Dream with Me

Fear of an impending nuclear war can lead a person to do many things. In the case of Jordan Peterson, he chose to write Maps of Meaning in 1984, believing it be his responsibility “to figure out how we should act in the world and how we are to act around other people, and relationship with the broader world across time.” [1] He describes this daunting task as a “viciously difficult problem.” [2] It isn’t surprising that this all-consuming task influenced him in various ways:

“I turned to my dreams- acting on a tip from Jung, who had proposed that the dream might contain information, when no other source would suffice. I spent several years intensely working and thinking-trying to understand individual human motivation for the worst possible human actions. I had decided to devote my life to the problem of evil.”[3]

Peterson turned to his dreams. I have great empathy for those who vividly dream, and I could not help but think of my clients who have this same struggle. This week, one of my clients reported an increase in dreams, and this sparked an interest to revisit this topic of dreams. I turned to Maps of Meaning and other resources to help me pursue a discussion on this topic. In this blog I will discuss what dreams are (proposed by different theorists), how a clinician might assist clients with them, and what good might come from them.

Dreams– How do Theorists Define Them?

Walt Disney’s classic movie Pinocchio features the song “When you wish upon a star.” The lullaby almost puts us in a dream state. Many believe that wishing might be compared to dreaming, but this is not always true. Steve De Shazer, in his book More Than Miracles, states: “according to Freud’s theory, all dreams are wish fulfillments. Freud wanted to find one explanation which would show what dreaming is.” [4] Do dreams have only one explanation? Irvin D. Yalom, a leading psychologist, believes, “Dreams can be an invaluable aid in effective therapy. They represent an incisive restating of the patient’s deeper problems, only in a different language– a language of visual imagery.” [5] These deeper problems are often kept unconscious and displayed in a person’s dreams. Daniel Lieberman in his book Spell Bound speaks of the unconscious, “With its enormous processing power and instinctual energies, the unconscious can be a powerful ally. We’ve all been surprised by strengths and abilities we didn’t know we had.” [6] From my limited practice in dream work, I believe Yalom and Lieberman provide a good definition for a dream. 

Dare to Process your Dreams

When I first became a clinician, I thought that helping people with their dreams was best left to people like Joseph in the Old Testament who interpreted the dreams of Pharaoh. Surely, helping clients with dreams would remain out of my scope of practice and this would be a ball I could dodge. I have grown as a clinician and now welcome clients to share their dreams. Irvin Yalom confirms, therapists should “make it clear that ‘they’ are interested in them (dreams).” [7] My clients have reported that they rarely, if ever, share their dreams with anyone. A safe relationship must be established for clients to share. Is it safe for clients to disclose dream content as this may leave them fragile and fearful?  I agree with the developmental psychologist, D.W. Winnicott emphasis: “All the time in our analytic work we are assessing and reassessing the ego strength of the patient.”[8] A therapist must gauge the internal strength of a client. It is best if processing dreams remains pressure-free and on the client’s terms. 

When clients recount their dreams, a therapist can aid a client in rescripting their memories.

“Imagery rescripting can comprise either trying to alter a previous memory to soften the memory or by creating new images all together. Having the client respond in a more effective manner, having them have had a more effective interpretation or internal response at the time, or extending the story to a later point where the bad thing happened but they were still doing well in the big picture.” [9]

I am so proud of my clients who are willing to share with me their dreams. I agree with Peterson when he compares dream work to being on an adventure which brings treasure in the end. [10]

Discovering the Meaning of Dreams

This past weekend, I went to a bookstore and found a section of books on dreams, which were primarily on dream interpretation. I have always guffawed at the notion of being able to interpret dreams for others when the beauty of interpretation lies with the client’s personal discovery.  Dream interpretation is described by Jordan Peterson:

“The things that are most informative are frequently the most painful. Under such circumstances, it is easy to run away. The act of running away, however, transforms the ambivalent unknown into that which is too terrifying to face. Acceptance of anomalous information brings terror and possibility, revolution, and transformation. Rejection of unbearable facts stifles adaptation and strangles life.” [11]

I propose Scripture as an intervention with dream work and rescripting memories. As we take our dreams and memories to Jesus, He is there to provide a corrective emotional experience. This can be done by personally reading Scripture or sharing with a trusted counselor or spiritual director. I recently listened to the workshop Dr. Clark gave with Margaret Bristow on Mental Health, where Dr. Clark shared:

“The Gospels and Scriptures- we sometimes think that was in the past and something God wants us to learn about. One of the reasons Jesus said that it was better for him to go is that He was going to send His Spirit…everyone can participate in Him. In your mind and with the Holy Spirit, you are there with Jesus in the Gospel stories. You get to experience Jesus and what He did then.” [12]

For those who invite Jesus into their dream work or difficult memories and put themselves (imaginatively) in the Gospel stories, comfort and healing comes. I may not be able to invite Jesus into the rescripting of memories with clients, but I can be inquisitive as to how God may have been providing, protecting, and caring for this person during their dark events. This comes in asking questions like: “When did you find safety?” or “How did you find yourself out of this dream?” Often these glimmers of light have not been noticed until I journey with them into these dark places. It is clear to me that God is seeking to fulfill Psalm 139:11-12, which states: “even the darkness will not be dark to you.”  ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

————————————————————————————————–

[1] Jordan B. Peterson, Jan 2017 lecture -YouTube; 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos, Canada: Random House, 2018

[2] Jordan B. Peterson, Jan 2017 lecture -YouTube

[3] Jordan B. Peterson, Maps of Meaning: Architecture of Belief,  New York: Routledge, 1999, p.460

[4] Steve De Shazer, More Than Miracles: The State of the Art of Solution-Focused Brief Therapy, New York: Routledge, 2021 p.105

[5] Irvin D. Yalom, The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients, New York: Harpers Collins, 2002. p.226

[6] Daniel Z. Lieberman, Spell Bound: Modern Science, Ancient Magic, and the Hidden Potential of the Unconscious Mind, Dallas, Bella Bella Books Inc.  2022.128

[7] Irvin D. Yalom, The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients, New York: Harpers Collins, 2002. P.235

[8] D.W. Winnicott, The Maturational Processes and the Facilitating Environment, New York: Routledge, 1965, p.252

[9] Scott H. Waltman, Socratic Questioning For Therapists and Counselors: Learn How to Think and Intervene Like a Cognitive Behavior Therapist, New York: Routledge, 2021, p.197

[10] Jordan B. Peterson, Maps of Meaning: Architecture of Belief,   New York: Routledge, 1999 p.407

[11] Ibid.p.407

[12] Jason Clark & Margaret Bristow, Mental Health and Faith,24/7 Prayer You Tube, May 31, 2023

Kristy Newport

12 responses to “Dream with Me”

1. mm Shonell Dillon says:

It interesting that you work with dreams. I have never did any in-depth dream work but I am very interesting in float backs. Do you work with any clients that you use float backs with.

• Kristy Newport says:

Shonell,
      I am not familiar with float backs. Please let me know what these are and your experience with them.

I found myself prompting a client yesterday to do a “flash back” to childhood/to a person who my client would think of whist discussing events in the present day. This was very helpful for client to make associations as to why client was thinking and processing things in current events. (I am trying to not use pronouns he/she)

2. mm David Beavis says:

This post was fascinating. I had not made the connection between dreams and imaginative engagement with the Scriptures! Would imaginative engagement on the Scriptures be similar to Lectio Divina? Or would you say it’s a different thing entirely?

• Kristy Newport says:

I texted you this info but others may be interested as well:
      I have a brilliant daughter who says….”I think Lectio Divina is a bit different…It’s a deep form of Bible reading that has a posture of prayer and listening as you reread a passage. The imagination may ormay not be a significant part of that. I think what you are getting at in the blog is closer to Jesuit-style imaginative contemplation.”

I need to go to this source she sent me:
      Imaginative Contemplation/Jesuits in Britain
      jesuit.org.uk

I hope this is helpful

3. Kristy Newport says:

David,
    Thank you for reading my blog post.
    Yes, this is similar to Lectio Divina.
    I am thinking of Hebrews 4:12
    For the Word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow, it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

4. Caleb Lu says:

Kristy,
    Thanks for this post! I don’t really remember my dreams, and none of them have been as vivid as the ones of nuclear apocalypse that Peterson describes. I always felt as though I were missing out on something. In highlighting Dr. Clark’s workshop on the power of the Holy Spirit and your own insight of scripture breaking into our memories and perhaps hopes and daydreams reminds me that there is so much imagery for us to interact with. Thank you!

5. Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Kristy, I loved your post! Thank you. Your clients are so fortunate to have a clinician willing to research and learn new areas so as to better understand and be able to support and help them.

This was a fascinating discussion on dreams. I especially liked this thought of yours: “For those who invite Jesus into their dream work or difficult memories and put themselves (imaginatively) in the Gospel stories, comfort and healing comes. I may not be able to invite Jesus into the rescripting of memories with clients, but I can be inquisitive as to how God may have been providing, protecting, and caring for this person during their dark events.”

What a great idea to invite Jesus into our dreams. Also, what a great way you have with questions, pursuing people with care and wisdom and walking alongside them as they discover open doors to healing. Thanks so much for your post!

• Kristy Newport says:

Jenny,
      Thank you my dear friend!!
      It is wonderful to suggest to Christians who are having dreams/bad ones….ask Jesus to come into your dreams….invite him. I truly believe that Jesus can enter peoples dreams and rescript things for them. I honestly can not attest to processing this with many clients. I would personally love to wake up and remember a dream where Jesus was there!!! This has never happened. I do not remember my dreams-rare occurrence.
      I enjoyed this blog-writing blogs is always work but it was so helpful for me to revisit resources that discussed this topic.

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

I love this! “I truly believe that Jesus can enter peoples dreams and rescript things for them.” You’ve given me something new to ponder.

• mm Becca Hald says:

Kristy, I have had a couple of dreams where Jesus was present. It is a surreal experience and a disappointment to actually wake up. I remember the Northridge Quake in 1994. I woke up thinking it was the Second Coming of Christ and was never more disappointed to realize that I was only dreaming.

6. Alana Hayes says:

What a joy you are to your clients! I am so proud to watch you soar at the gifts that God has given you!