Forgotten Histories

The books we read, the movies or documentaries we have watched and interactions with people we have grown up with have shaped who we are. This is especially true when talking about an area of the world like Africa. The name alone conjures up many images from history of beautiful jungles, desolate deserts, primitive tribes or great kingdoms that have fallen. Some of these examples from history have not always been viewed in a positive light. Africa has been a mysterious place and taking a trip and studying some of its history has intrigued me for years. From the first time I remember hearing the exodus story or as we talked about the great Egyptian empires, north Africa held the focus for the little boy in me. It is no wonder that scholars of notoriety have come out of these northern areas.

I have to admit that as much education, in school and in the world, as I have had I still found myself both frustrated and slightly challenged by Oden’s book; frustrated at the repetition and challenged at my preconceived notions of this part of the world. For several chapters, I felt the author was being redundant restating several points over and over for what I assumed was emphasis. This is specifically true as it concerns some of the early fathers and theologians; for example Origin, Tertullian and Augustine. I found that as I read, I kept thinking that this was stated in a previous page, a previous paragraph, the previous chapter. Even though some thoughts were taken from a different perspective, the main point was the same. That point being the theologians and founding fathers of Christianity were from northern Africa thus validating Africa as a foundational part of Christianity.

In chapters 3 and 4, I began to be challenged to understand how I looked at and define the history of Christianity. “The liberal bias wrongly assumed that Africa was inexperienced in understanding cultural conflict resolution and only needed larger doses of European enlightment to solve its maladies” (1) This quote made me pause and realize that I had subconsciously separated of the continent of Africa into an upper and lower section.  The North having a Christian tradition including some of the important first and second century theologians and the south, or sub-Saharan, not.

The idea of “excommunicating the north” or “detaching it from the real Africa”(2) was a thought that western history has indeed pushed and promoted. I will admit that I seem to be a product of my western education. It is easy for me to think of Africa like Asia, separated into different regions, climates, countries, traditions and influences that does allow us to see what areas have influenced what traditions. When I look at Buddhism and it’s spread across the East, from India, Thailand, China to Japan, I know they are all part of Asia but have had different parts to play in the development and spread of this widely influential religion. Recognizing the parts of a continent as big as Africa and what each area had contributed toward or fought against in the spread of Christianity, doesn’t reduce its place within the continent rather allows us to see where our history began.

Christian tradition says that Thomas left Israel and ventured to India. Tradition also states that followers of Thomas set forth to other neighboring countries. Like many countries in Asia, Africa as forgotten or had political change that forced histories to change, either by coercion or death of those that remember. Oden talks about the young Africa that has experienced brutal years of death from early in the church on to today. There was over 600 years of Christian influence before the Islam claimed the northern areas of Africa. (3) I work in China and the State claims Christianity as a western religion. This is taught in schools, and home and encouraged by government leaders. There are many that have forgotten the over 1400 years of Christian influence that has also been forced out of the history books. It does make one wonder how many other African Christian writers, theologians or just stories of God moving in this Continent we no longer have access to.

I enjoyed aspects of this book and the author’s passion for recognizing the place of Africa within the history of Christianity. I do think it is important to study the influences and the journeys of those that help us exegete the scriptures. Oden is obviously passionate about encouraging a rethinking of the value to African scholars and hoping to motivate new theologians to study and write on the unique mindset of ancient African followers of God. Even with some redundancies, this book challenged me to rethink some common misconceptions on Africa.

1. Oden, Thomas C. How Africa Shaped the Christian Mind: Rediscovering the African Seedbed of Western Christianity. (Downers Grove, Il: InterVaristy Press, 2007). 58
  2. IBID, 83
  3. IBID, 124-125

Greg

Greg has a wife and 3 children. He has lived and work in Asia for over 12 years. He is currently the Asia Director of Imanna Laboratories, which tests and inspects marine products seeking US Coast Guard certification. His company Is also involved in teaching and leadership development.

10 responses to “Forgotten Histories”

Hi Greg! Your statement “I work in China and the State claims Christianity as a western religion. This is taught in schools, and home and encouraged by government leaders. There are many that have forgotten the over 1400 years of Christian influence that has also been forced out of the history books” reiterates the pervasiveness of westerners controlling the narrative of Christian history. Imagine the world’s surprise when they learn the faith tradition and history they’ve been taught is actually the WRONG story. It seems to highlight our western arrogance. In my heart I want to believe it was an error or oversight, but sadly I see it as another example of writing history which benefits “us”.

I share your sentiment that Oden was repetitive. I was often frustrated as I read, desiring him to take his thesis further and deeper but instead he seemed to continue making the same points.

I too, have lived and worked overseas for extended periods of time and have heard comments like; “Christianity is a ‘white person’s’ religion”. I believe that this misunderstanding has been inadvertently encouraged by the neglect of the diversity of its influences. The Christian faith we now have, though seemingly completely Western, has been molded and shaped by a multitude of diverse people and cultures. It is unwise of us to neglect this.

You will intrigue us all Greg,, especially coming from the perspective of currently living in China. I am so glad you will bring international flavor to our Cohort. Thanks for joining and also for writing. I personally find your thoughts of redundancy acceptable, at the same time I found the redundancy somewhat helpful because I didn’t get the full scope of Oden’s comments until I read them more than once.

4. I’m glad you’re with us in this cohort too, Greg, for the global perspective you’ll bring.

You raise the point of how we divide Africa into Arabic and sub-Saharan, and the discussion around whether northern Africa was truly African or merely Mediterranean. I was reminded of the image of Pangea, the supposed supercontinent with Africa at the centre and all others fitting in around it, prior to continental drift.

Maybe reducing Christian identity to African, or European, does a disservice to our faith. It has global roots, and is expressed globally today, in an amazing diversity of linguistic and cultural expressions. In Christ, we are truly One Tribe.

Shout-out to the Black Eyed Peas:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5E_yFyGDjM

Thanks for your post on Oden and especially how you compared not only the lost African legacy, but how you see that same pattern in China. I suspect there are many locations where the oral traditions and early writings from the organic church did not move forward historically. Praise God that the Holy Spirit was not frustrated or worried about how Christianity would advance from Africa despite the anxious narrations of Oden. Your comments about your frustration with Oden’s work are supported by one reviewer who called the book “naïve and hyperbolic” that was more “embarrassing than enlightening.” 1
    After reviewing Oden’s biography, he passed away just last year at 85, I think his repetition and unrelenting poking at the Western world over the African legacy of Christianity was more a literary technique than poor writing skills. While we may not agree with his methods, nevertheless he was successful at drawing attention to his problem. At the end of the day, a very common South African saying, Oden’s work created new thought and may yet inspire action for new Africans to rediscover and carry forward their ancient Christian heritage.
    Good post!
    M Webb
    1. “How Africa Shaped the Christian Mind: Rediscovering the African Seedbed of Western Christianity.” Publishers Weekly 254, no. 41 (October 15, 2007): 57. Academic Search Premier, EBSCOhost (accessed September 6, 2017).

6. Your statement…”I realized that I had subconsciously separated of the continent of Africa into an upper and lower section. The North having a Christian tradition including some of the important first and second century theologians and the south, or sub-Saharan, not.” was so true for me as well and further confirms how much I don’t know about the huge continent of Africa. Look forward to reading more of your world perspective, great post!

• Shawn Hart says:

I believe I had done the same thing, however, I am not sure that it is not without merit. I pulled up a map of the borders of the Roman empire that was present for a few hundred years, and in those borders was the upper portion of Africa. The realization that there would have been influences to Northern Africa simply because of its connection to Rome rather than its connection to Africa really should not be ignored. I kept asking myself if it was fair to call something “Africa” that really may not have even been considered Africa at that period of time?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book, Greg. I share your frustration regarding the sense of redundancy. Still, you accepted the challenge that Oden posed and I can relate to that as well. See you soon!

Greg, I appreciate your Asian perspective regarding this topic. I wonder how much we can truly sympathize or understand something like this until we are actually able to see it on a more personal level. I found myself frustrated by what I do not know in this regard, but also found myself frustrated by what I believe that I do know. In order for any of us to reach this point, we have done far too many scholarly reports on the history of the church and its growth to simply allow one man’s eager desire to unite his nation behind the historical flag of Christianity, to completely change all that we have previously learned. With that said however, I frequently encourage my own congregation to be willing to open their hearts up to scripture when it is necessary to realize that there may be things in their life that was taught incorrectly. How else can we truly continue to learn if we are not open to it. Sadly however, I just did not feel as though Oden’s supporting suggestions were founded by enough strong evidence; though profound and though provoking, not entirely convincing.

I look forward to hearing about Asia sometime, I am very curious about the Christian movement there.

Great insight on comparing the spread of Buddhism in Asia, having been to Thailand and S. Korea I realize they are both part of the Asian continent but they have vastly different influences on the whole of the religion. The comparison to Africa as the separate regions of influence helped. I really appreciated the insight.