Entering the Learning Portal – a Reflection about Threshold Concepts and Barriers

When I think about threshold concepts and the idea of moving through a threshold like a portal, I imagine teleportation, you know like in Doctor Who, Back to the Future . . . not sure why.  When I think about portals, I think about a tardis maybe?  When my three daughters were teenagers, they loved watching Doctor Who episodes.  My oldest even wanted a tardis in her bedroom.  The doctor was teleported into another time and place, obtaining new knowledge and awareness of another context.  When I imagine the process of teleportation, I see similarities to the experience of traveling through a doctoral program, without the easy push of a button, but with the Lord through the tardis of transformation.

Traversing through the Process

While my mind draws similarities to the teleportation of Doctor Who, I recognize that the idea of traversing through a threshold concept portal of sorts takes me from one place to another.  I anticipate the Lord’s work on my mind and heart.  I am sure that there will be times when, like Doctor Who, I would like to enter the tardis, push a button and go from one point to the other, done.  However, recognizing that this process will be difficult, I am incredibly grateful that I can rely on our Lord who is the pioneer and perfecter of my faith, and who has a plan and purpose for my life as I enter the portal.  

Threshold Concept as Portal for Transformation

As defined in the book Overcoming Barriers to Student Understanding, a threshold concept is a portal, opening up a new and previously inaccessible way of thinking about something (Meyer, 28).  The learner is going from one point in their understanding to another and it is transformational.  Because of this process, the mastery of a threshold concept is an irreversible process.   A transformation takes place that involves shifts in thinking, new outlooks on a topic, new eyes on a subject matter morphing into new perceptions or understandings about oneself and the world.  The learner cannot go back to a previous naive state.  So here I enter the portal with expectation for transformation.  There have been instances in the last several months when I have questioned my ability to enter this doctoral portal.  However, the Holy Spirit gently reminds me of the bigger picture, the amazing journey to this point and the hope of what is to come.

In the Ted Talk, Dr. Robert Coven, a high school history teacher used the analogy of learning to drive. He identified the difference between the expert driver and the student who may just want to complete the task.  At the start, the student driver considers doing multiple tasks simultaneously, becomes overwhelmed and experiences a block or barrier to their progress.  However, in his comparison, Dr. Coven noted the intuitive control that the expert has to look ahead at the greater picture, being able to put their understanding into a context.  When I am able to identify threshold concepts, a transformation or shift will happen in my identity as a learner and I will gain greater clarity into the bigger picture.  

Threshold Concept as Portal for Interdependence

Interdependence is a scary concept in our “do-it-yourself”, “go-it-alone”, self-reliant culture.  In my limited years on this planet, I have come to the conclusion that I can not do life outside of community.  I need the support of my family, my faith family, my colleagues and others.  Living in community has many challenges, but I believe that challenges increase the quality and production of fruit in us.  Interdependence sharpens us.  I am more likely to experience success when I lean into the gift of community.  In the text, Threshold Concepts in Practice, it stated that developing supportive academic communities of practice (Lave & Wenger, 1991) has been shown to provide ongoing sharing, support and mutual learning among communities of doctoral learners (Land, 166).  Every day my heart is filled with gratitude for the support I have received from my peer group, my cohort friends, and the faculty/staff.  It doesn’t feel like I am going it alone, but rather have the support of others.  I benefit from the ongoing sharing, support and mutual learning in our weekly Zoom meetings,  blog discussions and peer group times.  The support of this community has and will continue to help me in overcoming barriers in my understanding and be a major portion of my growth and transformation.

Conclusion

As I synthesize the information that I have processed in the texts and Ted Talk, and think about threshold concepts and barriers that will surface in me I recognize that this will not be easy.  The journey has already challenged the limits of my understanding. However, I have entered a learning portal, maybe not quite as easy as a tardis, but through this portal, through God’s love and grace, and in the community provided in this program, I will be transformed.  

Cathy Glei

Cathy Glei brings more than 25 years of experience in teaching, leading and coaching. She currently is an Instructional Coach and loves to support individuals in discovering who God has made them to be, both professionally and personally. She has led a variety of professional development opportunities, trainings and workshops both in the fields of education and ministry. Cathy desires to support individuals in discovering the Creator's design and image within. Cathy and her husband, Steve, live in Michigan with their seven year old Springer, Otis. They have three adult daughters and two son-in-laws. Together, they enjoy the company of friends (both old and new) in their home, as well as cycling, camping, backpacking and hiking. They can be found hiking and enjoying the outdoors with Otis right alongside them.

5 responses to “Entering the Learning Portal – a Reflection about Threshold Concepts and Barriers”

1. mm Kim Sanford says:

Yes, Cathy, thank you for highlighting the community aspect of this doctoral program! It’s one of the things I’ve appreciated the most thus far and I’m glad you connected it to our reading. I find it fascinating that we can all be working on such different areas of study and yet we can learn together and support each other. Maybe we could say the learning community contributes positively to our metacognitive experience, if we had to put academic terms on it. I think we could also just say it makes the process more fun.

2. Travis Vaughn says:

“Trust the process.” That’s a phrase that has kept me engaged with this doctoral program. That’s what came to mind when I read your statement about a “transformation or shift (that) will happen in my identity as a learner and I will gain greater clarity into the bigger picture.” This is the conversation I had with my wife this afternoon as we walked our dog around the neighborhood. I attempted to explain what we were reading this week. I’m thinking the Doctor Who analogy would have helped, even though I’m quite sure she has never seen the show, nor does she care for Sci-Fi. At any rate, I said “trusting the process” is what I’ve got to do. Well done taking on that subject (Dr. Who / Sci-Fi) in your blog post and traversing through the portal of understanding threshold concepts. While you are in this “liminal” state, in this program, I wonder what questions you might ask yourself, since you are a coach…questions like “What will I stop doing in order to continue clearing a path for learning, and continued engagement with new portals, over the next 2.5 years?” That’s the kind of question I grappled with this week.

3. mm John Fehlen says:

Between you and Jenny, I think I have reached my quota of Science Fiction talk (ie: Star Trek, Dr. Who)!

I’m gonna need to binge-watch “The West Wing” or “Friday Night Lights” in order to detox from all this Nerd Banter.

Ha! 🙂

However, what captured me about these analogies (in all seriousness), is the aspect of community that you drew out in your writing. I too have been blessed by the connection of our Peer Group and Cohort – and have experienced strength in numbers – the shared resource of knowing we’re in this together.

For example, my best friend Tim Clark and I are doing this graduate degree together. I do all the reading, and he does all the writing; our system works great!

Just kidding.

The other day we were remarking about what a blessing it has been to be on this journey together. We’re learning, growing, laughing (ok..actually crying) together. It’s so rewarding, and I appreciate it a great deal.

I would extend that appreciation to you Cathy, as well as to Jana, Dinka, Tim, and to our Project Faculty Aaron.

Praise God for his love, grace and community!

Hi Cathy, I think I might have watched half of a Dr. Who episode. I go lost! I need to give it another try. I loved your comments, “Interdependence sharpens us. I am more likely to experience success when I lean into the gift of community.” Dr. Melissa Ramos my OT professor at Portland Seminary coined the phrase, “Theological Friendships.” She encouraged us each semester to build on our theological friendships, not just throughout the course of our study, but after graduation. I am so grateful for that wise advice and how as a cohort we are so quickly experiencing the budding of new theological friendships. Knowing I am not doing this alone is freeing. I am so inspired and learning so much from this cohort and my peer group as well. How have you been sharpened and supported so far? I am glad to be on this journey with you!

5. mm Pam Lau says:

Kathy,
    I quote you here: “Every day my heart is filled with gratitude for the support I have received from my peer group, my cohort friends, and the faculty/staff. It doesn’t feel like I am going it alone, but rather have the support of others. I benefit from the ongoing sharing, support and mutual learning in our weekly Zoom meetings, blog discussions and peer group times. The support of this community has and will continue to help me in overcoming barriers in my understanding and be a major portion of my growth and transformation.” I agree wholeheartedly with your paragraph. While I was reading the chapters this week, I found myself so thankful how this doctoral program is more than just focused on reading academic works. I love the work but like you, I love the community and people so much more! Thanks for saying it so well! I am curious what part of the program is making you question if you should be on the doctoral track?