Excellence In All Things

The Protestant Ethic and the ‘Spirit’ of Capitalism and Other Writings is a compilation of essays written by the late Max Weber. As a historian and sociologist, many have argued that his essay, The Protestant Ethic and the ‘Spirit’ of Capitalism, is one of the most influential social science works of our time.[1] Weber notes a distinction between Catholicism and Calvinism concerning capitalism. Whereas Catholicism placed a high regard on the ascetic life, such as eliminating personal property, he said this was “fatal for the capitalist spirit.”[2] Contrarily, as an expression of the spiritual life, Calvinism encouraged the engagement of secular life, much like Beddington observes of the Protestant movement. Such an outward expression of faith in secular life resulted in a “tough, upstanding, and active mind of the middle-class capitalist entrepreneur.”[3] Driven to work, perhaps out of an aspiration to ensure one’s salvation, Calvinists engaged the social sector successfully. However, like Catholicism, there remained a “Protestant asceticism,” which discouraged overindulgence and the consumption of luxuries.[4] To this point, Clark makes the following observation:

Alongside this new ‘work ethic’ ran a Protestant ascetic of desire, in which an ascetic of the material life of the cloistered monks was aspired to. The more strongly this Calvinistic asceticism was practiced, the more it resulted in an individual being driven further away from the material world. Andre Bieler calls this combination of work ethic and ascetic ‘Protestant occupational asceticism.’ Bieler describes how this ethic stimulates production, whilst the ascetic stops consumption, such that the capitalistic spirit is to produce much and consume little.[5]

Hence, the birth of capitalism. Clark effectively summarizes Weber’s position, noting the ‘salvation anxiety’ in collaboration with a pursuit of ordered lives and calling. Ultimately, this resulted in the “mastery of economic life and the ‘Spirit of Capitalism,’ in which much is produced, little is consumed, and the pursuit of profit is established as a morally good issue.”[6]

Contemplating Beddington and Weber, I am challenged to reflect on what I can glean from the Protestant, Evangelical, and capitalist movements. A few points of consideration:

• First, the engagement of both the spiritual and secular is a right demonstration of faith. Reading the gospels, Jesus faithfully proclaimed the gospel in both word and action. Matthew 4:23 says, “Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people.”[7] As Jesus has done, so shall we.
  • Second, an individual’s faith in Christ should drive believers to excellence in all sectors of life, spiritual as well as physical. The benefit we receive of His grace through Christ ought to produce an overflow of good works that benefit the well-being of those around us (cf. John 15:5-8, Matthew 5:16). With capitalism, I hope that one can engage the business sector well. Not only to be successful, but also generous and of the heart and mind of Christ such that God is glorified, and all gifts and abilities are used to further His kingdom endeavors. As a nonprofit leader, I would not be able to fulfill our vision apart from our partnership with like-minded believers, many of whom happen to be fully engaged in the social sector (and successfully so).
  • Lastly, even the best things can go awry without a proper understanding of stewardship. There are pitfalls with all good things, so the challenge for Christ-followers is to maintain a position where we take seriously God’s invitation to cultivate His Kingdom goodness, all the while maintaining a mindset that we are merely stewards of that which He has given for His glory. For this reason, I appreciate what Clark has to say regarding the anxiety capitalism creates. He says one way to remove this anxiety is “to see the providence of God as no longer an issue for anxiety, such that the more materially successful we are, the more we can see how God has provided.”[8]

[1] Philip S. Gorski, “Review of the Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism; the Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism and Other Writings, Max Weber,” Social Forces 82, no. 2 (2003): 833.

[2] Max Weber, Peter Baehr, and Gordon C. Wells, The Protestant Ethic and the “Spirit” of Capitalism and Other Writings, Penguin twentieth-century classics (New York: Penguin Books, 2002), 291.

[5] Clark, “Evangelism and Capitalism,” 82.

[7] New American Standard Bible: 1995 Update (La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation, 1995).

[8] Clark, “Evangelism and Capitalism,” 118.

Eric Basye

Disciple, husband, and father, committed to seeking shalom.

9 responses to “Excellence In All Things”

Eric, simply a great post with a concise, clear summary and very actionable takeaways. You mention the need for stewardship to keep the right perspective. I believe we live in a time of a sense of entitlement, leading us to view what we earn/get as something we deserve. How would you cast the vision for people immersed in entitlement in way that leads toward stewardship in a time like this? (Asking for a friend…)

• mm Eric Basye says:

Haha. Tell your friend… 🙂

You know, that is a great question. I have a lot of thoughts on that, but really not just ONE clear concise thought as every circumstance is different. For example, in our community, I am of the mindset that FREE is never better, apart from the gospel. Handouts are not the solution, but empowerment through opportunities. We are also working with two Afghan families right now too, and it has been interesting to see how they too have a tendency already toward entitlement. We have had some good (hard) conversations about money, budgeting, expectations, etc. that have really moved the needle. As to the larger (more well established) American Church, boy that is a hard one. However, I am oddly hopeful that as we leave Christendom (and the costs of following Jesus get greater), that this will serve as a wake-up call for the Church such that the pathway of entitlement is stripped away (at least to a degree) in firmly identifying with Christ.

There are some great books and videos that I can send your way if interested. Just email me.

A really thoughtful post, Eric. I loved this book and I find this subject endlessly fascinating. You use a great example of your non-profit work and how it both fits a real, immediate need in this life but at the same time your efforts have a spiritual impact for the kingdom. That’s the kind of ministry I want to create after finishing this program. With your work that you do, do think people of faith attracted to the idea of the prosperity gospel–that is, when materials blessings come, that is confirmation of God’s blessings in their life?

• mm Eric Basye says:

I would say that there is a tendency to view the poor in that way… if only they would love Jesus then everything would work out. While that is largely true, as the gospel leads to transformation, what is demanded of the Church is that we proclaim the whole gospel in both word and deed. It is a long, hard, difficult work, but transformation is certainly possible. That said, people who have a prosperity-gospel perspective to make it too long in the kind of work I do. Happy to chat more.

3. Kayli Hillebrand says:

Eric: Great post. In your vocational role, have you found opportunities to engage with folks that are wealthy as a result of their engagement in the social sector that have never been challenged or thought of utilizing their wealth for the building up of others/community? I’m wondering if/how that conversation differs from those who are more naturally inclined to give than not.

• mm Eric Basye says:

Absolutely. I see my work (especially as the Executive Director) as a two-fold work: we cannot be effective in our work in and by ourselves, so as we are fully engaging our low-income community, I also spend a significant amount of time engaging the community outside our neighborhood. Not only is this needed and good for our work, but I would say that it is equally good (and transformative) for the ‘wealthy’ outside my community.

4. mm Nicole Richardson says:

Eric thank you for your thoughtfulness.

As I read through the comments between you and Kayli, I thought about Lieberman and Long’s book and wondered how their information about the impact of dopamine on giving might inform how you approach raising money?

5. mm Denise Johnson says:

Eric,
    I appreciate your three clear and concise points of focus. I am particularly drawn to your second point. The counselor within me steers away from shoulds, even when my mind may want to scream it. I am curious how can we encourage, empower, develop a passionate desire to be in the process of becoming excellent? Do you have any particular techniques you have used to develop this type of passion out a love response more than a should response?