Four recommendations for Shalom

Rare Leadership: 4 Uncommon Habits for Increasing Trust, Joy, and Engagement in the People You Lead is a refreshing book that focuses on emotional intelligence and fast thinking, albeit from a Christian perspective. It moves away from the popular results-driven leadership model, or one that is geared simply towards problem-solving, to one that focuses on the book’s four-fold thesis: building relationships, living out of our identity in Christ, returning to joy, and enduring hardship well. To this end, the authors write:

Our true identity is like a seed … [w]hen the plant fails to get enough water or sun or proper soil, or when someone steps on the plant or damages it in some way, the process of maturing gets disrupted. The identity of the plant has not changed, but its ability to fulfill its potential will not be reached in the same way it would have if it had been allowed to mature.[1]

To help us better understand this, it also proposes that the indicators of this type of leadership are trust, joy and engagement.

The authors are both respected, experienced and scholarly Christian leaders. Marcus Warner is a theologian and leader at Deeper Walk while Jim Wilder is chief neurotheologian at Life Model Works. Both leaders each have more than 30 years of leading, teaching and writing on various aspects of Christian leadership. The book is organized into two main sections, the first addressing the value and dynamics of understanding fast-track leadership and the second section focusing on building RARE leadership. Reading Warner and Wilder reminded me of other books on some of the important subjects they cover. In contrast to Jeffrey Sachs’ The Ages of Globalization, which discusses a critical subject with practically no reference to God, Rare Leadership continually points to God thereby acknowledging His preeminence in human affairs. The book also brings to mind Kahneman’s remarkable book Thinking Fast and Slow, with its emphasis on the importance of intuition in decision making.[2]

Rare Leadership is relevant because in this time, which the Bible describes as “perilous,” and where anxiety, distrust, dissatisfaction and disengagement levels seem to be at an all-time high, it fosters a leadership environment where there is trust, joy and engagement. Within my ministry context, for instance, what the book teaches can be used to promote principle-centered and relationship-orientated leadership, instead of unethical leadership or one that is merely results-driven or problem-solving orientated. It may also help promote a greater appreciation for competence instead of nepotism; mutually-respectful egalitarianism instead of hierarchy just for the sake of tradition, even when the tradition does not seem to be working in our favor. Further, Rare Leadership could also be a catalyst for promoting Christian identity and the need for endurance and determination as a community forges towards Shalom and their God-given destiny.

Reading Warner and Wilder inspires hope in me. It reinforces the belief that there is a way out of despair into Shalom for leaders in economically-challenged communities. It is through biblical relationships, staying true to our identity in Christ, joy and endurance. It takes away the pressure of the results-driven approach to the more Biblical one of being a RARE leader.

[1] Marcus Warner and Jim Wilder, RARE Leadership: 4 Uncommon Habits for Increasing Trust, Joy and Engagement in the People You Lead. (Chicago: Moody Publishers, 2016), 142.

[2] Kahneman, Daniel. Thinking Fast and Slow. (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2013), 14.

Henry Gwani

Follower of Jesus, husband, father, community development practitioner and student of leadership working among marginalized communities in South Africa

14 responses to “Four recommendations for Shalom”

1. mm Andy Hale says:

Henry, you wrote, “It reinforces the belief that there is a way out of despair into Shalom for leaders in economically-challenged communities.” Do you think most Christians understand the depths of Shalom?

• mm Henry Gwani says:

Thanks Andy. I don’t think most leaders fully understand the concept of Shalom. My assumption is that a key reason for this is because it has not been promoted enough for the Christian community as a whole to really understand/embrace it. Another reason for this poor understanding could be the sacred-secular divide which leads the laity to believe their careers are not that important to God.

Henry, I enjoyed reading your optimistic post. I also took away optimism for the future. I pray there is a renewed focus on relationships and emotional health in leader and their leadership. As the authors described the kinds of emtions that limit a return to joy, did you see the application to your context in the same way that they apply it to the Western context? Are there certain negative emotions you encounter in greater numbers than others? How do you seek to help people find “shalom?”

• mm Henry Gwani says:

Much thanks Roy. I skimmed through the book and didn’t carefully study the portion on “emotions that limit a return to joy.” But I would assume there are similarities between the manifestation of those emotions in the west and in my context. Given your ongoing short-term missions experience in Africa, how would you respond to that question?
      The most prevalent negative emotions I encounter in my context would be helplessness/hopelessness. There’s also a growing incidence of anger, leading to rioting and vandalism. But by far, the most significant is hopelessness. I see this as a great opportunity to present a holistic gospel that addresses both spiritual and material need, and thereby move towards shalom.

3. mm Jonathan Lee says:

ty for your thoughts Henry,
    I loved your insights on regaining our shalom. You mentioned, “It reinforces the belief that there is a way out of despair into Shalom for leaders in economically-challenged communities.” Can you point me to some books you read in the past that have influenced you to find “a way out fo despair into Shalom for leaders in economically challenged communities”?

• mm Henry Gwani says:

Much thanks Jonathan.
      Most of the resources that have helped me in better understanding Shalom have been by authors in the Christian community development space. So people like Bryant Myers, author of “Walking with the Poor.” Other great authors include Ravi Jayakaran, and John McKnight.

4. Excellent reflection Henry! Can you say more about how you see the RARE leadership model shifting, specifically church communities, from hierarchy to egalitarianism? Love that idea.

• mm Henry Gwani says:

Much thanks Michael. I see the RARE leadership model shifting church communities from hierarchy to egalitarianism through its emphasis on building relationships. Hierarchical cultures are build on a lot of respect (and sometimes fear) but little relationship. So if we pursue authentic relationships, we’ll be inclined to foster mutual love and respect, thereby diffusing the tension in many hierarchical situations and strengthening relationships. I see this as a movement from hierarchy to a more egalitarian culture

Henry: I also found Warner and Wilder to be full of hope. It is an optimistic book with an abundance of common sense. I like these kind of books, they bring us back to the fact that leadership is all about people, not fancy technology or principles even…just people helping people. Nice post.

6. Kayli Hillebrand says:

Henry: I wonder considering your NPO, if this becomes a wonderful resource to accompany the one you are developing? Can you envision how you might be able to use this in your ministry context?

• mm Henry Gwani says:

Kayli, you’re absolutely right. This would be a great resource within my context. I can envision RARE Leadership becoming required reading for participants at future workshops I would run, and I can also see sessions on discussing how it may be applied in different local churches/organizations.

7. mm Denise Johnson says:

Henry.
    This was a great summary of the book. I remember talking to you about your work and the mentoring you do. I’m wondering what aspects of Warner, and Wilder do you find most helpful or easiest to implement in your current situation?

8. mm Henry Gwani says:

Thanks Denise. I also have fond memories of our conversations. Frankly, I think all four aspects: relationship building, reclaiming our identity in Christ, joy, and endurance, are critically needed in my context. I think informal conversations that lead to sermons and seminars/conferences might be a great way to begin implementing some of these values