Discerning the Many Voices of Leadership

The Many Voices of Leadership

As I look for book titles on leadership on Amazon, I find more than 30,000 results.  It’s overwhelming. Advice on leading seems to have no limits.  

Lead out of who you are

Selfish leadership

Become a multiplier.

Become good to great.

Coaching as leadership.

Trust and inspire

A Leader’s Job? Nail down certainties  

Achieve agreement

Leadership is a journey

The Influence of leadership

Leaders eat last

Though the conversations around leadership have shifted in the past few years, an unspoken expectation that accomplishment be the primary pursuit of leadership, is often still defining many books[1], articles[2] and ideas in the leadership culture.   That is why Dr. Jules Glanzer’s new book, The Sound of Leadership: Kingdom Notes to Fine Tune Your Life and Influence is insightful, refreshing and self-reflective all at once: He claims the vocation of leadership is best seen as a musical score consisting of rhythm, melody, and harmony.  And this mindset affects more than the way one might lead; it also impacts the way others follow – follow us, that is.  

A Kingdom Seeking Sound of Leadership

The messaging in leadership culture repeatedly reminds us that leadership is hard work, isolating, and often received with criticism.  Yet, Glanzer’s thoroughly kingdom centered approach in learning to discern the different voices around us and distinguishing God’s Voice from the cacophony centers the content not in accomplishing but in discerning.  One of the author’s most pivotal discerning questions asks, “What is the difference between marketplace leadership and kingdom-seeking, God-honoring, biblically rooted leadership?”[3]  What message might this question send to us?  How we answer that question, I believe, influences future leaders.

We each arrived at this program with a body of wisdom and intuition about our leadership roles. In Glanzer’s language, our leadership sound and frequency interpreted our roles in many ways.  We knew we didn’t want to end up like the stories we hear of “Christian” leaders whose attitudes and actions defy what it means to be a Christian. Again, I hear the author saying that “kingdom mindset” affects more than the way we lead, it impacts those who follow. How we listen and discern, “Intentionally or unintentionally, sets the voice, tone, and mood of the organization.”[4] Or as Henri Nouwen taught us about discernment, “Perceiving, seeing through, understanding, and being aware of God’s presence.”[5]

Why Discernment Matters Amidst The Many Voices

And all the while I cannot stop thinking about the college students, young adults and future leaders who experience a vast array of voices that our generation may not hear.  In May of 2023, Dr. Perry Glanzer (no relation to Jules Glanzer), wrote an open letter to the class of 2023  in the Christian Scholar’s Review. The letter addresses the never-ending stream of joylessness soon to be graduates hear and watch on TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube feeds. He writes that if there is a descriptor of the vice that older generations have labeled them it would be joylessness.  Pointing to their literature with Hunger Games, Divergent, Mazerunner, Uglies, Matched, etc.  Glanzer admits there is little to no joy in these books.”[6]  Between 2010-2019, the presence of joy in the news substantially changed, only becoming increasingly negative. Because he sees the resulting lack of joy and hope in his own national research in how college students think about life purpose and the good life, he offers this advice: “Find Joy.”[7]  He concludes his address by pointing his audience to what truly awakens joy– in our purpose, companionship, beauty, goodness noting that to receive joy from God you have to realize what it is.

It’s here where I see Glanzer’s thesis insightful and theme important as he asks personal questions and makes practical applications. If Chapter Six is true that each of us represents a masterpiece composition of the Lord, then even the generation who needs to find joy in their lives create a song to the Lord through their experiences. And God is raising them up as leaders.

In chapter 13, Dr. Glanzer is convinced that “Kingdom motivation brings joy to the Father.”[8] and offers the following statements:

• Kingdom leaders seek God’s kingdom rather than build their own empire
  • Kingdom leaders influence rather than control
  • Kingdom leaders work from inside out rather than outside in.[9]

Discerning the Masterpieces

When I read those statements in light of future leaders, I hear them with a desire to find more messages on how one generation of leaders can be motivated to help the next generation Listen, See, Learn, Do and Love.  If What Dr. Perry Glanzer writes about joylessness in college graduates is accurate, they need relationships with leaders who can get close enough to them to hear the masterpieces God created out of our experiences.  Throughout this past year’s readings, I’ve discerned that Joy comes from meaningful relationships, coaching[10], thinking, planning and self-reflection, self-differentiation.[11]

Just last month, we listened as Jo Nelson shared her research with us about the leadership derailment where she purported, “Derailment can almost always be traced back to relationship problems.  When relationships are strong, people will forgive mistakes. But when relationships erode, tolerance for mistakes will get a [manager] fired.”[12]  And perhaps when relationships across the generations are strong, younger and older leaders will forgive each other.

Perhaps Dr. Jules Glanzer’s new leadership book is one more note on the scale of forging stronger relationships between the generations of leaders.  

[1] Luna, Tania and LeeAnn Renninger. The Leader Lab: Core skills to Become a Great Manager Faster.

[2] Width, Mareike, and Rose Zacks. 2011. “Time of Day Effects on Problem Solving: When the Non-Optimal Is Optimal.” Thinking & Reasoning 17, no. 4 (March): 387-401.

[3] Glanzer, Jules p. 93

[4] Glanzer and Sweet, The Sound of Leadership. p. 52.

[5] Nouwen, Henri. Discernement: Reading the Signs of Daily Life. p. 6.

[6] Glanzer, Perry, The Christian Scholar’s Review.

[7] Glanzer, Perry.  The Christian Scholar’s Review.

[8] P. 93

[9] p.96

[10] Camacho, Mining for Gold.

[11] Friedman, A Failure of Nerve.

[12] Jo Nelson. Oxford University.

Pam Lau

Pamela Havey Lau brings more than 25 years of experience in speaking, teaching, writing and mediating. She has led a variety of groups, both small and large, in seminars, trainings, conferences and teachings. Pam’s passion is to see each person communicate with their most authentic voice with a transparent faith in Jesus Christ. With more than 10, 000 hours of writing, researching, and teaching the heart and soul of Pam’s calling comes from decades of walking alongside those who have experienced healing through pain and peace through conflict. As a professor and author, Pam deeply understands the role of mentoring and building bridges from one generation to another. She has developed a wisdom in how to connect leaders with their teams. Her skill in facilitating conversations extends across differences in families, businesses, schools, universities, and nonprofits. Pam specializes in simplifying complex issues and as a business owner, has helped numerous CEOs and leaders communicate effectively. She is the author of Soul Strength (Random House) and A Friend in Me (David C. Cook) and is a frequent contributor to online and print publications. You can hear Pam’s podcast on Real Life with Pamela Lau on itunes. Currently, Pam is a mediator for families, churches, and nonprofits. You can contact Pam through her website: PamelaLau.com. Brad and Pam live in Newberg, Oregon; they have three adult daughters and one son-in-law. One small, vocal dog, Cali lives in the family home where she tries to be the boss! As a family they enjoy worshiping God, tennis, good food and spending time with family and friends.

21 responses to “Discerning the Many Voices of Leadership”

I’m interested in this upcoming generation’s need to “find joy.” In my experience of Tik Tok (which is probably very different than the experience and 18 year old has of the app), it is very joyful. Of course, I mostly watch funny dog videos and people petting cows, so, yeah, joyful. Also, I am old.

I am wondering though if Dr. Perry Glazner has anything to say to our generation or those before us about how we might be at fault for creating a joyless environment for this new generation. I’m thinking about climate change, cost of living/housing, the impossibility of finding careers that will last them through their working lives and include a pension, AI, etc. I’ve heard, though I do not have the statistic to back it up, that for the first time we are raising a generation that will not fare better than their parents. In your post, I heard you say that Glazner says they should, “find joy” and sure, they have some responsibility to do so, but, dang, it must be hard to do so when the very environment created by those before them makes life for them so complicated.

I love what you then said about how “they need relationships with leaders who can get close enough to them to hear the masterpieces God created out of our experiences.” I am grateful for leaders like you who have a heart for this next generation, who will get close to them to lift them up and point out God’s call in their lives. These relationships are what will bring hope and joy to our world. Grateful for your calling and for you.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Kally~
      Eight years ago, when I was first entering this conversation and research, I found Christian Smith’s work incredibly insightful: Lost In Transition. He does blame those who have gone before and it’s sobering, sobering, sobering. In part, It’s why I wrote the post I did this week. What sort of leaders would we be if we didn’t stop what we were doing, turn around and run like mad toward those who we’ve set on fire?! Did we not think our children, students and young professionals weren’t listening to us critique the Church and complain about our lives? One of the reasons I believe God led me into ministry at such a young age is because I just could not jump on the bandwagon of “young Christian mothers.” I am ashamed to write about how I responded to the groups of women who created clicks and in-groups all in the Name of Christ. By God’s grace, I was led another way and through another path. On another note, here’s another piece by Perry Glanzer that is insightful:

Are Hedonism and Hopelessness Overtaking Christian Students’ Ambivalence about Children?

Hmmm Can we not post links here?

Pam, I found your post to be very helpful and clarifying in regards to my NPO…

Foursquare Lead Pastors are increasingly leaving the ministry, and it may be due to a combination of diminishing joy, loneliness, fatigue and waning soul care.

I foundational aspect to my NPO, and to much of the reading of I have been doing this last year is around the topics of joylessness, human flourishing, and burnout.

I am thrilled to dig deeper into a few of your referenced resources. Thank you!

• mm Pam Lau says:

John,
      How are our NPO’s similar and different? I am looking at how the lack of support for leaders today makes people not want to lead tomorrow.
      I just had my first design workshop and will have my second one next week. It’s telling what I am hearing from my stakeholders thus far. I find Christian Smith’s research helpful along with Perry Glanzer’s as I shared. If I had my preferences, I would collect data for my NPO.

P.S. do you have link to the Christian Scholar’s Review article that you could forward to me? Appreciate it!

Pam, I concur with your comments about the topic of leadership. You found “more than 30,000 results” in your search on Amazon. I agree — this is indeed “overwhelming.” Indeed “advice on leading seems to have no limits.” This leads me to a question I pondered from our syntopical group call on Monday. You made an important statement around how many training options the next generation has at their disposal (I don’t remember your exact wording). There are so many — too many? — training options, learning cohorts, etc. I’ve been thinking about that since Monday. What do you believe is a way forward in this conversation? What might be a helpful alternative or suggestion… in the spirit of how you found Glanzer’s book to be “insightful, refreshing and self-reflective all at once?” What are you finding to be an alternative to the innumerable training cohorts so popular right now in different circles of leadership? What are other leaders saying about this?

• mm Pam Lau says:

Travis, this question deserves much more thought than what I’m about to say. In fact, I think we should schedule a Zoom with our group to go back to why it matters. David Brooks just published his book called, How to know a Person.” I heard him speak last year at Westmont College where he gave three lectures on how poor the state of our relationships have become. Our young people do not know how to ask questions that further deeper attachment. They are inundated with trainings on how to do something or the trainings are focused on emotional safety. But rare is the opportunity for education. That’s why Christian higher education is so pivotal. I am barely scratching the surface. Such a good question.

To carry on with Glanzer’s sound metaphor, it seems like intergenerational relationships create the harmony that makes our leadership and our Chrisitan communities beautiful (not to mention more effective). Kara Powell of the Fuller Youth Institute even says that intergenerational church involvement is one of the most significant factors in young people keeping their faith as they become adults. I can certainly think of mentors and leaders who made a huge difference in my life, both as a younger person and currently. Thanks, Pam, for this reminder of the importance of relationships.

• mm Pam Lau says:

Kim, like you said, inter generational relationships are life giving. I don’t know where I’d be without them. Thanks for the reminder of Kara Powell’s work! I need to read her books.

I enjoyed your post, Pam. Your quote: …”what truly awakens joy– in our purpose, companionship, beauty, goodness noting that to receive joy from God you have to realize what it is” especially struck a cord. It seems that if “purpose, companionship, beauty and goodness” awaken joy, we may need to change how we talk about successful leaders. Do you think there could be new metrics to use when we talk about “model leadership?”

• mm Pam Lau says:

Jen, I think that’s the problem. How can we measure goodness and beauty?

• Jennifer Vernam says:

My first thought is going back to the Fruits of the Spirit… which then makes me realize that in order to really gauge success, we have to have people around us with whom we can be transparent and vulnerable. Questions like: “How well am I managing my patience?” are qualitative, and need to be answered in community.

Yes?

• mm Pam Lau says:

I’ve been thinking about your response, Jen, on the Fruits of the Spirit. We need more of that, boatloads more. And I like how you say we need another witness to the fruit-when it’s there and when it’s not.

I am told we will be reading Rare Leadership next semster, but my wife Trudy is reading it now via Focus on the Family. RARE stands for
    RARE (leadership)=
    R- Remain Relational (belonging)
    A – Act like yourself (identity)
    R- Return to Joy (being glad to be together)
    E- Endure hardships well (using hard times to bring us closer)

Rare Leadership, Marcus Warner and E. James Wilder.

You wrote, “Throughout this past year’s readings, I’ve discerned that Joy comes from meaningful relationships, coaching[10], thinking, planning and self-reflection, self-differentiation.”

This year has been an epic fail on the leadership front for me in Hungary. Toxic leadership (that was used to describe me), people quitting, burnt bridges…the list goes on.

Ahh, the return to joy. I yearn for those days. And I think I want to be more intentional is the relationships to come in Ukraine.

Thanks for the “joyful” reminder.

8. mm Dinka Utomo says:

Hi Pam!

Thank you for your post. It is so insightful!

I like your idea of how one leader generation may help another leader generation, therefore the regeneration process will run smoothly.

I’m just wondering, based on Glanzer’s thought, how to bridge the gap between generations regarding leadership building. And in your opinion, what is the biggest obstacle might appear along the process?

• mm Pam Lau says:

Dinka-
      As I have been thinking about your question, I’m struck by how vastly different the subcultures are among the generations. Might the greatest obstacle be a lack of humility and willingness to understand a group or a person who does not experience the world as you do?
      Our reactions and our judgments come across quickly. I’m learning as Job did to, “Submit to God and be at peace with Him. In that way, prosperity will come.”
      I have another story to tell you. Maybe on Zoom?

• mm Pam Lau says:

One other thought, Dinka. Might the greatest barrier to generational leadership relationships be that we don’t desire the next gen to surpass us? We desire to remain the best.

Finding JOY! What a concept to embrace in leadership. I had a fellow student give me 2 bracelets that I believe were hers, but she shared them with me as a gift to help me get through a rocky storm in my Leadership. There is a word on each of them. The first one says choose, the second is unshakeable joy. As I go through this Leadership learning and thinking about unshakable joy it leaves me with more questions. I am working on what unshakeable means when as a naturally joyful person I am struggling to find joy! It’s needing to tap deeper into what Joy means for me and to realize I have to choose it! Thanks for choosing to highlight Joy in Glanzers work! What brings you deep joy Pam?