Cool or Christian?

Christianity and Christian values are under attack. Seeking to address this disturbing development, Carl Trueman begins his landmark book, The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self by asking how has the

current highly individualistic, iconoclastic, sexually obsessed, and materialistic mindset come to triumph in the West? Or, to put the question in a more pressing and specific fashion … why does the sentence ““I am a woman trapped in a man’s body” make sense not simply to those who have sat in poststructuralist and queer-theory seminars but to my neighbors, to people I pass on the street, to coworkers who have no particular political ax to grind and who are blissfully unaware of the rebartive jargon and arcane concepts of Michael Foucault and of the epigones and incomprehensible imitators? [1]

In other words, secular humanism is effectively eroding Biblical values and worldview from popular culture. Although Trueman’s focus is on the West, the painful reality is that this decline of values has become a global phenomenon.

Trueman comments further on this unbiblical identity and suggests that it is rooted in various secular ideas, especially that of Freud. He notes that:

most people have not read Freud, but many find appealing the message [initiated by Freud and] preached in myriad movies and soap operas that life is about finding individual sexual satisfaction and that one’s sexual appetite’s lie at the very center of who one actually is[2]

Others have agreed with Trueman’s view. For example Benton notes that “before Freud, sex was for procreation and pleasure (Proverbs 5:19). Now it’s who we really are.[3]” The difference between the Biblical position and popular opinion brings to mind God’s declaration to Israel in the days of Isaiah, “my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways.[4]” So, it turns out, that divergence from biblical thinking is not unique to this generation. Reflecting on this difference, Solzhenitsyn concludes it is rooted in the unfortunate reality that men have forgotten God.[5] Unfortunately, material wealth, intended to be a blessing, has become one of the major reasons why men forget God[6]. Analyzing commodification and consumerism, Clark remarks that “we [followers of Jesus] will only know who we really are by re-ordering” our lives to conform to the “life, death and resurrection of Jesus[7].” In other words, our identity can become so compromised by consumerism that we lose consciousness of our essence, responsibilities, position, privileges and authority. The parable of the prodigal son highlights this situation with the younger son, who being obsessed with the love of money, claimed his inheritance prematurely, disconnecting from family, living recklessly and reflecting no resemblance of people from the stable and respectable family he came from.

In addition to uncovering problems Trueman also proposes solutions. According to him:

The church should reflect long and hard on the connection between aesthetics and her core beliefs and practices. I noted above that one of the hallmarks of ethical discussion today is its dependence on personal narratives. … [which are] incontrovertible precisely because they are personal testimonies—the highest form of authority in an age of expressive individualism. … The debate on LGBTQ+ issues within the church must be decided on the basis of moral principles, not the attractiveness and appeal of the narratives involved. … That is not to say that pastoral strategies aimed at individuals should not be compassionate, but what is and what is not compassionate must always rest on deeper, transcendent principles[8]

Bebbington, Solzhenitsyn and other evangelical leaders would warn us to consider our ways and return to an irrefutable love for God and a fervent promotion of Biblical values including loving our neighbors in ways that unashamedly but humbly and compassionately align with scripture. In the words of the apostle John, “you have abandoned your first love. Therefore, keep in mind how far you have fallen. Repent and perform the deeds you did at first[9].” So the question is whether we will choose to be correct, or politically correct.

[1] Trueman, Carl R. The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self: Cultural Amnesia, Expressive Individualism, and the Road to the Sexual Revolution.  (Wheaton: Illinois, Crossway, 2020), 36.

[2] Trueman, 164

[3] Benton, John. Summary of Carl Trueman’s The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self. https://www.9marks.org/article/summary-of-carl-truemans-the-rise-and-triumph-of-the-modern-self-cultural-amnesia-expressive-individualism-and-the-road-to-sexual-revolution/

[4] Isaiah 55:8

[5] [5] Solzhenitsyn, Aleksandr. Men Have Forgotten God: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s 1983 Templeton Address. (National Review). https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/12/aleksandr-solzhenitsyn-men-have-forgotten-god-speech/#:~:text=The%20Templeton%20Address,why%20all%20this%20has%20happened.%E2%80%9D

[6] Deuteronomy 8:18. 1 Timothy 6:10.

[7] Jason Paul Clark, “Evangelicalism and Capitalism: A Reparative Account and Diagnosis of Pathogeneses in the Relationship” (2018) Faculty Publications – Portland Seminary, 236.

[8] Trueman, 402-403.

[9] Revelation 2:4-5

Henry Gwani

Follower of Jesus, husband, father, community development practitioner and student of leadership working among marginalized communities in South Africa

10 responses to “Cool or Christian?”

Henry: Nice blog post. My favorite part of this book was the time spent describing the historical background that led to where we are today. I didn’t know a lot of this information and I found it helpful. Did you enjoy this aspect of the book? Was it new information to you, like a lot of it was to me?

• mm Henry Gwani says:

Troy: I also think the historical background is extremely helpful because that way we can trace where we missed the mark and then get back into alignment. In terms of the history, I see significant overlap with the work of Bebbington, especially his emphasis on Biblicism, and Solzhenitsyn. So yes, in some ways the information was new, but in other ways, it seems like history repeating itself. As the scriptures would say, “there’s nothing new under the sun.”

Henry, I appreciate the way you connected other authors to the reading for this week. Do you think that America’s influence has led to a global phenomenon about sexuality or do you see it changing organically within the world’s cultures separately?

• mm Henry Gwani says:

Roy, I think the global phenomenon has not been catalyzed by America’s influence as there was sexual immorality in Sodom, Corinth, Ephesus, etc, long before America came on the scene. But I think we can say it has been encouraged by it. Being the superpower of the world automatically places America in a position of influence – a lot of it positive (foreign missions, democracy, education, diversity, etc), but unfortunately some of it negative. I also think that various nations are developing the confidence needed to say this practice is not in line with their cultures therefore they reject it. I believe at least one African country has openly taken a stand in this regard. But I think in all cases, the decisiveness may be traced back a praying local church, indicating the critical role of the church in providing leadership in contemporary moral regeneration.

Nice post, Henry. I hear the theme of identity in your reflections. I would agree as that was something I picked up on too. In what ways do you see that our identity has been marred and how do you see we can get it back? Of course, via the Holy Spirit, but what more can the Church do to encourage, affirm, and build up our identity in Christ?

• mm Henry Gwani says:

Eric, I agree that identity is crucial to morality and think one ways the identity of the developing nations has been marred is through the impact of poverty. I can’t speak for western nations, but my observation in developing nations has been that poverty has a way eating away at a person’s confidence and resulting in an inferiority complex. Unfortunately, beyond identity, poverty could even impact people spiritually, making them question God’s existence and/or love.

In addition to prayer and reliance on the Holy Spirit, I think one way we can foster a more Biblical identity is by Christian leaders, poor and non-poor alike, modelling the value of an identity rooted in Christ by leading lives that reflect what the Lausanne movement has described as “bold humility.” I believe Jesus lived like this, and that made the multitudes feel very free in His presence.

4. mm Nicole Richardson says:

Henry thank you for your heartfelt blog !

As God has revealed more and more to you about ways God calls you to read the Bible from a more open spirit, how does that calling shape your understanding of how to know Biblical truths?

• mm Henry Gwani says:

Nicole, two thoughts come to mind. First, approach the Bible with the thinking that I know nothing yet. I believe this will help me grow in the curiosity needed to learn from the Lord. The second thought is simply prayer. Especially praying the prayer of Ephesians 1:17-23, where Paul talks about asking for revelation. I’m realizing more and more that beyond an intellectual awareness of a Biblical concept, I gain the most when I have a personal revelation of it. I think that’s where the transformation is. I think the Pharisees and Sadducees had an intellectual awareness of the Messiah coming to earth someday, but the shepherds and later, the disciples, had a revelation of the Messiah. So, occasionally I find myself praying for that same spirit of revelation.

5. Elmarie Parker says:

Hi Henry. Thank you so very much for your thoughtful post and engagement with Trueman’s book. I confess it was a challenging read for me as I found his understanding of especially Freud rather limited, especially in historical context.

You note in your reply to Roy that one African country has openly taken a stand to say that sexual expression beyond heterosexuality is not part of its culture. The countries where I serve have taken similar stands. What this results in here is people being arrested, beaten, thrown out of the families, and even killed. When scientific studies indicate that human sexuality is quite a complex reality, I wonder what it means today to say a nation is taking a Christian values stance (or not)? What do you think it looks like, behaviorally, to express Christian values towards someone who identifies as LGBTQ+, especially if one is living in a country where such identities are outlawed (supposedly to uphold Christian values) and so such people are regularly brutally attacked?

6. mm Denise Johnson says:

Henry, I so appreciate your perspective. I can trust that you will bring in a strong reliance on scripture. I love this line, “to consider our ways and return to an irrefutable love for God and a fervent promotion of Biblical values including loving our neighbors in ways that unashamedly but humbly and compassionately align with scripture.” I agree. I think this is how Jesus would engage with everyone. I do struggle with the practical application. Can you highlight some of the ways you have done this?