Even Wonder Woman Isn’t a Super Student

Wonder Woman We Can Do It      I have a confession: I LOVE to research and take notes, and I may have a little crush on Professor Derek Rowntree.

Professor Rowntree made my week with two simple ideas: 1) the ideal of the Super Student is a myth (Kindle Locations 313-315), and 2) every author is, essentially, trying to sell us something (Kindle Locations 632-635).

I am THAT student – the one who tries to reach the ideal, then crashes and burns when I can’t achieve my own expectations. I don’t want to just learn and do well, I want to ROCK it. Coming home from our London Advance brought me face to face with a stunning reality – I can’t do it all. In order to thrive academically and personally, I am going to have to organize, scale back, and say “no” to a few things. Realizing this put me into a bit of a tailspin. How can I still claim the title Wonder Woman if I am not a Super Student on top of everything else? Well, my new BFF, Professor Rowntree, poured soothing oil over troubled waters by pointing out what I should have known all along – there is no such thing as a Super Student, only students who work hard, work smart, and learn from their mentors, their colleagues, and their mistakes. Well shoot, I can do THAT.

Keep Calm Wonder Woman

Since I love to research and take notes, Professor Rowntree made my heart go pitter-pat when he dedicated a whole chapter to organization and preparation. His suggestions about lighting, timetables, and task lists reminded me of the incredible joy that comes with a new notebook, multi-colored post-it flags, highlighters, and an Amazon delivery box. While his suggestions for reading, studying, listening, and note-taking aren’t new, there was something comforting about having them all laid out in one book as a reminder. Yes, we’ve all done this before, but it’s time to sharpen our pencils for this new adventure. Rowntree’s book gave me the opportunity to review what has worked in the past and what needs a bit of rehabbing.

The final swoon for me came with Rowntree’s oh-so-cynical-but-spot on note that every author has a bit of Harold Hill or P. T. Barnum in their soul and we need to keep a watchful eye that we are not the newest “suckers.” Evaluating, questioning, testing, and vetting are necessary tools for research. It’s too easy to go all “fangirl” when a favorite author presents an opinion or suggested fact, but good researchers (and thereby good dissertation writers) approach an author’s work a bit like a used car they are trying to sell. It may be shiny and run well, but what if the sun roof leaks? It’s important to fact-check, analyze, and listen with a critical ear or your own work may end up being all wet (see what I did there?)

In the spirit of skepticism, I will note that my new-found crush let me down a bit with his SQ3R formula (Kindle Locations 2050-2054). I do like the idea of this formula, and the title is like a snappy Star Trek insignia, but I feel like the Recall and Review sections of this process create an extra time and effort burden that could be minimized by taking good notes during the Read step. I’m not saying the Review is unnecessary, but I do think the Recall step relies a bit too heavily on young minds that nimbly read a section, retaining the information well enough to capture it. At 50 years old, that ship has sailed and if I don’t write the thought as I read, the review step is moot. While this is not worth breaking up with Rowntree over, it’s good to be reminded that no one is perfect.

Kristin Hamilton

14 responses to “Even Wonder Woman Isn’t a Super Student”

1. Kristin- what an enjoyable post! Your “crush” on Rowntree had me laughing out-loud, (does your husband know?) but it was the Wonder Woman pic that really caught my eye. I am a real, unabashed fan of her, and was excited to see her face on your post. Interesting insights on the book. Sounds like you really resonated with him, and I admire your love for research. Thanks for the learning and the entertainment!

• Haha, thank you Jennifer. Scott is well aware of my crushes. Truth is I tend to crush on any really good author, especially when they seem to be talking right to me.
      When I read Scott this post, he reminded me that one of the reasons I love Wonder Woman is that she comes from a powerful community of women, and that most of her powers come from something she has to put on or carry. Good authors give us those things – bullet deflecting bracelets, the lasso of truth, etc. 🙂

2. Kristin I too can be a “fan girl” when it comes to reading books. Not that there is anything really wrong with that but I had never considered the sales person approach to writing. It is true that there is something to be sold within each book. The question I need to ask is “Should I buy it?” and “Why do I need it?”

Kristin, what a super fun post to read as usual.
    I resonate with the interaction about the Recall and Review sections of the SQ3R. I take extensive notes while I am reading right onto notecards that become the book marks for the book. They stay in the book forever so any time I need to review the book I just look on my cards, find my place and get that quote or whatever for the paper I am writing. So, I think I am combining those steps. I have found this the most useful system so far.

I enjoyed this post Kristin – nicely written! Although it doesn’t stretch to a crush, I also resonated with Rowntree and his simple reminders about organisation and note taking. I also can be too gullible and quick to accept the thoughts and opinions of my favourite authors and need to get better at critical thinking and writing.

• Give it time, Geoff. Some crushes take longer to develop. 🙂
      I’m glad I’m not the only one who tends to buy into what my favorite authors are selling.

• Katy Lines says:

I think you’ve hit on something here, Geoff. I also have my own favorite authors (shout out to Madeline L’Engle and Wendell Berry!). But as you aptly remind us, “I also can be too gullible and quick to accept the thoughts and opinions of my favourite authors.” It becomes easy to accept carte blanche everything said by authors/speakers we admire, without critically remembering that they, too, are fallible humans.

5. Hi Kristin,
    I too enjoyed Rowntree’s book. Reading his book gave me confirmation that my study habits were okay. I am with you on writing down immediately my thoughts or they will be lost forever.

6. He gave me a lot of confirmation on my study habits too, Lynda. What was one study “aha” he gave you?

Do you remember during our Advance we were told that we were in this program because they knew we could do it? That was such an affirmation that I will need to go back to over and over. The rub, though, is this that I keep asking myself: what was it they saw in ME that said, “yep, she’ll be a great asset to this program.” Or more likely, “this is a program that would be really beneficial to her.” Someone has decided that we are qualified to be here (not to be the super student, but to make it through the program). I’ve got to be satisfied with that and not worry so much about the “why” of it.