Creating Critical Societies is a Protracted Process.

Is it possible that I have been making sub-optimal decisions that are egocentric and sociocentric, even the decision to take this doctorate and I should go back to the drawing board again? I’m convinced that I made a wise decision to add to my skills through this doctorate which, confirms that I have some valuable decision making skills that I’m adding to, through this program. As I read this pamphlet sized book I realized how different the decisions I could have made by just having a copy of Elder’s book, Miniature guide to Critical Thinking Concepts &Tools. This is from the assumption of Elder and Paul of our natural inclination is egocentrism and sociocentrism[i] in communication and problem solving which, limits us from rational decision making.

I have always considered decision making as a competence of leadership and have thus valued quick and ‘timely’ decision making as a sign of good leadership. It is now clear that there’s a big difference between a quick decision and a well thought out decision. By routinely applying intellectual standards to the elements of reasoning, we improve our intellectual traits[ii] which helps us make better decisions by improving our critical thinking abilities. It is my contention that there are alternative ways by which we can still make great decisions. There is a place for intuition, inspiration and reference to empirical evidence which are alternative ways that you can arrive at a good decision but there is a lot to learn from critical thinking. There are many times that I have made decisions based on my gut feeling at that point in time which were great decisions but I have to admit that there are many limitations that critical thinking helps to overcome. As we rely on God, it should not be lost on us that we live by Faith and God leads us and communicates to us His Holy spirit through inspiration, we have to wait on God in many critical decisions and rely on His word in making decisions. It seems to me that when we are led by the Holy Spirit, our decisions and actions are likely to be more or less like critical thinking. So many of the teachings of Jesus leads to critical thinking in seeking the best for every situation in selflessness. As His children, He admonishes us: “….and Lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways, acknowledge Him and He shall directs thy paths.”[iii] As Christians, we have to be aware that as much as we can make great decisions by critical thinking, we have to be sensitive to the Spirit of God’s leading and to what the Word of God has to say in every situation.

As I reflect on book learning How to study by Rowntree, I realize how the Critical thinking concepts and tools are very handy in studying a book and learning. The elements of thoughts as outlined by Elder in the template for analyzing the logic of an article[iv], would combine well with the review aspect of the SQ3R methodology of studying a book[v]. I am now in a much better position to study a book and learn but I always want to test everything with the truth of God’s word. Its easy to assume that by reading Elders books makes a critical thinker and automatically confers on me those abilities but I have to continually practice applying the intellectual standards to the identified elements of reasoning. I compare it with the need to continually study the word of God to grow in the knowledge of God and in His grace to be a better Christian. It is this routine use of these standards that I will eventually develop the intellectual traits that will make me a critical thinker. It is indeed a protracted process that will take time, requiring patience, consistency and persistence in the discipline of practice, and its worthy to do so. Quick and ‘timely’ decisions that have become like an adage to me, has been put to question and I will seek to develop my critical thinking skills. As Durant, Will said, “these virtues are formed in man by his doing the actions; we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act but a habit”. I will however remain ever more sensitive to the Leading of God by His holy Spirit and rely His Word for I see many similarities between what the Word of God teaches and critical thinking in seeking fairness, equity, honesty and integrity in dealing with issues.

[i] Elder, Linda & Paul, Richard (2014). Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking Concepts & Tools (Thinkers Guide Library). Foundation for critical thinking, Dillon Beach, USA.

[ii] Ibid….pg 18.

[iii] Proverbs 3:5-6.

[iv] Elder, Linda & Paul, Richard (2014). Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking Concepts & Tools (Thinkers Guide Library). Foundation for critical thinking, Dillon Beach, USA. Pg 10

[v] Rowntree, Derek (2015). Learn How to Study: Developing The study Skills and approaches to learn that will help succeed in university. Beekman Books Inc, New York, USA.

Wallace Kamau

Wallace is a believer in Christ, Married to Mary Kamau (Founder and Executive Director of Missions of Hope International) and father to 3 Wonderful children, Imani Kamau (Graduate student at London School of Economics, UK), Victory Kamau (Undergraduate student at Portland state University, Oregon, USA) and David Kamau ( Grade student at Rosslyn Academy). Founder and Director, Missions of Hope International (www.mohiafrica.org), CPA, BAchelor of Commerce (Accounting) from University of Nairobi, Masters of Arts (Leadership) from Pan African Christian University.

8 responses to “Creating Critical Societies is a Protracted Process.”

Wallace, I enjoyed your post and the integration of the Spiritual aspect of thinking. Philippians 2:5-8 tells us to have the mind of Christ, which is primarily talking about obedience, but I think we can apply it to critical thinking as well. I agree that we have to be led by the Spirit, this is actually what I think I’m focusing on in this program, so my question to you would be, do you think we also continually live with the Holy Spirit to process things critically?

What I mean is sometimes what I’m finding is that we put the Holy Spirit out there (as in something we have to wait to come to us) but The Holy Spirit has been sent to us (lives in us) and we delay doing the right things because we are waiting for God when God has already given us the ability (or access) to Godself via the Holy Spirit. Hope this makes sense and thanks for the response in advance.

2. Thank you Mario for highlighting the mind of Christ which is exemplified by his humility, not counting His claim to deity as anything but humbling Himself even to die on the cross for our salvation.
    To answer your question, I affirm your assertion that we live with the Holy Spirit or rather The Holy Spirit dwells in us and helps to process things critically and arrive at the best solutions or decisions as lead by the Spirit. To put it in another way, the egocentric and sociocentric way of processing things is the the natural way of the Fresh while the liberated mind that processes things as lead by the Holy Spirit in ways similar to critical thinking. The way you have it right is true and resonates with the words of prophet samuel to saul when he anointed him in I Samuel 10:7; “And let it be , when theses signs are come to thee, that though do as occassion serve thee; for God is with thee.” In this scripture, Samuel is telling Saul to confidently make decisions and act as occassion serves him because he will be lead of the Spirit of God. I agree with you in that understanding but also feel that there are occassions when you want to be sure of God’s leading like Moses in exodus 33:12- 16, he insists on God’s presence going with them in a substantive way.

Wallace, I hope you do not question your decision to work on your doctorate in this program. You have already added so much to the knowledge base of this group. I thank you for pointing out that there are many times God would have us operate outside of critical thinking. The Holy Spirit moves us in ways that do not always make sense. However, I think of how Paul continually made very thought out and logical arguments using the language of the scholars of his day. The important thing, as you point out, is that we will use both the Holy Spirit and critical thinking in making decisions.

• Thank you Mary, Far from any regrets for pursuing this doctorate, I am so glad am here and part of this cohort. I was just being outright ridiculous in bringing home the feeling I got about making decisions without critical thinking, I felt like just going back on all my decisions to ascertain that I made them right. I can confirm that I made that decision to take that doctorate, knowing that God is with me in this journey and that I need the doctorate and all it has to offer in this journey of faith and service to God.

4. Your Durant quote “these virtues are formed in man by his doing the actions; we are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act but a habit” is referring to critical thinking, I’m assuming. If so, critical thinking, just like any habit must be practiced like we practice a sport or a musical instrument in order to be better at it.

JP Moreland, one of our distinguished professors at Biola University loves to teach from Rom. 12. He says that our bodies contain habits. So the simple question he asks is “how do we form habits?” The implication is that if we go through a regiment of identifying bad habits and replacing them with good ones, then we’ll begin to make sense of what the apostle Paul, aided by the Holy Spirit, meant when he wrote “holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.”

Exercise, discipline and practice to the body is the same to the mind, according to Moreland. The old saying “practice makes perfect” indeed applies to the mind as well.

Wallace,
    Thanks so much for reminding us that even with excellent developed and practiced Critical Thinking skills, we still desperately need the Holy Spirit to lead us and guide us when we have come up to the limits of our comprehension and understanding. While I am a total fan of growing and practicing Critical Thinking skills, I must never forget that I serve at his good pleasure and for his purpose, not mine. Within a posture of intellectual humility, all of these things can work together to further the kingdom. Thanks again for your wise and challenging thoughts. Blessings, H

Wallace, I appreciate your connection of critical thinking with decision making. It caused me to reflect on critical thinking as a process of gaining wisdom. Critical thinking certainly is not antithetical to the leadership of the Holy Spirit rather critical thinking can actually be a tool the Holy Spirit uses to lead us to truth. Thank you!