Follow Jesus

While reading Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A history from the 1730’s to 1980’s by D.W. Bebbington I was reminded of my teachings on revival in Bible College. I was extremely excited to even be allowed in the classroom and learning about the Holy Spirit and the bride of Christ. To read about John Wesley, Charles Wesley, and George Whitfield. I was chosen to write a report on George Whitfield and the Methodist movement.

How I loved reading about great revivalists, their passion for Jesus and for others to experience Jesus Christ.[1] That during the Welsh revival, God moved so greatly in his people, that horses and dogs had to be retrained. Or on the crossing of the Atlantic that John Wesley was deeply impacted from the Moravians. Later on Wesley would spend time with the Moravians and be involved with the Great Awakening in England. John Wesley’s focus was upon the doctrine of salvation and relationship between grace, faith, and holiness of heart and life.

Or to read from God’s Generals about the Welsh Revival with Evan Roberts. To see that great toll the ministry had on Roberts. Or to learn about the Pentecostal Movement through William Seymour at Azusa Street. We see the power of the Holy Spirit moving through great people, communities, and nations. To see the great methods of prayer and fasting George Whitfield, John Wesley, and Charles Wesley forming the Holy Club at Oxford.

Whitfield helped champion the Evangelical movement in England with his time in Oxford to the New England states of America. Whitfield had a thunderous voice that at one time cracked the sounding board behind him preaching the Word. He was one of the most powerful and effective preachers that ever lived. Whitfield was born in 1714 and died in 1770. Whitfield came from a poor family, however God provided a rich education for Whitfield at Oxford where he had important relationships.

Britain to America

In 1740 Whitfield traveled to North America where he preached in an open air. Benjamin Franklin often came to Whitfield’s speaking engagements. One particular time, Benjamin Franklin left his purse at home, Whitfield shared about the needs of the orphans and Franklin ended up borrowing money from people who were listening to the sermon to put in the offering. Even though Whitfield methods were controversial as he often debated with other clergymen. Whitfield had great effect and impact on his listeners.

Whitfield kept in relationship with his colleagues in England and made a total of seven transatlantic voyages during his time as a missionary in the New England states. Whitfield in one year traveled over 5,000 miles and preached more than 350 times. Over his lifetime, it is believed that Whitfield preached over 18,000 times to over 10 million hearers.[2] Most of all, Whitfield preached that Jesus could and would save the most wretched sinners of all. Back in England, John Wesley rode over 250,000 miles sharing the gospel on justification and sanctification.

Evangelical Movement

Through the Great Awakening, and the Second Great Awakening the Evangelical movement continued to grow as many believed the Church of England to be corrupt. This helped fuel the spread of the Gospel but also this new Evangelical movement. As the Evangelical movement spread through England with John Wesley, in America George Whitfield continued to champion the movement in America.[3]

America was a place of freedom in many areas such as politics, freedom to worship, and some a new start and chance for having a better life. I believe this helped immensely in the Evangelical movement. But we see it was people asking questions or modern religious traditions of the time. We see with Martin Luther; he simply had some questions he wanted to discuss with the Catholic Church. During the Great Awakening, many felt the Church of England had begun corrupt.

Dr. Clark Theses

In Chapter two of Dr. Clarks thesis, he examines the Evangelical movement through exploration.[4] If we can be a self-deafferented leader, we can explore these things without becoming partial or overly emotional about what we learn or disagree with. We can see how the Evangelical movement is seen by many as a political power driven by economic gain. If we can truly remain a self-deafferented leader, we can become aware and not repeat history, or go along with popular opinion or movement, just because its popular.[5] Sometimes we just need to see things from a different perspective.

Too often we get caught up in emotions, current trends, and people’s reason and logic seems to turn off. Often, people run faster to error rather than to truth. We see that Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6). Unfortunately, we can get carried up in movements that started out right, but that same movement needs a fresh move of the Holy Spirit. Follow Jesus and you will be okay!

[1] God’s Generals: Why They Succeeded and Why Some Failed, 1996-Whitaker House-U.S.A.

[2] Dallimore, Arnold A. “George Whitefield: God’s Anointed Servant In the Great Revival of the Eighteenth Century. Westchesr, Ill.: Crossway Books, 2010.

[3] Bebbington, David. 2005. Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A History from the 1730’s to the 1980’s. Transferred to digital printing. London: Routledge.

[4] Clark, Evangelicalism and Capitalism.

[5] Friedman, Edwin H.A. Failure of Nerve, 2017.

Greg McMullen

Pastor Greg resides in Lake Stevens WA and pastors a small rural church in the Machias area . The Well Church has a large food ministry in which many different cultures come each week to gather food and counsel. The Church has a small school that is bearing good fruit. Pastor Greg has a large family of 10 children and enjoys fishing and hiking.

3 responses to “Follow Jesus”

Thanks, Greg! I enjoyed your post and it made me want to read more on famous revivalist. I think it would be good motivation and timing for me with a new ministry launch. I feel a little out of place and do not have enough help. I was really drawn to one of your final thoughts though… “Often, people run faster to error rather than to truth.” This is so true! Why are controversial issues so much more appealing to the general public? I admit I’m drawn to them too, even biblically. However, my interest biblically is more so to identify truth and combat the many misconceptions. Either way, I think the news and many people have made a living on spreading error or saying things just to get a rise out of people because it sells. It’s a tad scary that Christianity is often a target but I am encouraged by the leaders in this cohort to continue to push the kingdom forward with faith and courage and sound biblical truth.

Thanks!

2. Michael,
    Thank you for your comment and encouragement. Too often we forget that it is our job to have Sound Doctrine and obedient to Him.

I remember one Sunday night service years ago. A teen brought her mom to church who was an exotic dancer. Before service the Lord told me He wanted me to preach on Hosea. I told the Lord that I did not think this was a good idea. I stepped on stage and was obedient and preached the message.

The girls mother started to cry, then a howl, and now weeping. All the women gathered around her and comforted her and some were starting to glare at me. I kept preaching and being obedient.

She finally stood up and said enough (I thought she was going to leave the church) she repented, accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. She got off the drugs, stoped dancing, and started faithfully coming to church twice a week and served food to the homeless. Within three years she was married and purchasing a home.

God knows what He is doing. God loves you Michael, He has called you, chosen you, anointed you. What an incredible gift you are Michael. Keep making a difference!

Great post Greg!!!!

I agree!!! As long as we are prayerful, and listen we can stay away from movements that start out right but, over time, lead to error…..