Free Market Ministry?

I barely passed my course in economics at Kent State University.  Perhaps it was because I sat next to the leader of students for a democratic society (SDS) who constantly poured forth his communist theory and seemed to have a special rapport with the professor.  Or, perhaps it was because I did not see the practical benefit of the course.  Or, perhaps it was simply because I was a poor student.  Most likely it was a combination of all three with an emphasis on the last one!  At any rate, economics has never been a particular interest of mine until lately.  I am now realizing the need for congruent and consistent thinking regarding theology and economics; how interdependent they are daily living, especially regarding our relationships.

The last 10-15 years has witnessed a shift towards more relational and organic ministry.  The phrase “relational” has become almost mundane due to overuse.  But, the idea of profit is not mundane!  Even in the free market economy of ministry!  A corrupted view of ministry profit can result in misguided ministry and discarded relationships.  Do we really engage ministry for the “flourishing of each person?”  Unfortunately, I agree with Cavanaugh who suggests the 24/7 blast of marketing is an influence difficult to overcome and often one’s theology becomes subservient to one’s economics.

William Cavanaugh writes in Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire, “The key question in every transaction is whether or not the transaction contributes to the flourishing of each person involved, and this question can only be judged, from a theological point of view, according to the end of human life, which is participation in the life of God.”*  Reflecting an Augustinian viewpoint, a free market transaction should be beneficial to all parties.  This can also be applied to ministry.  However, I have experienced instances that are contrary to this viewpoint.

As part of a church planting ministry in Eastern Europe I have seen ministry conducted in ways that do not promote life in God.  Here are some of those instances.  Nationals have engaged ministry with the midguided hope that the missionary checkbook would open without accountability or end.  Missionaries convey an inkling, overtly or subconsciously, that funding may be available even before substantive ministry discussion has taken place.  Relationships have been molded around the idea of “partnerships” which are little more than “resource fellowships.”  Missionaries have discarded relationships because the national does not “produce” quickly enough to satisfy missionary supporters who underwrite the livlihood of the missionary and the mission projects.  Relationships with nationals are “detached” (to use Cavanaugh’s terminology) in favor of more promising (economically speaking) relationships.

Now that more individual churches are acting as mission agencies, the picture is even more complex.  The globalization of mission (isn’t that kind of crazy terminology???) invites everyone to jump into the water even before finding out the depth or temperature!  Mission projects are “bought” and then discarded quickly for new and more exciting projects reflecting the “consumer” mentality and all the while turning away from relationships with devastating consequences.  I have seen large churches completely reject mission projects simple because they were not big enough!  Mission pastors are leveraged by their congregations to provide “mission trips” regardless the meaningfulness of the trip as long as it gives members the chance to travel in the guise of ministry.

Just a few days ago I received a message from a man that I have known for several years.  He is a Serbian with whom I have worked with some years ago.  At that time his leadership was wanting and he quit.  He is older and wiser now and much more mature in his relationship with God.  He asked for some assistance in his new ministry and I was glad to respond positively.  It is not big, it will not make it into the pages of Churchianity Today (sorry for the misspelling), but I believe He has a genuine heart for his people and I will walk with him to help others find their life in God.

*William T. Cavanaugh. Being Consumed: Economics and Christian Desire (p. viii). Kindle Edition. 

gfesadmin