Comfort in our discomfort

Joseph Campbell’s Hero with a Thousand Faces is a fantastic book; this is an excellent story and a journey that relates to everyone regardless of location or background. It is true what Brian says on PNTV; “This is his classic seminal text that’s influenced people like George Lucas, every aspiring film student because every hero’s story we read about or watch on the big screen is based on the hero with 1000 faces”[1]  Campbell’s quote here sums it all up “The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.” The Hero with a thousand faces is an excellent guide for those ready to leave a life of comfort and face life’s challenges to become better, not bitter, and more resilient as a result of the challenges. While reading, I was reminded of several Bible heroes; it makes sense how some people reduced the Holy Scriptures to another book of Myology instead of the Living Word of God.

Campbell says, “The call to adventure signifies that destiny has summoned the hero.” Everyone has been summoned from different places towards a specific destination. Bringing it home to our journey and course of study, I have no idea when mine comes to a thriving destination or when to celebrate arrival. “You need to go on the quest. Then face demons, you face dragons, you get some mentorship, et cetera, you get initiated, right, separation, initiation, conquest, and then you return. You return transformed, and you return with what Campbell calls the boon”[2] Campbell speaks about three parts to this journey: Initiation or call to adventure, crossing the threshold and separation, and the Return with experience. “This first stage of the mythological journey which we have designated the “call to adventure” signifies that destiny has summoned the Hero and transferred his spiritual center of gravity from within the pale of his society to a zone unknown.”[3]

Our response to the call is the courage to start this education journey and solve some of the most challenging problems in our society. We have taken the trip and are now on our quest, with the blessing of having the Lead Mentor, Project faculty members and peers as great help along this journey. Campbell explains, “The function of mythological symbols is to give you a sense of Aha! Yes, I know what it is; it’s myself” It is a journey we all face as a general cohort to individual students; challenges along the way might affect us differently, but we all face them in one way or another. Talking about facing demons and dragons on this journey, I was reminded of our Bible heroes and their challenges. There is evidence of divine intervention for those who believe God is at work, whether through a mentor or any other kind help. There is comfort in our discomfort as Scriptures promise “Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 1:6).

[1] PNTV: The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell (#423), 2020, accessed October 20, 2022, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et_BHgP3M7E.

[2] PNTV.

[3] Joseph Campbell and David Kudler, The Hero with a Thousand Faces, vol. 30th Anniversary Special Edition, Collected Works of Joseph Campbell ([Place of publication not identified]: Joseph Campbell Foundation, 2020),

Jean de Dieu Ndahiriwe

Jean de Dieu Ndahiriwe is a Clinical Correctional Chaplain and former Child Refugee from War-torn Rwanda. A member of the Maxwell Leadership Certified Team, Jean is passionate about Servant Leadership and looks forward to seeing more leaders that inspire Lasting Peace and Justice for all, especially "the least of these".

13 responses to “Comfort in our discomfort”

Hi Jean de Dieu,

Thank you for your insightful post. Though this week we have engaged with Campbell’s work on the hero’s journey, I did not make the connection that our participation in this doctoral program is our own version of responding to the call to an adventure with various challenges. By God’s grace, we will come to the end of this (the return to life before school) changed because of all that we have learned.

I’m curious, in regards to the work you do as a chaplain in a correctional facility, what are connections you can make in The Hero with a Thousand Faces with those you serve? Is there a call to adventure – an opportunity to overcome challenges – even in the midst of the correctional facility context?

• David,
      I have several inmates whose lives have been transformed inside these walls; they serve Jesus in extraordinary ways, and they inspire hope and courage in challenging places to remain hopeful.
      I always share my first impression as a Correctional Chaplain when a few inmates in their uniforms call and asked, “Chaplain can we pray for you?” The brothers surrounded me and lifted voices to the Lord, praying that the Lord would use me in a special way inside these prison walls. I had never been to prison before and had no idea how things would evolve.
      The guy who led this prayer has been in for decades and is in for a life sentence. I have always appreciated how God shows up in places that seem hopeless yet provide hope and joy. I thought I was here to minister, but I also get ministered daily.

2. Caleb Lu says:

Jean, I’m likewise so thankful for the learning we get to engage in just by being in community with Jason, our PFs, and each other!

I’m curious what Bible heroes/heroines (and their respective adventures) you might more strongly identify with.

3. Hi Caleb,
    Your namesake is the first to come to mind and his fellow spy Joshua. They chose faith in their God instead of the overwhelming giants in the promised land. Likewise, I have reminded myself time and time again that my God is much bigger than any giant, avoiding the grasshopper mentality.

Jean de Dieu,

Great connection on the PF and Lead Mentor as the guides on this adventure in our journey.
    Do you see yourself as a guide to those you serve and how does that make a difference in how you approach your work with them?

5. Hi Chad, Absolutely. It’s a humbling experience sharing my small contribution and trusting the Master Guide multiplies the impact.

6. mm Audrey Robinson says:

Jean,
    Your post was infectious with enthusiasm – it is obvious this book resonated with you.

Was there something the “call to adventure” sparked or confirmed in you in terms of your NPO project? (Aside from the connections with the people in place to help along the way?)

• Audrey,
      Yes the confirmation is real; my call to adventure has been on for a while. The boon for me would be returning to the refugee communities and hopefully educating more children or facilitating constructions and running of a school or two for those disadvantaged child refugees and orphans who long to dream and hope again after the devastation of wars and civil unrest.

Absolutely beautiful writing. You mentioned Campbells quote, “The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.“

I wont ask about present fears, but wonder about a past fear that gave a great reward in return.

8. Good question Alana,
    Moving to Yuma, Arizona, and working as Correctional Chaplain for the first time.

I had never been to AZ, and never knew where Yuma was located in this world, yet 8 months later, I am so thankful for serving inside these prison walls, I see no better place for Chaplaincy.