Dolly Parton, Led Zeppelin, and Leadership

I must admit: I hate country music. I dislike the sound and find the lyrics sappy and sad. I grew up on Led Zeppelin and Bruce Springsteen. However, I gained much respect for country icon Dolly Parton this last week. She received a nomination for induction into the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame and declined it. She stated she is not yet worthy because she has not released a rock album and does not want to split the votes for the other nominees. I dabble on Twitter, and that platform is often a brutal gauntlet of rants, criticisms, and judgments. The fall of recent prominent Christian leaders led to a tirade of “they’re all hypocrites,” “religion is a scam,” and more commentary not fit for a blog post. The Twitter response to Dolly’s declining the nomination received the opposite reaction: “Dolly Parton is beyond worthy,” “Someone invent an award this generous soul will accept!” and “Wow, she’s the real deal.” What does that have to do with leadership? That last comment expresses a leadership characteristic needed in the ministry realm and defined by author and university professor Peter Northouse.

Targeting a broad audience, Leadership: Theory and Practice details different leadership models. Northouse defines leadership as “a process whereby an individual influences a group of individuals to achieve a common goal.”[1] He follows that definition by explaining leadership as a “transactional event” between a leader and followers. This understanding of leadership makes it accessible to all, not just those with a leadership position. He includes a practical understanding of each leadership theory, giving real-life examples of that trait in action. It is little wonder why this book has widespread use in undergraduate and graduate studies since it incorporates and connects the theoretical and practical aspects of leadership.

Leadership contains three main sections. First comes a general introduction to leadership including a definition of terms. Second, Northouse examines twelve different “approaches” to leadership. Each of these chapters begins with a detailed explanation of a specific approach followed by evaluating its strengths and weaknesses. Application and examples clarify the understanding of the practice. Third, he delves into contemporary issues in leadership, including women leading, culture, and leadership ethics.

Each of the approaches to leadership possesses validity and finds function in various contexts. The diversity of types of leadership style argue for an understanding of leadership of the results, not the presenting type. One could argue that no hard lines exist between the different types as one approach can blend with another. In Luke 7:35, Jesus says, “Yet wisdom is justified by all her children.” (ESV) That saying points to the future impact as the proof of wisdom. Similarly, Northouse appears to argue, “Leadership is proven by its results.” Leadership is not a trait, style, or mannerism but influences others toward a shared goal. “Influence is the sine qua non of leadership. Without influence, leadership does not exist.”[2] More than ever, influence must be present, primarily through the context of relationship. Emerging generations seek a “Guide by the Side” rather than a “Sage on the Stage.”[3]

What does this have to do with Dolly Parton? One chapter, titled “Authentic Leadership,” intrigued me. I had never heard that title ascribed to leadership before. While I believe the word authentic has lost most of its meaning due to overuse and misuse, this chapter explained the power of “self-awareness, an internalized moral perspective, balanced processing, and relational transparency.”[4] Northouse references recent lapses in public and private leadership, leading to a growing distrust. “Authentic leadership helps to fill a void and provides an answer to people who are searching for good and sound leadership in an uncertain world.”[5] How much more pressing is the need in the uncertainty of this day?

As a part of my NPO, I interviewed three ministry leaders who varied greatly in age and experience. Each of the three expressed the need for character in those they sought to add to their staffing. Each tire of the moral and ethical failures from a lack of character. When I began to hire people, I used the three “C’s” that I learned from some source I do not remember. Those “C’s” are competence, character, and chemistry. The way they are listed is the value I placed on them. Today, quite a few years and experiences later, my order is reversed. I have learned that you can teach competence, but you cannot teach character or chemistry. Dolly Parton recently exhibited character to the respect of many. Northouse states about the newness of this leadership approach, “Authenticity is important and valuable to good leadership, but how authenticity relates to effective leadership is unknown.”[6] The impact of authenticity on leadership in ministry is known, as is its absence.

[1] Peter G. Northouse, Leadership: Theory and Practice 6th ed. (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2013), 5.

[3] Jared Keengwe and David Georgina, “Supporting Digital Natives to Learn Effectively with Technology Tools,” International Journal of Information and Communication Technology Education 9, no. 1 (January-March 2013): 53, accessed March 14, 2022. https://go-gale-com.georgefox.idm.oclc.org/ps/retrieve.do?tabID=T002&resultListType=RESULT_LIST&searchResultsType=SingleTab&hitCount=1&searchType=AdvancedSearchForm&currentPosition=1&docId=GALE%7CA367420377&docType=Report&sort=RELEVANCE&contentSegment=ZAHM&prodId=PPIS&pageNum=1&contentSet=GALE%7CA367420377&searchId=R3&userGroupName=newb64238&inPS=true

[4] Northouse, Leadership, 267.

Roy Gruber

Husband, father, pastor, student, and sojourner in Babylon

10 responses to “Dolly Parton, Led Zeppelin, and Leadership”

1. mm Jonathan Lee says:

Ty for your insights Roy and for your illustrations,

I also reflected on topic of authentic leadership this week. In your experience, what are some practical ways that young followers of Jesus can build up their authentic leadership over the years?

• mm Roy Gruber says:

Jonathan, in our experience, the best way to build authenticity happens in relationships. We are big believers in small groups as a way to in depth with people and, when appropriate to do so, to share our struggles, not just our strengths. In that process we can discover that it’s OK to be real and we will still be loved once more of our true self is known.

Roy: Such an great synopsis of this book and the relationship to the events of the week with Dolly Parton.

I’m curious your thoughts on authenticity of the church or disciples when it comes to those who are skeptical, cynical, or perhaps have been hurt by the church in the past. For perhaps a non-believer, how would you characterize they would even be able to recognize true authenticity in a pastor, church, congregant when embedded in a society that tends to lean towards performance over real.

• mm Roy Gruber says:

Kayli, such a complex question in this day of skepticism. In our context, we have many people like those you describe. Those leaving the LDS Church do so with many wounds. We try to model authenticity in all that we do. For example, when speaking on a Sunday morning, I will speak about abusing alcohol in the past, arguments my wife and I have had, other struggles when appropriate. We also have a program called “Celebrate Recovery” and I often mention that I attend that. I like to use the phrase “Pastors are people too” to communicate that the ground is level in the church and we are all seeking to discover the life God has for us and we are all a work in progress. It’s an important question because younger generations especially are very good at sensing phoniness.

Roy: great post and I appreciate your comments about authentic leadership. I agree that the word ‘authentic’ is over used but Northouse’s chapter on authentic leadership struck a chord with me. It is so essential to be transparent and to have an internalized set of morals that others can see in you. This is even more true for those of us in a ministry context. People are watching carefully. What other of the 12 leadership styles resonate with you in your position?

4. Roy, I love your post. You quote Northouse, “Leadership is proven by its results.” If vulnerability becomes a prime value in your context, what result would it likely bring? How would that result be received by the church and denomination?

Great post. Really well done as you brought in an interesting case study, Dolly, and the text. This interaction really drew me in as the reader, intrigued to press on and read to the end.

I would agree that the impact of authentic leadership is known, which speaks to your line about leaderhsio being proven by results.

Knowing you, my guess is that inately you function as an authentic leader. You can’t help it; it is who you are, which is a gift.

As you think about your passion to develop other leaders, what are some tangible ways you can help future leaders grow in their understanding of what it means to be authentic?

Fabulous post.

Authenticity is needed now more than ever, especially within our churches. And it begins with those leading the local congregation by modeling the way.

One of the leading reasons people have stated they are leaving the church, according to Gallup, is a lack of authenticity. For people, there is a tremendous disconnect from what they see if Jesus to the church’s way.

Instead of posturing itself with a faith-based approach to life, too many churches have burrowed down into brash certainty where there is no room for authentic vulnerability.

7. Elmarie Parker says:

Roy, thank you so very much for your thoughtful and thought-provoking post! I have to say, I was waiting to read your thoughts on the leadership implications of Zeppelin and Springsteen :). What you brought forward regarding Dolly Parton is so valuable. Her authentic example seems to challenge the cynicism that is out there. Is that perhaps one of the results of authentic leadership? What might be other results that follow from authentic leadership?

Roy, thank you so much for your post. Your insights have helped me to further process my own thoughts from the book. I am a person who highly values relationship, while my supervisor is a self-proclaimed introvert. The line, “more than ever, influence must be present, primarily through the context of relationship,” was very impactful for me. It was at that moment I realized that my supervisor has no influence in my world, as much as I would like it. But that is because he has no relationship with me nor are we working to a common goal.
    Thanks so much for your post.
    Save travels!