%20pastor%20of%20Hillsong%20Church.%20The%20New%20York%20Times.%20https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/05/us/carl-lentz-hillsong-pastor.html

[7] “‘The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill’: The Abuses of a Superstar Pastor and Megachurch Ruins Left Behind.” n.d. Www.wbur.org. https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2022/01/20/mars-hill-mark-driscoll-podcast. ‌

[8] Smietana, Bob. 2018. “Willow Creek Elders and Pastor Heather Larson Resign over Bill Hybels.” News & Reporting. August 8, 2018. https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2018/august/willow-creek-bill-hybels-heather-larson-elders-resign-inves.html.

[9] J.R. Woodward, The Scandal of Leadership: Unmasking the Powers of Domination in the Church (Cody, WY: 100 Movements Publishing Academic, n.d., 2023). p53

[10] Gabriel Sherman, G. L. (2022, January 24). Inside Jerry Falwell Jr.’s unlikely rise and precipitous fall at Liberty University. Vanity Fair. https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/01/inside-jerry-falwell-jr-unlikely-rise-and-precipitous-fall

[11] J.R. Woodward, The Scandal of Leadership: Unmasking the Powers of Domination in the Church (Cody, WY: 100 Movements Publishing Academic, n.d., 2023). P226

Daron George

- Something cool goes here -

5 responses to “Girard’s Gaze: Peering into the Mimetic Mysteries of Leadership”

1. Excellent summary, Daron. When you were pastoring a church, was there someone in particular that you were immitating? Knowingly or otherwise?

• mm Daron George says:

Laura,

I have imitated people knowingly. I was taught when I was a young pastor to find a few styles of preaching and leadership you like and imitate those, and in the imitation, you will find your voice. It worked well for me and helped me be formed into the person I am today. If I knew what I know now I would have picked some different voices for a few different reasons.

2. mm David Beavis says:

Great work, Daron. You summarized my favorite book of the semester clearly and concisely. Yes, there is a major, arguably demonic problem with Christian leaders imitating the powers and principalities of the world rather than the self-emptying way of Jesus. This line from Woodward stands out to me in particular: “When we carry a ladder rather than a cross, we become servants of death. When we climb for prestige, power, or money, we become servants of death. However, when we seek to imitate the crucified one, we become servants of life.” (p. 166)

Is there are leader in your life who is embodying/imitating the self-emptying way of Jesus?

3. mm Daron George says:

David,

I currently do not have a leader that I am embodying/imitating the self-emptying way of Jesus, but I do need to find that person. Since I’ve stepped down from being a pastor, it has been hard for me to identify that person. I have been in a “desert” recently, trying to detach myself from something I’ve done for almost 20 years to make sure what I do, say, and believe is authentically me.

4. mm Chad McSwain says:

Daron,
    Great summary of Scandal of Leadership and mimetic desire. This was a new concept for me but one I’ve heard often: “churches often imitate their pastor.” The implication being that pastors knowingly and unknowing influence the lives and spiritual journey of those in their church. All of this is a mind-blowing reality to steward.
    That’s why I admire the choice you made to step out of formal leadership and stay a member of your church. It models a willingness to lay aside power and position while elevating the importance of community. You are influencing your community more than you realize.