Fool’s Gold

As a child I always loved a good adventure. I would often reenact “Little House on the Prairie” (1)scenes outside discovering new unfound places and things. One of these adventures was to find gold or other gems that would make us rich so all our problems would disappear. Armed with a sifter and a shovel I set off to the back yard convinced that I would strike it rich. My eyes were healed for any little shiny thing. Then right there in the midst of the dirt was a rock with flecks of sparkles and gold! I had done it! Life was fixing to change… or what it simply fool’s gold?

Finding Yourself in the Pursuit of a Dream

Life gets more complicated when you grow up, or at least you become more aware of the complexities. You being to hear all the voices of everyone who ever told you who you were or what you should be and in the midst of that you battle within trying to grapple with who you are. In his book Mining for Gold, Tom Camacho writes, “When we discover our design and how we naturally reflect Jesus, something inside us comes alive.” (2) We are all created unique with gifts and dreams that we are called to use and reach for. When we are able to name our dream and align our gifts is when we find ourselves and fulfillment. We are no longer battling against the wind of which we were not designed to fly in or wondering in the midst of passionless work. Something can look like what we are searching for or meant to do, but if it is not in align meant with who we are designed to be than it is simply fools gold.

Don’t Dig Alone

With all the nose that surrounds us from our past, our experiences, and our own thoughts digging alone through our life to find our design can leave us trapped in a deep hole. We are created as relational beings by a relational God and so it is by design that we walk this journey of discovery with others. Camacho writes of the importance of coaching in the process of leadership development and self discovery. It can be the catalyst that leads to thriving. “Coaching leadership helps us find clarity. Clarity leads to momentum and true experience of thriving.” (3) When we allow a trusted voice to walk alongside us they can help us to see the fools gold that can distract us from the true gold, the gifts, within us. I have found my biggest breakthroughs have been alongside a trusted voice. A voice that could remind me of who I am and help me see beyond the fool’s gold and to the truth of my calling.

Thriving on the Prairie

One thing that I learned from my childhood love of “Little House on the Prairie” Is that thriving came when people formed community when they weren’t alone on the prairie in survival mode but when they were with others pulling from each others gifts and strengths to make live better for all. In the book “The Molecule of More” the authors point out that relationships are key to our brain function. “Our brain needs affiliative relationships just to stay alive.” They note a Harvard study that found social isolation is associated with 50% to 90% higher risk of early death which was about the same as smoking. (4)

So if relationships are so key to our survival than investing in relationships that can help us clarify our identity, our gifts, our gold, are a key to our thriving. Camacho believes that coaching is this key relationship for leaders who are being coached and leaders who are coaching. “Coaching Leadership is a life of loving relationship.”(5)

Who will you take with you on this mining journey through life?

1. Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House on the Prairie Series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_House_on_the_Prairie
  2. Tom Camacho, Mining for Gold: Developing Kingdom Leaders through Coaching, First published (Nottingham: IVP, 2019). (p 122)
  3. Camacho. (p 48)
  4. Lieberman, Daniel Z. and Michael E. Long. “The Molecule of More: How a Single Chemical in Your Brain Drives Love, Sex, and Creativity-and Will Determine the Fate of the Human Race.” Dallas, TX: BenBella Books, Inc., 2019. (p 200)
  5. Camacho. (p159)

Sara Taylor Lattimore

Sara is adopted, a wife of 17 years, a mother to 2 amazing children who give her opportunities to be a cheerleader, dress up like a princess, play soccer in the mud, and go on amazing adventures. With a Bachelors in political science and sociology, Sara worked for Child Protective Services as a legal caseworker before following a call into full-time ministry in 2008. During her time in full-time ministry Sara has served in medium to large size local congregations, as well as camp ministry. Sara has a passion for serving others, writing, and speaking. In 2016 Sara worked on a joint publication as a Curriculum Writer. Sara wrote the Intergenerational/Family & Day Camp Resources in “Beyond Belief” for InsideOut Christian Resources for Outdoor Ministry- Published by Chalice Press- Release Date 2018. Sara is looking forward to writing her own book next. Sara completed her MDiv from Iliff School of Theology in 2019 and is currently working on her Doctorate in Leadership and Global Perspectives from Portland Seminary. Sara currently serves as Lead Pastor of a local church in Southwestern Montana. She has previously served in ministry positions leading congregations in engaging globally in healthy mission and outreach partnerships, living life missionally, building innovative programs, and building relationships as the Director of Missions and Outreach, College Ministry Coordinator, Family and Children’s Ministry Director, Director of Christian Education, and Camp Program Director. She is an innovator and visionary who looks to find empowering and dignity restoring ways of building communities of belonging, while listening and partnering with others to find ways to also address the needs of the communities she is planted in. Beyond her work, Sara dreams of growing her family through adoption, kayaking with Orcas, going on pilgrimage on the Camino De Santiago in Spain, traveling in an RV across North America, and traveling internationally.

11 responses to “Fool’s Gold”

1. Sara,

Well done, your presentation of information is done well (good job). You are spot on with the importance of community and that community helps build identity. We are better together.

• Thanks Greg. I have been using the metaphor of a breaded rope recently. Ive been trying to remind the community that we are better together. That we all bring strengths and talent and when we are woven together towards a common goal we will be strong enough.

Sara,

Your emphasis on relationships in mining for gold is spot on. Even on the reservation where I work, relationships are the key to everything I do. They are vital! Well done!

• Thanks Tonette. I have found in new places especially the effort you put into building relationship will pay off over time. It is more valuable than any new project you could start. Just show up and listen to people and show them you care about them and want to get to know them. Although it can be easier said than done.

Great post, Sara! Well done and impactful. We are all drawn to fool’s gold sometimes. I really like the digging alone segment. I do this too much. I just dig down, do it myself. Over and over and over. I don’t know why. Your post really served as a reminder to me to stop. I can do more with others and God didn’t design me to burn me out or limit me with my own two hands. Thank you for mining for Gold in me today.

SARA!!!! Amazing job! When I think of adventure I definitely think of you!

“They note a Harvard study that found social isolation is associated with 50% to 90% higher risk of early death which was about the same as smoking. (4)”

What do you think that we can do if anything to help individuals that do isolate themselves…. have you found or seen a way to reach them/interact with them in their own space?

Sara,
    I like the spin you have poot on Mining for Gold…Fools Gold! Excellent play on words.

Great job pulling in this other source;
    “The Molecule of More” the authors point out that relationships are key to our brain function. “Our brain needs affiliative relationships just to stay alive.”

What affiliate relationships have helped you thrive and steer you away from Fools Gold but help you reach for the true GOld that God has intended for you?
    I like Alana’s question too! Excellent! We would love to hear your thoughts!

Sara,
    I am enjoying rereading your post.
    I am doing background work for syntopical essay.

7. Kristy, thanks for your thoughts I have found surrounding myself with others who dream big and can encourage me to keep pushing even when things get hard, is what helps me remember the Gold that God has planted in me.