Experiencing Hong Kong

History is not my forte, so I was not thrilled to see the book by Tsang on the list of reading for this term.  I could think of more exciting things to do than read about the “Modern History of Hong Kong,” such as doing my dishes or dusting my house!  But, I realized while skimming through the book that I actually knew nothing about Hong Kong or its history.  So, I truly learned some amazing background on the region we are about to visit.

I honestly had no idea that the British had any relationship to Hong Kong.   As Tsang noted, “London was determined to get what it wanted by war.”[1]  It was through strategic planning on the part of the British forces that allowed Britain to take control.   Tsang also explained that “the real priorities for the British were reflected in the way the war was handled – through the advancement of British economic interests.”[2]   It was Britain who colonized Hong Kong, but also introduced the opium epidemic there.  This, in turn, led to the Opium War

The interesting thing about Hong Kong is understanding what country Hong Kong is truly a part of.  Hong Kong has its own money, passport, immigration and legal systems apart from China.  Yet, it has Chinese flags flying from its governmental buildings and the Chief Executive over the city was appointed by Beijing.  So, in reality Hong Kong is part Chinese and part independent.   It is interesting to note that most people of Hong Kong (known as Hong Kongers) consider themselves Chinese, yet they do not consider themselves a part of China.[3]  How intriguing!

I am excited to explore this amazing Region.  From research on the internet, I uncovered some interesting facts about Hong Kong:

• Hong Kong’s official name is ‘Hong Kong Special Administrative Region’
  • Hong Kong means ‘Fragrant Harbor’
  • HK people eat long noodles on their birthday, so they may be blessed with long life.
  • Feng Shui (wind/water beliefs) is an important consideration in their way of life
  • The saying ‘only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun’ is from HK
  • HK has more Rolls Royce per person than any other city in the world
  • HK has the most skyscrapers of any city in the world
  • HK has a half-mile long escalator that is the world’s longest covered escalator
  • Dim sum is a snack food which means ‘touch the heart’ and is a part of HK culture
  • A foodie paradise, HK has the highest number of restaurants per capita

So, those are some fun facts about Hong Kong – to answer for you everything you wanted to know…but were afraid to ask!  I am looking forward to meeting everyone in Hong Kong and to learn more about the region as we explore together.  It will be an exciting learning experience for all of us.

I am excited about experiencing Hong Kong because I am fascinated by the region and now also by its history.  I plan to utilize my experiences to grow in cultural perspective as well as seeking transformation to make a difference where change is needed; both at home and abroad.  I also look forward to being introduced to greater diversity and expanding my awareness of the world around me.  I also see this as an invitation to face my fears of the unknown and to help me rediscover the true ME!

Proverbs 19:8 says:  “To acquire wisdom is to love oneself; people who cherish understanding will prosper.”  I am looking forward to the gift of wisdom that comes from knowing and loving my neighbor as myself – through learning more about my neighbor by immersing in their culture towards a goal of understanding and honoring others above myself.

[1] Steve Tsang, Modern History of Hong Kong (London: IB Tauris, 2007)

[2] Ibid

[3] Vaughn Grylls, Hong Kong Then and Now (Cantebury:  Prime Press, 2016)

Nancy VanderRoest

Nancy is a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and fulfills God's calling on her life by serving as a Chaplain & Counselor with Hospice. In her spare time, Nancy works with the anti-human trafficking coalition in her local community.

12 responses to “Experiencing Hong Kong”

Nancy, thank you for adding to our intrigue about Hong Kong through your post. As I enter the area I will do so with “my neighbor” in mind. Thank you for that perspective.

Nancy, your comment about Sky Scrapers is new to me, and has me greatly intrigued. Being in New York, I know Sky Scrapers . . . but this Sky Scraper saturation should be fun to see!

• Nancy VanderRoest says:

Thanks for your insightful response, Shermika. I agree that the history of Hong Kong was not a smooth transition. I also found it intriguing that Hong Kongers don’t consider themselves to be a part of China. Interesting facts!

• Nancy VanderRoest says:

Hi Jacob. I agree that the skyscrapers of Hong Kong will be exciting to see. I also love New York’s skyscrapers as well. It will be an exciting journey to Hong Kong, that’s for sure.

Hi Nancy, I agree that the Tsang book was not a fun read. I am a fast reader but had difficulty finishing that book. However, the two books we read got me interested in a place I never had a desire to see. Like you I am now excited to visit Hong Kong and learn about the people and how they worship God. I think Hong Kong is probably the best way for Westerners to experience the East since it has the British influence. I look forward to expanding my understanding of the world we live in and enjoying the sights and sounds.

• Nancy VanderRoest says:

Agreed, Mary. It is going to be quite the adventure. The books gave us some background and insight….and now we get to experience it all in person! So excited!

Nancy, thank you for this list of interesting facts. I learned a couple of things and am even more excited to visit this fascinating place.

5. Shermika Harvey says:

Nancy, thank you for the very refreshing light blog. The read for the week was cumbersome, and a difficult read; and history is intriguing for me. I did find it interesting the identity crisis of the Hong Kongers. To be separated from your origin identity for some many years and adapting to another cultural influence could make things not so cut and dry.

• Nancy VanderRoest says: