Dipped in the Watery Grave

“Baptism is the dramatic or episodic representation of the act or ritual of initiation-or, at least, stands midway between the entirely “unconscious” or procedural forms of initiation and their semantically abstracted symbolic equivalents. Baptism is the spiritual birth(rebirth) as opposed to birth of the flesh.”[1]

I preached last month on Renewal, and as I was preparing my sermon, I found myself reflecting on my own renewal journey. I was also reminded of this journey when a picture of my 2020 Baptism appeared on my TimeHop memory this past week.

I was sprinkled as a child. I have shared parts of my spiritual journey in previous posts, I will share a part of it for context. I was raised in the Catholic Church. We attended Catholic School because there were few options for private school for Black Children in the 60’s and 70’s in Nashville, Tennessee. The families that attended the school supported the Parish. It was the only way to ensure that the Diocese would keep the school open. So, the majority of us (the students) participated in the Sacraments. I have a very faint memory of my Catholic Baptism, but I do remember being very excited that I was participating in the other two Sacraments with my friends. We were systematically working through a checklist in our minds; things to complete before 8th grade Graduation.

☒ Baptism

☒ Confirmation

☒ First Communion

☒ May Day Procession

☒8th Grade Graduation

These were the milestones that marked the completion of a “good” Catholic Education and Baptism was the first necessary step in the process. It would be many years later that I understood the significance of Baptism and I was two months shy of my 50th birthday when I choose to be Baptized (fully emerged) by my dear friend, Corey Waters (pictured above). I thought and prayed a great deal before deciding to do it. It was the next step for me. I was very clear that God was calling me to ministry work and very clear that I wanted to totally submit and allow God to lead. Baptism was a renewal, a spiritual rebirth that I fully embraced.

Ritual or Rebirth

Maps of Meaning explores myths, rituals, Ideologies, symbols, and images. I was most interested in Chapter 3. Jordan Peterson discusses Initiatory Death. It was a new term for me before and I was captivated by the explanation that he provides. Peterson says, “Initiatory death signifies the end at once of childhood, of ignorance, and of the profane condition…”[2] It is the closing of a period of unawareness, the letting go of the old. This process is both frightening and beautiful. The ability to let go of the old, I believe, is best understood after we experienced some life events. The concept of death and rebirth is difficult to fully understand as a child. As Peterson states, “Initiatory death is indispensable for the beginning of spiritual life. Its function must be understood in relation to what it prepares: birth to a higher mode of being.” [3] I am not making the argument that Baptism should be saved for adulthood. That decision is deeply personal. I appreciate the way the Peterson offers more explanation and insight on Baptism.

Beliefs

It is important to highlight what Peterson shares on Ideology. As we are in the midst of a very intense political season, ideologies and beliefs are being shared on every media outlet and social media platform. I am often disappointed by what is shared, I am also surprised quite often. Peterson shares, “Ideologies may be regarded as incomplete myths- as partial stories, whose compelling nature is a consequence of the appropriation of mythological ideas. [4] I believe that we are in a season where truth does not seem to matter, and opinions are really skewed versions of the actual truth. It is a scary period. And people are scary. Peterson gives some insight on how ideologies can be dangerous. “Ideologies are powerful and dangerous. Their power stems from their incomplete but effective appropriation of mythological ideas. There danger stems from their attractiveness, in combination with their incompleteness. Ideologies tell only part of the story, but tell that part as if it we complete.” [5] I find myself looking for rules to keep me safe in this political season. I decided to share a few with you.

☒ Don’t engage in political debates in a public setting or forum.

☒ Declare your Social Media Platforms a “Politic Free” zone.

☒ Establish ground rules with Friends that share different beliefs.

☒Proceed with kindness.

☒ Pray

I pray that the ideologies (political and/or religious) in this season, lead to discussions and not divisions. Stay safe, Loved Ones and lead with love and kindness.

[1] Jordan B. Peterson, Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief (London, England: Routledge, 1999),225.

Jonita Fair-Payton

4 responses to “Dipped in the Watery Grave”

Hi Jonita,
    I got baptized at Age 40. I too was raised catholic.
    You wrote, “I believe that we are in a season where truth does not seem to matter, and opinions are really skewed versions of the actual truth. It is a scary period. And people are scary.”

For some reason, Judges 21:25, comes to mind… “In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes.”

Sigh…those were turbulent time and I feel they are upon us again.

Shalom.

2. mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

I have the same fear, Russell.

I did not know that you were raised Catholic. Did you participate in the Catholic Sacraments? What led you to your Baptism at 40?

Hi Jonita,
    I appreciate your thoughts on Initiatory Death, “It is the closing of a period of unawareness, the letting go of the old. This process is both frightening and beautiful. The ability to let go of the old, I believe, is best understood after we experienced some life events.” I need to read Chapter 3 a little more closely, so my question might not make sense (I don’t have Peterson’s book with me). Are there experiences other than baptism that would also be considered an “initiatory death”? Thank you for sharing your baptism story and the photo!!

4. mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

Hi Jenny,

That’s a very good question. It is hard for me to think of anything that fits as well as Baptism. Certainly, there are life events that come close. For example, letting go of a life of addition and beginning a life free of addition can be seen as a renewal and perhaps programs that have prescribed steps to this renewal can be viewed as an initiatory process. I think loosely we can view some the sorority and fraternity processes this way. Yet these are not great examples.