Creative Kleptomania

Okay. . . confession time everyone. When you read the title, Steal Like an Artist, did the word “steal” entice you to read more?  Or for a quick minute did you wonder if you were being led on a path to breaking a commandment? Confession, I wanted to read more. The book convinced me that being a creative kleptomaniac isn’t so bad after all. . . well, at least the kind of theft that honors and credits the artist for the transformed remix of their brilliance.   Other features of the book that drew me in were the cover, font, length, black/white contrast, pictures and all of the creative features that the book contained.  Author Austin Kleon included ten principles that give readers tips for engaging their creative artistic side.  Readers may experience feelings of liberation as they consider tips like “the genealogy of ideas” or “imitation is not flattery.”  Here are a few of my favorites in Kleon’s top ten.

#1 – The Genealogy of Ideas

Every new idea is just a mashup or a remix of one or more previous ideas. [1]  In Biblical words, “What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.” (Ecclesiastes 1:9) [2]  In a TED talk, Austin Kleon shares about the genealogy of ideas as he talks about the creation of his collection of poems in his book Newspaper Blackout. [3] (He also shares about the process when we refers to tip #4 Use Your Hands Again). Kleon took a marker and started blacking out words that popped out to him.  Then he started connecting those words into phrases and funny sayings. In the talk, Kleon connected his technique to the British artist, Tom Philips, who left words floating in pieces of art.  I learned that Tom Philipps’ 40 year project is called “The Humument”. [4]  In the talk, Kleon goes on to show the genealogy of ideas behind this blackout technique, tracing it back to the 1760s to a neighbor of Benjamin Franklin, named Caleb Whitford.  Nothing is completely original. Art is influenced by the art that came before it.  Tracking the inspiration of generations of artists is fascinating to me.  I can’t help but ponder the delight the Creator of the Universe must have in the created, made in his own image, who likewise, create.

#2 – Imitation is Not Flattery

Kleon explains imitation as copying, but emulation is when” imitation goes one step further, breaking through into your own thing.”[5]  When I think about this concept of emulation, the idea of going a step further to surpass a person or achievement, I think about engaging in a process of apprenticeship.  To emulate a person, I study them.  I spend time learning alongside them.  I think back to my previous blog post on the book Leadersmithing by Eve Poole. . . “As I study the life of Jesus, I see so much of his leadership style that I desire to see developed in me.  Jesus was a “come alongside of” kind of leader.  We see this in the way he led the disciples and “leader-smithed” them.  He ate with them, went fishing with them, walked with them, healed them, cried with them, prayed with them. . . He did life WITH them. The disciples apprenticed at the feet of the master.  Transformation happens as we apprentice with Jesus and emulate Jesus.  “Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma”. (Ephesians 5:1-2). 

#3 – Step Away from the Screen

I find this tip to be the most challenging, yet liberating, in some respects.  Challenging because most of life involves a screen.  Much of life as we know it in 2023 involves checking a screen for the weather, time, research, correspondence, phone calls, recipes, photos, music and more.  When I am creating professionally, it most likely involves a screen. Kleon encourages readers to step away from the screen.  He states, “While I love my computer, I think computers have robbed us of the feeling that we’re actually making things”. [6] The simple presence of digital anything near my analog space can distract me from my original intent or creative idea. While I do not have two desks, as Kleon suggests, I have analog spaces and digital spaces.  My analog space looks more like an outdoor space with my pouch of colorful fountain pens and moleskines without lines or an indoor space with my journal and pens in my leather chair.   The reminder to step away from the screen is freeing.

In conclusion, I found Austin Kleon’s book to be an engaging and enjoyable read that challenged some of my thinking around being original, copying other artists and using tools that are most engaging in the process. 

[1] Austin Kleon, Steal Like an Artist, (New York:  Workman Publishing Company, 2022), 7.

[2] Ecclesiastes 1:9, NIV.

[3]Steal Like An Artist: Austin Kleon at TEDxKC”, accessed March 6, 2022, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oww7oB9rjgw.

[4]  “A Humument”, accessed March 6, 2022, https://www.tomphillips.co.uk/humument.

[5] Austin Kleon, Steal Like an Artist, (New York:  Workman Publishing Company, 2022), 38.

Cathy Glei

Cathy Glei brings more than 25 years of experience in teaching, leading and coaching. She currently is an Instructional Coach and loves to support individuals in discovering who God has made them to be, both professionally and personally. She has led a variety of professional development opportunities, trainings and workshops both in the fields of education and ministry. Cathy desires to support individuals in discovering the Creator's design and image within. Cathy and her husband, Steve, live in Michigan with their seven year old Springer, Otis. They have three adult daughters and two son-in-laws. Together, they enjoy the company of friends (both old and new) in their home, as well as cycling, camping, backpacking and hiking. They can be found hiking and enjoying the outdoors with Otis right alongside them.

4 responses to “Creative Kleptomania”

1. mm John Fehlen says:

On a recent trip to Florence, Italy we went to the Accademia Gallery to see the famed David statue by Michelangelo. I honestly didn’t have any expectations – frankly, I wondered if it was over-hyped and not worth the price of admission.

Umm…I was seriously wrong.

It was breathtaking. Absolutely breathtaking.

What I thought would be a 5 minute glance and Instagram photo op became an hour plus of deep admiration and wonder. Now, I’m not bagging on others, BUT, it was shocking to see how many folks walked in, turned around and took a selfie with David in all his naked glory, then headed off to another exhibit. Shocking. That was compounded by all the folks that saw Florence through the lens of their iPhone. Now, I’m not a Luddite anti-technology person, not at all. However, there are some things, especially art, that needs to be, well…beheld.

That’s what’s so inspiring about Kleon’s two spaces: analog and digital.

Ok, enough of my 51 year old rant. I’m sounding like my dad.

But am I right?

• Cathy Glei says:

The ability to create, an ability that God placed in each individual, is mind blowing. I value Kleon’s admonition to have the two spaces. I am not a luddite either, however there are some things in life that can be experienced without technology. I believe that there is beauty in simple.

Cathy, I am in deep agreement (and a bit of shame) about the ‘get away from your screen’ theme you point out. I’ve been realizing lately the correlation between the lessening of my creativity and the increase of “screen time”. It’s a challenge for me to consider and adjust.

On another note, I didn’t see this blog on the DLGP02 feed so wondered if you’d missed posting… clicked on your name and found it. You may want to check with someone on why it didn’t show up? In fact, I just checked and the last post that shows up on the feed was the “Leadersmithing” one. You are a great writer, I’d hate for everyone to miss your wisdom because of a technical issue that goes unaddressed!

3. Cathy Glei says:

Tim,
    Thank you for letting me know. A few other people mentioned that to me too. I have reached out to get some tech help. Thank you for letting me know. See you later today!