Evangelicalism

I could be labeled a religious, conservative republican and an evangelical. Most people who read that would automatically assume the worst about me. It is one of the reasons I chose to come to George Fox University, I would have the opportunity to be stretched. I would not be in the same circles I have run in since finding Christ. In addition, before August 2016, if you were labeled a religious liberal democrat, I automatically put you in a category you did not deserve to be put in. So, when I first started reading Evangelicalism in Modern Britain by Bebbington I was not sure where it would go. It was interesting in that at Southwestern Seminary (an SBC seminary) I had classes on church history and we did touch on British church history, but mainly focused on American church history once we got to the 1800’s. Reading this book was a great introduction to Evangelicalism roots.

In the opening chapter Bebbington discusses the four distinctives of evangelicals. “conversionism, the belief that lives need to be changed; activism, the expression of the gospel in effort; biblicism, a particular regard for the Bible; and what may be called crucicentrism, a stress on the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.”[1]  I would identify with all these markers. Since finding Christ and given the grace of his forgiveness, these things have been part of my mindset so I guess I am an evangelical.

I found Bebbington’s chapter on Walking Apart interesting. It was interesting to see the arguments for both sides, it seems to have come down to “an attempt to present Christianity in terms of modern thought, to translate traditional doctrines into a contemporary idiom. [2] This seems to be an argument less on “becoming all things to all people, that by all means I might save some. [3] Bebbington sees the liberal views as “rightly perceived at the time to be innovators.”[4] It seems as usual a high view of scripture is seen as old fashioned and small minded. I have been called worse. I do understand there are many who will see scripture as fluid, and some of the precepts as outdated, that is their prerogative. If there are those who choose to see scripture as inspired and inerrant it is their prerogative as well. I feel where both sides can fail is to see their interpretation as the only way scripture is to be received, and to be on the other side is to be heretical.  As I read Bebbington’s book I could no shake the feeling, right or wrong, he holds conservative viewpoints as old and outdated. Then I read this “In reality, as will appear, the progress of stronger views of inspiration, bolstering conservative opinion, was of equal importance.” [5]

It is at this point I started to relax my criticism of this book and to look at it with an open mind. If I am to call myself and evangelical pastor, I have to know my roots. Not just what I have been fed from one side or the other. A critical look at my forbearers is essential. So, what do others think of Bebbington’s treatment of the history of evangelicals. In his review of Bebbington’s book Robert Clouse speaks of how the book brings together “many details and interpretations into a cogent synthesis” [6]. One gets a sense of the magnitude of this work in bringing together many diverse ideas and show the relation between each other.

While reading this book, I got the sense that this was a historical reckoning as well as an attempt to understand the intricacies behind the evangelical movement in Britain, but  Desmond Bowing disagreed when he writes “Analysis is not the strongest part of the work…, He also tends to gloss over the challenges posed by the great secularist critiques…, the study is not as incisive in its later chapters as it is when discussing the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries.” [7] While I can understand that such a undertaking would be a challenge, it was worth reading. Michael Winter argues “The author has painstakingly analyzed all the major trends in doctrine and worship which have shaped evangelical Christianity in the last two and a half centuries.”[8] I agree with his analysis of Bebbington’s work.

The discussion of a social gospel as an alternative to the Evangelical gospel hit a chord with me. The idea of taking care of peoples social ills gives you an opportunity to to share the gospel. I have never understood the aversion to the social gospel some in my denomination feel. When I read “…the gospel must affect the environment. ‘If cleaner streets, better housing, seeter homes do not come within the scope of our aim, neither will those who are convinced that they have a right to these things come within the shadow of our places of worship.'”[9] Jesus met physical needs as well as spiritual. He healed then he saved. To many churches have forgotten the former and that takes away the effectiveness of the later. This is at the heart of my problem for my dissertation. Why has the American church have such an inward focus.

[1] Bebbington, D. W. Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A history from the 1730s to the 1980s. London: Routledge, 1996.  3.

[2] Ibid.  181-182.

[3] 1 Corinthians 9:22-23. In ESV Holy Bible. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2001.

[4] Bebbington, D.W.Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A history from the 1730s to the 1980s. London: Routledge, 1996.  183.

[5] Bebbington, D.W.Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A history from the 1730s to the 1980s. London: Routledge, 1996.  184.

[6] Clouse, Robert G. “Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A History from the 1730s to the 1980s (Book).” American Historical Review 96, no. 1 (February 1991): 165. Academic Search Premier, EBSCOhost (accessed January 11, 2018).

[7] Bowen, Desmond. “Evangelicalism in Modern Britain/Defending and Declaring the Faith/Age of Atonement (Book).” Victorian Studies 33, no. 3 (Spring90 1990): 505. Academic Search Premier, EBSCOhost (accessed January 11, 2018).

[8] Winter, Michael. “Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A History from the 1730s to the 1980s.” Political Quarterly60, no. 3 (July 1989): 389-390. Political Science Complete, EBSCOhost (accessed January 11, 2018).

[9] Bebbington, D. W. Evangelicalism in Modern Britain: A history from the 1730s to the 1980s. London: Routledge, 1996.  212.

Jason Turbeville

A pastor, husband and father who loves to be around others. These are the things that describe me. I was a youth minister for 15 years but God changed the calling on my life. I love to travel and see where God takes me in my life.

9 responses to “Evangelicalism”

Hi Jason,

I liked your discourse on “Walking Apart” and it caused me to think deeper critically.

I was a little surprised at how closely your choice of George Fox resembled mine, and never once did I expect everyone there to believe exactly as I have. Seeing different points of view have been excellent in our education journey, however, I must be honest, it has only solidified my conservative and evangelical beliefs, holding to what I believe Scripture has taught us.

How about you?

• Jason Turbeville says:

Jay,
      I have not moved from my beliefs but what I have done is open my ears and heart to hear different points of view and not have a judgmental heart.

Maybe we are all in the same boat. Choosing GF because it provided an avenue for discussion with those not necessarily within our tribe. Jason, I appreciate you for your willingness to be challenged and be in discussion with other like-minded brothers and sisters that you will disagree with.
    Concerning your last paragraph about social programs associated with the church, I too wonder why places don’t seem to see the holistic approach to ministry as our calling. Is this laziness or not wanting to be bothered with ministry that is undoubtedly messy? So often Christians love separating the soul and the body in our approach to the Gospel but I don’t believe we can truly separate one from another, nor should we.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Greg,
      I preached on Philippians chapter 4 today and the point I made was to be obedient in our giving and generosity and we walk side by side with God and others in ministry. I just don’t understand when the people of God refuse to do this.

Jason,

In our business, we must use caution with the “open mind” position in theology. An open mind, without the proper defenses in place, can be a dangerous place for any Christian, especially doctoral students who may fall prey to the subtle, devious, and divisive thoughts, suggestions, and ideas. Show me in scripture where any of the authors suggest having an open mind. I suggest keeping a closed mind that is hard wired to the Holy Spirit in us who helps us filter, discern, and shield us from the wiles of the devil that started with Eve when he said, “Did God say…” (Gen. 3:3).

I agree with your position that we need to help heal people by meeting them at their point of need, that they might see Christ in us, and that the Holy Spirit may prepare them for salvation.

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mike,
      I agree an open mind can lead to false doctrine, but if we are not open minded enough to see the opinions of others we may lose a chance to share Christ. It is a fine line to walk indeed.

4. Jason,

Thanks for your thoughts. I see in you a humble willingness to surrender to God’s word.

My life verse is “Today if you hear God’s voice, don’t harden your hearts as you did in the desert…” It always takes you back to today, right now… keep a soft heart and be responsive to God’s leading. It also infers that God is always speaking, and we need to tune our hearts toward Him to discover His leading now.

I think we can learn from British Evangelicalism which largely has avoided the schisms of North America, and where liberal and conservative streams more readily flow together.

One of the tensions I had prior to joining our cohort was my friends telling me George Fox is too conservative. (The opposite what you were fearing.) I’ve been happy with having all strands represented in our cohort. The body of Christ is wide, large, massive… bigger than we can imagine. It’s a blessing to experience it a bit now in our group. 😉

• Jason Turbeville says:

Mark,
      That is too funny, how we both saw GFU in such a different light, and then have been pleasantly surprised at how good a program it has been.

5. Chris Pritchett says:

Hey Jason, Great first post for the semester! I really appreciate your openness and vulnerability in your writing. Way to go allowing yourself to be stretched. It’s good to have the political and even theological diversity that we do in the cohort so that we carve a different way for the church to witness, just that we can reflect some of the diversity of Christianity while loving one another in the process. I liked that same chapter you did. Cheers brother!