Deep Calls to Deep

Deep Calls to Deep (Psalm 42:7) 

I never planned or expected to be in a doctoral program, let alone a pastor. Growing up as a deaf child my communication skills and writing developed very late in life. I often wondered, if perhaps, my dad might have been embarrassed with having a deaf child with having a degree in English literature. My dad was a great teacher and orator. 

Most of my life, I have relied on my physical strength and athleticism to provide. In commercial construction, I advanced very rapidly because of physical strength and math skills. The company I worked for provided a secretary to communicate with other subcontractors or agencies so I could stay in the field as much as possible. I would consider my writing and technology skills very poor. It is interesting that I can do so well with operating heavy equipment, but I struggle with new computer technology. 

I often wonder if I should continue in the doctoral program. What does a rural pastor of a small church with a large food ministry need with a doctoral degree? What must my teachers and peers really think of me? What I really need is another truck to transport food with and money for diesel. As I ponder these things the Lord corrects me. 

In short, I am learning and in a growing season of my life. Simply put, old ways will not open new doors. I am here to learn, grow, and come into a deeper place spiritually. As I struggle with technology, I grow. As I learn from experts and people who have gone before me I have an opportunity to come into a deeper spiritual place with my Lord and Savior, but also with those I lead and influence. 

I am in the doctoral program at George Fox in obedience to Christ. I am very performance driven and do not like to slow down or production to be impacted. I come from a mindset that you do not slow down the train, in fact you try to help the train go faster and for more passenger cars. 

How do I develop a new mindset? A mindset to take time to listen, research, investigate and not fall back into old ways of making decisions and doing life. In my ministry life, I have relied a great deal on the spiritual gift of discernment, and not developed critical thinking skills.

I now have the choice, to rest in the shallows of comfort, or to journey out into the deep and unknown, to grow. In this path into the unknown, I will change and be forged into the leader that Christ is asking me to become. Do I have the reading, writing, and communication skills needed as a doctoral student? Nope! In my obedience to Christ, I am growing and learning at a fast pace. I am thankful for the example of grace that the team at George Fox has shown me. 

Greg McMullen

Pastor Greg resides in Lake Stevens WA and pastors a small rural church in the Machias area . The Well Church has a large food ministry in which many different cultures come each week to gather food and counsel. The Church has a small school that is bearing good fruit. Pastor Greg has a large family of 10 children and enjoys fishing and hiking.

3 responses to “Deep Calls to Deep”

Greg, Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and some of your story in your post. I am so glad you are in this program and that I get to journey and learn with and from you. I appreciate your honest description of wondering sometimes if you “should continue in the doctoral program.” I wonder the same thing! I bet we’re not alone. Hoping we can all continue encouraging each other and daring to be transparent, so that God can teach and guide us in the most meaningful ways. Looking forward to the learning and growth ahead!

Thank you for sharing Greg. I love what you said, “I am in the doctoral program at George Fox in obedience to Christ.” Obedience to Christ is what really matters. I have often heard that He does not ask us about our ability but our availability. When we say, “Yes” to God, He provides us with what we need to succeed. I have seen this over and over again in my own life and I have no doubt that God will honor your obedience in this program.

On a side note, I have seen your posts on Facebook about your food ministry and I am so inspired by the work God is doing through you.

3. mm Shonell Dillon says:

What God has ordained no man can stop. God can use anyone and especially a willing person. Stay strong and stay encouraged we will make it with God. Thanks for sharing.