“Excuse Me, I’m Flawed.”

Nigel Biggar author of Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning, stepped out on a ledge when writing his controversial book on British Colonialism. In the context of 2023, he took a risk and he also struggled greatly to have the book published. I believe in the value of varied perspectives. Learning from each other and seeking to understand different perspectives, can make us more well-rounded and I believe also develop more empathy. Biggar’s perspective is thought-provoking, well-studied, and brings to the forefront the minority side of the conversation in the midst of polarization.

Flawed Humans

Biggar notes that his perspective and his foundational beliefs are rooted in Christianity. He talked in his YouTube interview with John Anderson about how at the root of things is that he knows he is flawed and it is from knowing that he can see the flaws in others with more understanding. This made me think of the scripture about a seck in our eye and our rush to judgment not being warranted.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4. How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Matthew 7:3-5 New International Version

This idea that we are flawed and that this realization should soften our judgment on others can be valuable, as so often those on polarized sides of an issue can begin to treat the other side just as they were complaining they were treated. This cycle continues to dive a wedge and lead to deeper misunderstandings of each other. This can become a slippery downward spiral.

So then where does accountability fit in the mix of this?

Accountability

From this idea of understanding, forgiveness, and grace in the midst of our flaws, the line of accountability can become blurred. In his book about Colonialism, I feel like Biggar is walking this fine line and at times errors on the side of privilege when he is speaking. Colonialism certainly is rooted in stripping differences from groups. This fact means that there is a level of accountability that needs to exist that intentions can’t explain away. Biggar seems to want to give explanations, or even excuses, for Colonialism that takes away accountability based on intention. This too is a slippery slope that can get society into trouble, perhaps even the trouble we have found ourselves in today.

Final Thoughts

Colonialism did harm, those who set out in the name of colonialism may not have had an intent to do harm, however,  their views and their actions stripped culture and people groups from our world, in the name of safety, progress, or many other things. The ideas that Biggar presented regarding colonialism, racism, Christianity, power, and control, had me full of anxiety. Excuse me, I am flawed, but that does not mean I will set out to change you and expect forgiveness, it means I will set out humbly seeking to learn, this is the difference needed when considering intent and accountability.

1. Nigel Biggar Interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhNonmBA0Lo
  2. Holy Bible. Matthew 7:3-5. New International Version. Retrieved from https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%207%3A3-5&version=NIV
  3. Nigel Biggar, Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning (HarperCollins UK, 2023)

Sara Taylor Lattimore

Sara is adopted, a wife of 17 years, a mother to 2 amazing children who give her opportunities to be a cheerleader, dress up like a princess, play soccer in the mud, and go on amazing adventures. With a Bachelors in political science and sociology, Sara worked for Child Protective Services as a legal caseworker before following a call into full-time ministry in 2008. During her time in full-time ministry Sara has served in medium to large size local congregations, as well as camp ministry. Sara has a passion for serving others, writing, and speaking. In 2016 Sara worked on a joint publication as a Curriculum Writer. Sara wrote the Intergenerational/Family & Day Camp Resources in “Beyond Belief” for InsideOut Christian Resources for Outdoor Ministry- Published by Chalice Press- Release Date 2018. Sara is looking forward to writing her own book next. Sara completed her MDiv from Iliff School of Theology in 2019 and is currently working on her Doctorate in Leadership and Global Perspectives from Portland Seminary. Sara currently serves as Lead Pastor of a local church in Southwestern Montana. She has previously served in ministry positions leading congregations in engaging globally in healthy mission and outreach partnerships, living life missionally, building innovative programs, and building relationships as the Director of Missions and Outreach, College Ministry Coordinator, Family and Children’s Ministry Director, Director of Christian Education, and Camp Program Director. She is an innovator and visionary who looks to find empowering and dignity restoring ways of building communities of belonging, while listening and partnering with others to find ways to also address the needs of the communities she is planted in. Beyond her work, Sara dreams of growing her family through adoption, kayaking with Orcas, going on pilgrimage on the Camino De Santiago in Spain, traveling in an RV across North America, and traveling internationally.

11 responses to ““Excuse Me, I’m Flawed.””

1. Sara – I felt similarly about this book. I’m glad it was written. I appreciate his perspective and research. I also thought he came across as somewhat glib at times. Thank you for your insights!

Sara, I really like your blog. You brought out so many conflicting pieces of the book and the readers’ experience, as well. Your final paragraph makes a great point: “Excuse me, I am flawed, but that does not mean I will set out to change you and expect forgiveness, it means I will set out humbly seeking to learn, this is the difference needed when considering intent and accountability.” Thanks for writing!

Great post and reference to judgment. I was just at a conference where Frank Turek spoke on this. He mentioned it is often taken out of context and that we should judge but in perspective, love, and most importantly ourselves. It is self-reflective teaching. As for colonialism or massive empire shifts, I can’t help but judge that the darkness is involved and when we look back on moments in history like we are in this book, it is evident that we are flawed and evil is present. Nonetheless, I think Biggar did a nice job revealing a lot of insights on the subject and overall it was a great read. Thank you for your comments, especially “humble accountability.” Outstanding. Thanks.

4. mm Shonell Dillon says:

Great post, I have learned to lead through this book differently. I would have just thrown these thoughts to the side and bashed them. Now I am interested in listening and learning. I need to know what we will face throughout the world and not just our little communities.

5. mm Daron George says:

Sara,

Great post. There were a few things that I took note of. I like that you brought out that while understanding and forgiveness are important, they should not overshadow the need for accountability. I also agree that Biggar sometimes errs on the side of privilege in his discussion of colonialism, potentially excusing actions that strip culture and people groups from the world.

• Thank you Daron for your thoughts and feedback. I often worry as a pastor about the words I use around forgiveness and how I address the topic with people so that it doesn’t seem like I am excusing the actions that caused harm. This is a delicate balance.

“This idea that we are flawed and that this realization should soften our judgment on others can be valuable.”

Man! What would it look like if we all walked around with this at the forefront!?