Father, Forgive Us

Bayard’s How to Talk About a Book You Haven’t Read and Adler’s How to Read a Book became irrelevant when approaching the potent twenty-four-page work of Richard Paul and Linda Elder, Critical Thinking Concepts & Tools. The words were few but packed with truly societal changing possibilities that took this reader on a journey of repentance.

Paul and Elder describe what thinking left to its own devices will become and the quality of life that is the result. Their description of egocentric and sociocentric thinking, and their vision for a critical society resonated deeply as I reflected on the current state of America. My response was, “Father forgive us, we do not realize what we are doing and what we are becoming as a result.” From what I observe in the news and on social media, my home nation is in desperate need of transformation in thinking and speech and so am I.

When reading the ideas of how critical thinking, or lack thereof, shapes conversations and behaviors in a society, I recalled the work of Judith Glaser.[1] In Conversational Intelligence, Glaser argues, “As we apply Conversational Intelligence to our interactions, we can change our personal trajectory; on a much grander scale, conversations can change the history of nations and peoples.”[2] She describes the potential as follows:

Conversations are dynamic, interactive and inclusive. They evolve and impact the way we connect, engage, interact, and influence others, enabling us to shape reality, mind-sets, events, and outcomes in a collaborative way. Conversations have the power to move us    from “power over” others to “power with” others, giving us the exquisite ability to get on the same page with our fellow humans and experience the same reality by bridging the reality gaps between “how you see things and how I see things.”[3]

This type of conversational intelligence is predicated upon critical thinking and the essential traits Paul and Elder reference.[4]

While journeying through the ideas in Critical Thinking Concepts and Tools and Conversational Intelligence I began reflecting on the scriptural passages that link our thinking, our heart, and our words such as Matthew 15:18 (NET), “But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these things defile a person.” James 1:26 (NET) makes this holistic connection, “If someone thinks he is religious yet does not bridle his tongue, and so deceives his heart, his religion is futile” (italics added). It seems the old adage, “Which came first the chicken or the egg?” is somewhat applicable here. Where does it start? In the mind, in the heart, from the mouth? What became clear is the undeniable effect one has on the other in the individual and ultimately on society as a whole.

I am challenged, as a leader, to use the influence I have been given to draw people into a deeper (critical) way of thinking. To interrogate the reality of my own heart rather than judging others, so that I remove the plank from my eye before pointing out the speck in another.[5] To use intelligence in conversations that reflects the maturity of a follower of Christ. What could our world be like if we valued being “reasonable and fair minded?” What if we taught and cultivated more thoughtful living considering all sides before taking one, and open-mindedness became a posture toward relationship not just a thought-oriented skill? What if integrity, humility, empathy, confidence and courage described our social values, not just in intelligence, but in every area? What would our world be like in twenty years if every child was taught this way of living? How would we relate if every culture and people group were valued and treated as those made in the image of God? What if we truly spoke the truth in love and confronted group think or sociocentric thinking?[6]

Even as I read the questions I have posed my own cynicism tries to take over and say it is idealistic. Then I read the quote again by Sumner penned in 1906, “Education in the critical faculty is the only education of which it can be truly said that it makes good citizens.”[7] So, Father forgive us your Church for not taking our responsibility to make good learners and followers of Jesus as he instructed us to do. Education that is lifestyle in heart, thought and words seems to be what you defined as discipleship.

[1] Richard Paul and Linda Elder, Critical Thinking Concepts & Tools, 23.

[2] Judith E. Glaser, Conversational Intelligence: How Great Leaders Build Trust and Get Extraordinary Results (Abingdon, UK: Bibliomotion, 2014), 203.

[3] Glaser, xiii.

[4] Paul and Elder, 14-15.

[5] Matthew 7:4 (NET)

[6] Paul and Elder, 23.

Tammy Dunahoo

Tammy is a lover of God, her husband, children and grandchildren. She is the V.P. of U.S. Operations/General Supervisor of The Foursquare Church.

8 responses to “Father, Forgive Us”

1. Karen Rouggly says:

Tammy, thank you for your words. I appreciate the injection of faith in this text, which I really struggled with. I am torn between trying to help people think critically, but also understanding the mystery of faith, which cannot be unpacked or explained fully.

I totally agree that we need to develop people who can critically engage in society, but I am also wanting to be reminded of the mystery of Christ. In your opinion, how do we do that – how can we hold those in tension?

• Tammy Dunahoo says:

Great question, Karen.What came to my mind immediately is to grow in thinking critically about what we do know while fully embracing what we do not, the beautiful mystery of God. I know that sounds simplistic, but I find I can hold that in tension. It’s not either/or but both/and.

2. Thank you Tammy for highlighting the impact of our default way of egocentric and sociocentric orientation in our view of things and circumstances. Its the selfish way than man has grown with and each one of is guilty, we all should repent, turn away from our wicked ways and embrace every person as created in the image of God. The 24 page book did exactly the same, showing me how prejudiced I have been in many aspects of my interaction with people and in the decisions I have made. I have learnt and I am changing my ways.

Tammy I agree with your prayer that we need forgiveness as the church for not making good learners and followers of Jesus Christ. The fact that we profess to be a Christian nation, but we do not understand how to operate in the love of Jesus Christ is problematic. I do think that we have to examine ourselves. Are our beliefs truly based on the Word of God or on egocentric and sociocentric thinking is a question we need to ask. Thank you for your prayer, I stand in agreement with that prayer.

Tammy,
    As always thank you for wise words and insights. I echo your prayer as I would add for myself, “Father forgive me of being lazy and unwilling to do the harder work of developing and applying critical thinking skills.” Perhaps for too long in the Church, we who come from perhaps a more experiential faith connection, have looked down upon the intellectual skills and virtues of clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic or rationality, and fairness. Blessings on you as you continue to grow in your critical thinking skills and influence your leaders to lead their flocks. Blessings, H

5. Andrea Lathrop says:

Thank you for this, Tammy. That quote from Glaser is powerful – what a beautiful vision to move from ‘power over’ to ‘power with’ others. I want that in my own life. What a goal to strive for individually and societally. I’m with you that refusing to get cynical is a battle, especially with the rhetoric these days, but is worth our energy.

6. Nancy VanderRoest says:

Thanks for your reflections in your post, Tammy. I love Judith Glaser’s books, and I appreciated the quote you chose from her writings about “applying Conversational Intelligence to our interactions.” To think that conversations can change the history of nations is so compelling, but I believe it to be true! Your quotes from Matthew and James were a perfect fit as well. And I love your challenge to use influence to draw people into a deeper way of thinking. You are such an amazing person, Tammy, and your influence on others is so well received. Go out there and make a difference, my friend. You already have made a difference in my life! Thanks for being who you are!

7. Sean Dean says:

Tammy, you and I both come out of traditions that leaned away from critical thought. I think that coming out of those types of traditions can bias us one way or another. In my case it, for a long time, pushed me away from any sort of Spirit-led theology and into an intellectual faith that demanded critical thought. But that is also an over correction, since faith sometimes requires an uncritical belief. I am thankful for your (and Jason’s) witness that spirit-led faith and critical thinking can coexist — and probably should.