Faith vs. Fortune the tension between religion and shopping sprees

Journeying through the intersection of faith and capitalism can sometimes feel like wandering through a marketplace, where each vendor seems to promote their own version of salvation. In Evangelicalism and Capitalism; A Reparative Account and Diagnosis,[1] Jason Clark provides a thought provoking analysis of this junction examining the occasionally conflicting relationship between these two realms.

Clark’s analogy of the “resonance machine” is both clever and insightful. It vividly illustrates the interaction between these two forces. His proposition that the interplay between evangelical faith and capitalist ideology is a reciprocal amplification and reinforcement of each other[2] can be seen on broadcast TV, in popular literature and taught in places of higher education. The question it leaves you with is what is the true intention of this interplay?

Vincent Miller’s book, Consuming Religion, offers an alternate perspective on this topic. Miller doesn’t shy away from exposing how the sacred becomes a consumable, where symbols are reduced to treats that can be consumed at will[3]. This viewpoint is both unsettling and undeniable, revealing how our market driven society has a tendency to assimilate the divine[4].

The conversation between these texts is not much of a debate as it is an in-depth exploration of the intricacies of religious customs. Clark’s footnotes guide us through his argument prompting us to ponder whether our faith traditions can stay true, to their essence amidst the hustle and bustle of the marketplace.

At first, I read both texts with an eye to spot the criticism of how faith and capitalism have become these strange bedfellows. But after a second and third reading, it became clearer to me that Clark and Miller are not playing the role of critics; they’re like explorers of culture charting the landscape where faith and finance intersect — and sometimes clash. The takeaway is we as individuals should take a look at how our own actions might either reinforce or challenge the influences of the market.

Clark cites Pete Ward’s work, Liquid Church, which offers a further perspective presenting the notion community can adapt to the trends of consumerism almost like a clump of play dough can be shaped how we like it in the moment and reshaped as pop culture changes. While this might serve everything from church attendance to the ability to promote mission it can also potentially sacrifice depth and lasting significance of faith in the process.[5] This idea invites us to ponder these questions:

• Can the essence of evangelical faith survive in a consumerist culture?
  • What does it mean for our spiritual lives to be merchandised alongside the latest gadgets and trends?

When considering these questions we arrive at a point; the commercialization of spirituality, in a world where consumer values increasingly shape our lives. Clarks explanation of the “Liquid Church” based on Pete Ward’s ideas suggests that it might adapt well to the evolving patterns of society. What are the consequences?

While adaptability is practical it raises concerns about experiences resembling fast fashion trends that fill our wardrobes briefly before being replaced by the next big thing. This creates a contrast with faith practices that traditionally prioritize the eternal over the temporary. Thus we must ask ourselves; How can we uphold integrity that remains unaffected by market trends and cannot be bought?

Miller’s observations prompt us to confront the truth about our participation in a system that often reduces sacredness to transactions. It goes beyond decision making; it challenges aspects of existence and communal unity.[6]

In this system we are urged to contemplate the resistance against the commercialization of our beliefs. The question prompts us to consider ways in which we can establish faith communities that remain unaffected by consumerism.

We can only be encouraged in this system to reflect on the notion of resisting the commercialization of our beliefs. The writings of Clark and Miller point us in a direction to examine how our faith is expressed and experienced. The prompt is to contemplate ways in which we can foster communities of faith that can withstand the influence of consumerism[7].

The combination of faith and capitalist culture shouldn’t be seen as a problem that needs to be solved. Rather, as a balance that we need to manage. It’s about finding a way to honor our roots while still engaging with the realities of the world around us. Instead of rejecting capitalism perhaps the solution lies in approaching it thoughtfully and selectively.

[1] Jason Clark, Evangelicalism and Capitalism: A Reparative Account and Diagnosis, (George Fox University, year of publication), 198-236.

[2] Clark, Evangelicalism and Capitalism, 200-201.

[3] Vincent Miller, Consuming Religion, The Continuum International Publishing Group, 2003, 39

[4] Clark, Evangelicalism and Capitalism, 214-215.

[5] Pete Ward, as cited in Clark, Evangelicalism and Capitalism, 236.

[6] Miller, Consuming Religion, 57.

[7] Clark, Evangelicalism and Capitalism, 235-236.

How I used AI in this post

• My rhythm for these posts is to do a first pass on Monday, a second pass on Tuesday and then read and write on Thursdays. On Wednesday of this week I discovered I had bought, AND READ, the wrong Consuming Religion. I bought a book of the same title by Kathryn Lofton. I was very impressed Jason had us read a book that included essays exploring the likes of Britney Spears and the Kardashians. In retrospect that should have been my first clue. After Google proved fruitless, I turned to AI to ask where I could find a copy of Miller’s Consuming Religion in Toronto. It said I could use my Toronto Library Membership to checkout a virtual copy from the Internet Archive. I could and I was able to read it Wednesday and Thursday
  • I was very interested in the idea of “Fluid Church” after these readings. I asked AI to compare the ideas of Pete Ward to a paper I had written in during my masters about polarities. I did this because I wanted to write about the intersection of faith and capitalism as not a problem to be solved but a problem to be managed. It helped me see where I had written that had some similarities to Ward’s concept.
  • And finally, headlines are so important so I asked AI to give me some ideas with different themes. I really liked these ones:
    • You Won’t Believe How Evangelical Faith Is Clashing with Capitalism!
    • When Jesus Met Wall Street: A Divine Comedy of Economics
    • Can Spirituality Survive in the Age of Consumerism? Let’s Discuss!
  • I used those examples to inspire my title

Mathieu Yuill

While raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens may be a few of Julia Andrews' favourite things, here are a few of mine: Talking to strangers, Learning about what you do for fun, Conversation over coffee. I own a marketing and communications company in Toronto, Canada called Leading With Nice. There are a lot of names I could have given the company but a trusted friend encouraged me to name it that because I really value the humanness in us all. Bah - this is starting to sound like a horrible LinkedIn post. So whatever, let's have coffee. I'd love to hear about what you do for fun!

4 responses to “Faith vs. Fortune the tension between religion and shopping sprees”

Mathieiu,
    Well-written and so much to think about….
    Your post has me think of all the deconstructing of faith that is occuring today. I was talking to my daughter about a friend who was “deconstructing her faith” but in circles that encouraged an exit from all she knew Scripturally. We know that deconstructing and reconstructing is definitely needed at different stages of our Spiritual growth. However, what is new are the many options that often accompany the deconstruction. As I read our readings, it seems to me that the consumeristic mindset plays to the dangerous side of the doubt continuum where man himself has all authority to pick and chose what is needed and what is truth. Timothy Keller writes “Christians in our cultural moment will have to rethink their faith, but at the same time they must learn to ‘doubt their doubts.’ They must deconstruct not only their tacit, mistaken beliefs and their secondary beliefs that pose as primary, but also just as importantly, the cultural narratives that are offered as the alternatives to Christian faith. (“https://quarterly.gospelinlife.com/reconstructing-faith/)
    So much to pray about as we look over the spiritual landscape around us and lead in this arena.

• Hey Esther!

Thank you for your thoughtful response. The phenomenon of faith deconstruction you describe, especially in the context of consumeristic influences, is indeed a significant and complex issue in today’s spiritual landscape. The idea that our consumer culture could be swaying individuals towards a more subjective, ‘pick-and-choose’ approach to spirituality is a profound observation.

Timothy Keller’s perspective on rethinking faith while being cautious of both internal doubts and external cultural narratives is an important point. This balance between deconstruction and reconstruction, as you mentioned, is vital for spiritual growth, yet it must be navigated carefully to avoid falling into the trap of consumerism-driven spirituality.

Hi Matthew,

Yikes, I almost got the Lofton book too!

You wrote, “His (Clark) proposition that the interplay between evangelical faith and capitalist ideology is a reciprocal amplification and reinforcement of each other.”

I like the reciprocal amplification concept. It fits.

I was reading on how the Ukraine war was pushing globalization towards its end. It made me shift my focus to Ukrainian churches that I have started to work with. Our brothers there are fervently worshiping and are clinging to the Hope they have in Christ. Not promised tomorrow, I doubt that consuming their faith as a commodity would aptly describe them. They wait hopefully for EU accession unaware of the dangers of that the cousins of capitalism and consumerism are prowling at the door.

• Mister Russel,

It’s intriguing to hear about your shift towards working with Ukrainian churches amid current global events. Your observation offers a poignant contrast to the concept of faith as a commodity. In situations like Ukraine’s, where uncertainty and hardship are prevalent, faith often becomes a beacon of hope and resilience, far removed from consumerist interpretations. It highlights how the essence of faith can transcend the confines of market dynamics, especially in times of crisis. This perspective adds a valuable dimension to the discussion about faith and capitalism, reminding us that in some parts of the world, faith is not just a choice but a necessity for hope and survival. Shalom and best wishes in your endeavours with the Ukrainian churches.