Digging Fewer but Deeper Wells

While wading through this week’s material on reading more intelligently, thinking more critically, and taking smarter notes, I was reminded of the idea, It’s better to dig a few deep wells, than hundreds of shallow ones. [1] I’ve run across a few versions of this saying over the years from spiritual leaders and yogi’s, and it always reminds me of the value of taking the time and effort to truly understand a text, tradition, argument, experience, or perspective that another person or community holds. This obviously  requires much more than a quick, superficial read or listen and takes work.

One thought I wrestled with while engaging the idea of inspectional reading in Adler’s, How to Read a Book, is the disservice it could do to an author, who naturally wants their readers to enjoy their creation and ingest their countless hours of planning, writing, and editing. Skimming a book can almost feel wrong or like cheating in some ways. However, Adler makes a profound, but very practical point. Time. To read every book on our book cases analytically, while many of us are juggling family, careers, services, hobbies, etc. would take years. [2] Even if reading were our full time jobs it would take months. Personally, I have to keep in mind and better utilize inspectional reading as a valuable skill that lets me get the gists of multiple books while ultimately helping me find what I should dig into that best serves my mission, focus, and season of life.

Sticking with this “digging” analogy, I could see how reading analytically and synoptically feeds into taking smarter notes. The Zettelkasten or smart note taking method seems to rely on us being fully immersed into a subject matter for it to be effective, which means we must know our subject matter enough to take meaningful notes. [3]  Inspectional reading prepares the way for further analyzing a text so we can best choose what we will immerse, or “dig” into in order to make substantial connections, comparisons, and ultimately gather new insights and enlightenment. Looking at my bibliography feels a bit daunting and overwhelming, but letting go of the burden of needing to know everything there is about each book, author, and subject releases some tension. It also feels more doable when I realize the power of doing little things consistently. Ahren’s example of Niklas Luhmann’s ability to write and achieve as much as he did based off consistent note taking (on small note cards) and the impact of writing six notes per day, five days a week is inspiring and a bit relieving.

My ultimate goal and prayer is to go deep enough into my field, without neglecting breadth, and understand enough information that critical questions and ideas organically emerge that bring clarity, relieve tension, and provide solutions for myself and others. [4] Choosing the right ground to dig while also knowing when to take my shovel and move elsewhere is where my prayers will be for everyone throughout this process. Wells are ultimately dug so that the people digging can find something new and refreshing under the surface for themselves and others. God give us all the discernment and guidance to encounter the right people, authors, articles, videos, lectures, ideas, evidence, etc. that will further our God given missions in this chapter of our life and give us the strength and persistence to keep digging.

[1] Iyengar, B. K. S. and Patañjali. Light on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali. New edition. (London: Thorsons, 2002), 52.

[2] Adler, Mortimer Jerome, and Charles Van Doren. How to Read a Book. Rev. and Updated ed. (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1972), 306.

[3] Sonke Ahrens, How to Take Smart Notes, ed. Kathy Drouin-Keith. (Hamburg, Germany: Independently Published, 2022), 45.

[4] Richard Paul and Linda Elder, The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking Concepts and Tools (London, UK: Rowan & Littlefield, 2020), 19.

Adam Harris

I am currently the Associate Pastor at a church called Godwhy in Hendersonville, TN near Nashville. We love questions and love people even more. Our faith community embraces God and education wholeheartedly. I graduated from Oral Roberts University for undergrad and Vanderbilt for my masters. I teach historical critical Biblical studies at my church to help our community through their questions and ultimately deepen their faith. I love research, writing, learning, and teaching. I oversee our staff and leadership development. Before being at Godwhy I worked as a regional sales coach and director for Anytime Fitness. I've been married for over 13 years to my best friend and we have two amazing boys that keep us busy.

16 responses to “Digging Fewer but Deeper Wells”

1. mm Kim Sanford says:

Amen! May God lead us to the sources that will enrich our projects and our thinking! I’m sure we can all agree that we need His help. Thanks for reminding us to focus our hearts on Him.

Like you, Adam, I’ve been wondering about the tension around inspectional reading and how it might do a disservice to the author. But could we assume that a reasonable author would understand that their work isn’t going to serve everybody? In other words, every author thinks about his or her audience. Let’s assume that a work is intended for readers interested in X topic and I’m personally researching Y topic. After inspectional reading I see this divergence and reshelve the book. Isn’t that kind of like saying to the author, “Ok, bless you and go on your way. Go find those interested in X.”

I wrestle with this question on a personal level as my hope is to encourage a shift in parenting approaches. I’ve had to grapple with my own fears and admit that not everyone in my context will be ready for what I want to say. Some are already outright refusing my approach. At first that felt really frightening, but I’m choosing to move forward and work with those parents and pastors who are ready for something new.

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks for being my first comment Kim! I’m really enjoying this process of interaction. I would agree that most people probably understand their content is for a particular audience with certain needs. I do have feelings of guilt or wonder if I’m missing something really important or new that could be helpful, but the reality is that we only have so much time, so inspectional reading is tremendously valuable in finding the right ground to dig. Will I miss some gold or water at times, probably, but I’m ok with that and praying God lead me to the right ground.

I love that you are presenting new approaches to parenting and are coming to terms that some people will naturally disregard it or pushback. I know it will be life for the people who are open to it and looking forward to hearing more about it. Appreciate your pioneer spirit.

2. mm John Fehlen says:

“It’s better to dig a few deep wells, than hundreds of shallow ones.”

It’s incredible how this concept can positively work its way into relationships, conversations, prayer, etc. For example, having a few deep, close friendships has to richer and more fulfilling then a thousand followers/online acquaintances.

This is encouraging yet challenging for a person like myself that leads in large, often scattered contexts. As well as being a reader that enjoys broad and varying topics, yet is very aware of the need to focus while in this graduate program.

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks for the comments John! I like the connection you made to relationships. As a pastor as well, I feel that myself. I’ve been in very lonely seasons while surrounded by and interacting with tons of people. LOVE being around people and socializing but having some deep relationships where we can be known without judgement or performance is so important.

You said…Ahren’s example of Niklas Luhmann’s ability to write and achieve as much as he did based off consistent note taking (on small note cards) and the impact of writing six notes per day, five days a week is inspiring and a bit relieving.
    I think that this is doable. How do we eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Shalom…Russ

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks Russell, that’s it! One bite at a time. I think that practice (whatever it looks like for each one of us) will serve us well in this program.

4. Scott Dickie says:

I think you summarize and explain an important point as it relates to inspectional reading that I was wrestling with in my own blog: intent. If inspectional reading is only employed to get the ‘work’ done as easily and as quickly as possible, I think we are doing a disservice to the author and ourselves. But if inspectional reading serves the primary purpose of helping us prioritize the books that should be read in a deeper way, it has served a necessary and strategic purpose. Like many things in life, you can do the same thing (read inspectionally) for right or wrong reasons depending on the motivation. Does this reflect some of what you were wrestling with in your first few paragraphs?

• Adam Harris says:

You nailed it Scott, like I replied to Kim, there are times while skimming I think, “Ohhh I bet I’m missing some good stuff”, but I know its the most practical thing to do at times, and I’m becoming more comfortable with forsaking some possible gold.

That’s a good point. Intent and prioritizing are key in finding the right ground to get to work and dig. Jenny mentioned “analyzing every rock” and I have those same tendencies when reading and researching.

Thank you for sharing the quote, “It’s better to dig a few deep wells, than hundreds of shallow ones.” It is a fantastic insight for what we are trying to do in this program.

I am digging for what is truly valuable and life sustaining! That narrows it down. I keep getting the image of tossing rocks aside. I don’t need to over-examine every rock. I’ll know gold and fresh water when I see it. I am trusting that what I need will come to me as I keep pressing on. I just need to remember to take breaks, refocus, and keep digging. I will continue to dig until I reach the treasure I seek. Moving forward, I will keep this image in mind for inspiration.

What life sustaining treasures are you hoping to find? What “little things” are you doing that feel powerful to you?

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks Jenny! I’m with you, I can definitely get into the “I want to examine every rock” mindset, because I think they all have something unique and special to offer, but it’s not always practical. I also don’t want to miss something.

To respond to your question. The little things I’m doing (at least pertaining to this program) are reading a bit each day and taking notes as a I read. It’s helping me eat the elephant one bite at a time as Russell pointed out.

I’m hoping to find spiritually nurturing solutions to my NPO, and even more importantly, find fresh and engaging ways to deliver something to people who are experiencing a faith crisis.

6. Kally Elliott says:

I looked at our reading list for this week and immediately thought, “Nope.” What I mean by that “nope” is that I don’t have the time or the mind space to read and digest all of those resources! Like you said, we all have families, jobs, and a life outside of school My life is feeling really full this semester and to be honest, I was feeling a bit panicky, thus your reminders to do “little things consistently” and to “choose the right ground to dig” helped me to take a deep breath and realize, not only are we all in this overwhelm together but it will get done and all will be well!

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks for the comments Kally, I’m with you. It helps to know others feel the same and that those before us felt the same and made it through. I know I can’t do an in-depth analysis on EVERY book or subject I would like to with family calendars, kids, ministry, and trainings but I can with some and the inspectional reading helps find the right areas and books.

7. mm Jonita Fair-Payton says:

I appreciate your perspective, Adam. Skimming through a book has always felt like cheating. I remember in my Undergrad years; Cliff Notes were really popular, but all the REALLY serious Professors discouraged the use of them. They emphasized the importance of reading every word. I often struggled with that. My prayer is that I can also gain a deep understanding of the work and my research and also be able to discern the areas where I can and need to go deeper. For now, I’m to view Inspectional Reading as a tool to assist me as I decipher where to dig deeper. I really enjoyed your post, my friend!

• Adam Harris says:

Thanks Jonita, I’m glad you enjoyed the post! We’re all learning along the way and I’m praying the same especially after submitting my bibliography draft! 🙂

8. mm Jana Dluehosh says:

Adam, thank your for sharing and the quote. I think by the end of this doctorate I will have a million inspirational phrases and will utilize this one myself. I really resonated with the part where you wrote the need to “better utilize inspectional reading as a valuable skill that lets me get the gists of multiple books while ultimately helping me find what I should dig into that best serves my mission, focus, and season of life.” I needed the reminder that this is what I “chose, called, etc” to do and that it is okay to be focused on what best serves me and the work I’m called to do! Banish the secret people pleaser inside me that rear’s it’s ugly head once in a while. Thanks Adam!

9. Adam Harris says:

Thanks for the reply Jana, glad you could add that quote to your arsenal and make sure all one million quotes are filed somewhere, lol, Note taking and filing is where I’m growing the most right now. I appreciate the comments and glad something I said helped you in some way. I’m really enjoying this blog format.