Entrance, Embrace, and Exile as a Move Beyond Exit, Voice, and Loyalty

What do you do when you experience a disappointment in something? Hirschman answers that question in his famous 1970 work, Exit, Voice, and Loyalty. Humans tend to leave an organization or speak up and attempt to change an organization when we think things are not working the way they should. The invisible hand, or context (al a Adam Smith) in this, is of course one’s loyalty to the organization. For Hirschman, in economies the default is to leave when the profit is sinking, but when it comes to politics, people tend to use their voice and protest. Besides loyalty, the availability of other options, the size of the exit door, and perception that a complaint will be listened to and implemented all play a factor in weather a person fights or flights. Given the current declining membership in many local churches in my tribe within the United States, I was eager to read this book to discover some solutions to our dwindling numbers. I suggest that besides exiting and voicing, within the context of loyalty, churches should introduce entering (incarnation) and embracing (adoption) within our context of exile.

The Word became flesh and blood and moved into the neighborhood! (John 1.14 The Message)

This term we have been challenged to discern different authors’ assumptions about humanity. The human who Hirschman describes is a person who acts purely on self-interest. It is probably why he looks up to Oxford Alumnus Adam Smith (cha-ching). Inspired by his trip to Nigeria and studying the decrepit train system there, Hirschman concludes that it made more sense for customers to leave the trains and use private trucks instead. This maximized efficiency and profits. However, it also left the government owned train system in a state of perpetual disrepair. He also uses other examples like public education in the United States to prove his point.

I am wondering though, if churches should be set up to be filled with little-Christs who model the incarnation of Jesus instead of customers acting on self-interest. The Incarnation is an entrance to a derelict and run down human condition. One could make the case that God used his Voice and Exit option, but due to his Loyalty to His Creation, the Son ENTERED. I think it is also very informative (and should be formative) when Paul says in Philippians 2 that Jesus didn’t just enter our world, he entered as a slave. And that is not all, Paul says Christians should copy this. Where Hirschman assumes a humanity of self-interest, Paul challenges humanity toward self-emptying.

The world that Hirschman describes is one based on self-interest and self-gain; perhaps the American Dream. Jesus’ vision for the church is a group of people who “help others get ahead” (Philippians 2.4 The Message). What would a church focussed on incarnational self-denial look like?

Embrace The Church as Family

Many of us were impressed and moved by Krish Kandiah. Mainly using texts and thoughts from Ephesians and Philippians, Krish not only debunked several myths about the gospel and adoption, he made a strong case that churches should use the language of adoption and family to describe who we are and what we do.

Hirschman describes a humanity of consumers who seek out goods and services. This thinking works in the marketplace and in politics. For me, it just doesn’t translate to church. One of the reasons why some churches are declining is because they are full of people who are consumers of religious goods and services. Maybe they focus on church as an event. The person who thinks this way might say, “I go to church for the worship.” “or message.” “or for the Eucharist.” For this person, church is an experience. For others, church is about a person. You can spot these people because they constantly talk about their church with reference to the pastor. For example, “I go to ___(insert famous pastor’s name) church.” Thirdly, many people describe their church as a destination. “I go to ____ (insert popular church name).”

When looked at as someone’s project, experience, or location, people behave the way Hirschman describes. This is probably why so many current books on small groups tell pastors that we have to have small groups to close the back (re: exit) door. However, what if we started to describe our churches with the language of adoption and family? That would change everything!

Exile is Our Context

As Hirschman aptly points out, loyalty is the invisible magic that informs the interplay between exit and voice. For the Christian in the United States though, we would do well to admit our exile. Things just aren’t the way they are supposed to be. Jeremiah and Jeremy Crossley help us with this. Jeremiah 29 imagines a humanity in exile working and praying for the peace and prosperity of the city. Vicar Crossley is doing exactly that in his work at St. Margaret’s. He is leading his church, beyond just listening to voice and experiencing exit, but he is embracing exile.

My vision for the church I lead is to copy Jeremy Crossley. Yes exit is a reality and I need to wrestle with the why of exit. I could do well to listen better to those courageous enough to stay and vulnerably offer their voice. However, for the Hub to grow and thrive, I want to welcome the entrance of Jesus and his promise to not simply build His church, but to come in and dine with me and I want to pursue a picture of family and speak the language of adoption all within the context of exile.

Aaron Peterson

I am a working priest which means that I am a husband(to Lisa), dad(to four wonderful children), senior pastor and church planter(The Hub Vineyard Church), and high school social studies teacher(Verdugo Hills High School LAUSD). I am currently working towards a DMIN in Leadership & Global Perspectives @George Fox Seminary.

6 responses to “Entrance, Embrace, and Exile as a Move Beyond Exit, Voice, and Loyalty”

Aaron,

I like your positive turn around. Exit and Voice assume a negative setting. Your exile and incarnational entrance is a positive, proactive mentality and behavior. Yes, being an exile has negative to it (we’re not at home) but Jeremiah 29 turns it on its head and moves us forward as change agents. “I suggest that besides exiting and voicing, within the context of loyalty, churches should introduce entering (incarnation) and embracing (adoption) within our context of exile.” Yes, this is good.

You are also pulling forward what we read in Consumer Religion last year. This really is a huge issue in America. “I am wondering though, if churches should be set up to be filled with little-Christs who model the incarnation of Jesus instead of customers acting on self-interest.”

What are you seeing as our best efforts to transform our people into this kind of “little-christ?” Have you found a way to create this mentality among your people? How do you see “loyalty” as part of the antidote?

• Hi Marc. This is all very tricky for me. The Hub is starting a process of re-visioning where we are going to rethink through out values and priorities and reason for existence. This is not really one of my strengths but it is needed so we can move forward as a church.

Aaron,
    This is brilliant! Even your title is provocative—“Entrance, Embrace, and Exile as a Move Beyond Exit, Voice, and Loyalty.” You stated, “Where Hirschman assumes a humanity of self-interest, Paul challenges humanity toward self-emptying. Jesus’ vision for the church is a group of people who ‘help others get ahead’ (Phil 2:4). Very perceptive!
    How do you perceive implementing the concepts of entrance, embrace and exile into your ministry? How could you help your congregation to envision and accept the concept of a church focused on incarnational self-denial?

• Thanks Claire. I try to preach this way and disciple people to be the hands and feet of Jesus. It is not that easy so far. I do know though that I want a church full of people who do all the churchy-things for the sake of others, not just for ourself.

3. Aaron Cole says:

Aaron,

Great blog! I liked you push back on Hirschman’s consumeristic model and perishioner when it comes to the church. Do you think the average church attendee/Christian is more consumeristic (prone to voice and exit tactics) or more Christ like (self-less, committed, loyal)?

Aaron

• Hey AC. My experience in Southern California is that attenders are more materialistic minded. I think people commuting 30 minutes or more to a church for worship is case and point. How different would this state be if people worshipped locally.