Doing Visual Ethnography

Reading Doing Visual Ethnography by Sarah Pink is an interesting whole new area that I am introduced to in this book. It is interesting to realize the impact that images have in our lives. I found it fascinating when Pink says, “Images are ‘everywhere’. They permeate our academic work, everyday lives, conversations, our imagination and our dreams” (Kindle Locations 434-435) I think images were not everywhere when I was growing up. When I think of how images are viewed in my culture and my family, taking pictures was not as important as they are today. It is not because we didn’t like pictures but they were merely not part of our culture. Stores were passed orally from generation to generation.

I did notice an interesting shift in our society when I was back home this summer. Visual images are becoming very popular. For instance, when buying music CDs people prefer purchasing DVDs because of the visuals images. Most couples are having their wedding recorded for memories.  It is true that photographs or videos bring back memories and help us “visualize and draw absent printed or electronic images into narratives through verbal descriptions and references to them.” (Kindle location 436)

Pink states clearly that this book is written  “primarily for ethnographers, photographers, video makers and hypermedia artist who wish to incorporate the visual into their ethnographic work …(Kindle Locations 65-66). Although, I am not any of those, I do find the concepts helpful for my study and ministry.  The author states ethnography, not a mere data collection, but “as a methodology; as an approach to experience, representing and interpreting the culture and society that informs and is informed by sets of different disciplinary agendas and theoretical principles.”  (Kindle Location 459)  Serving in cross-cultural ministry, I know how easily I can get bias and assume as if I knew everything. It seems to me that we need the cooperation of our informants in ethnographic process. As Pink says, “By focusing on collaboration and the idea of ‘creating something together” (Kindle Locations 1150-1151).

Another important point to keep in mind is the centrality of ethnographers experience in the process of experience in creating and representing ones culture and society the process. The author says,  “It does not claim to produce an objective or truthful account of reality.”  (Kindle Location 461)   I believe this will give us room for flexibility to examine and question the ethnographic research.

Finally, with all the great ways that we can utilize images I do think that we need to be sensitive and ask permission of our informants when taking pictures.  In my experience working with our partners who have come for short-mission trips, I once had an experience when one of our partners took a picture of the people there without having permission, this caused them to get angry and cover their faces. So from this experience, I learned that we couldn’t just assume, we need to be considerate and respectful when we go on a short-term mission or as a tourist.

Pink, Sarah  Doing Visual Ethnography. SAGE Publications. Kindle Edition.2006

Telile Fikru Badecha