Colonialism: Grandma Shares Her Wisdom

I was recently imagining a conversation with my grandmother on the topics we have been discussing in our DLGP cohort: wicked problems, the good kill, colonialism. What would Grandma have to contribute?

Born in 1910, my grandma saw a lot of change in her ninety-six years. I lived with her for my first two years of seminary in Pasadena, California. Grandma was always reading and watching the news and able to discuss historical issues and current events. As she got older and lost her eyesight, she said repeatedly, “I don’t know why God keeps me here. The only thing I can do these days is pray.” I learned so much from her. Though her eyes no longer gave her clear sight, her mind, heart, and spirit gave her clear vision.

One thing I noticed is that my grandma would not offer her wisdom unsolicited. I had to ask her about her stories. She was humble and rich with life learnings. She didn’t enter into someone’s space uninvited but was respectful and nurtured relationships that offered growth for everyone, including herself.

In thinking of my grandma, I realized that her approach to teaching and learning provided an insight for which I’d been searching this week as I processed our reading of Nigel Biggar’s book, Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning.

Biggar’s Defense

Biggar, Regius Professor Emeritus of Moral and Pastoral Theology at Oxford University, writes in response to anti-colonialists who he believes are overly critical of British colonialism.[1] He presents colonialism in what he deems fairer terms, a mixed bag of positive, negative, helpful, and harmful acts carried out by people of mixed motivations and intentions. He points out that people from a variety of cultures throughout the world and throughout time have been colonizing other regions and peoples. Biggar defends against what he sees as unfair and misrepresented criticism of British expansion. He writes, “What is at stake is not merely the pedantic truth about yesterday, but the self-perception and self-confidence of the British today, and the way they conduct themselves in the world tomorrow. What is also at stake, therefore, is the very integrity of the United Kingdom and the security of the West. That is why I have written this book.”[2]

Controversial Response

Biggar’s book has sparked controversial responses. His original publisher, Bloomsbury, upon reading his manuscript decided against publishing it and canceled his contract. HarperCollins published it two years later.[3] Reviewers also have differing views on the book. Says one reviewer, Biggar “is not wrong to insist that empire rested on more than force. But in seeking to restore pride in empire he seems to want to drag history backwards…and deny that a critical reappraisal of our imperial past…is both necessary and overdue.”[4] Another reviewer notes, “Biggar never tries to whitewash the story of colonialism, but he always explains the situation fairly and never avoids making politically incorrect points simply because they are unfashionable.”[5]

Personal Thoughts

I had mixed reactions to Colonialism, as well. His defensive tone was a bit off-putting, but at the same time I appreciated his historical thoroughness and emphasis on the mixed intentions and outcomes of colonial presence in various territories. I also respected the way he recognized and condemned the horrific acts completed under colonial rule.

Biggar set out to write a fairer account of colonialism and many readers believe he has been successful in this endeavor. I wonder, though, can a fair representation of colonialism be possible when atrocities have taken place under that colonial rule? Even if some of the colonists have been well-intended and operated with genuine care toward the original peoples in a land, is it okay to highlight the good, when the bad was so hurtful? Were the after affects more harmful than we have known, as cultures were disrupted and shaped into unnatural living routines and people left to heal themselves without a reasonable map? The task seems nearly impossible. Perhaps we are currently seeing this played out in Haiti.[6] Do not the atrocities far outweigh any positive contributions to a people group? It’s hard to see the positives when the negatives have been so damaging. And so, I wonder, is writing a “fair” response to the anti-colonialists adequate? Is “fair” the approach we need at the moment?

Going Beyond “Fair”

It does seem that some people are focused narrowly on criticizing the establishment and refuse to see anything positive in the colonial “bully.” In my opinion, though their approach is not respectful or completely based on fact, there is some truth in what they are saying. To date, we have not figured out how to healthily acknowledge that truth and as societies, heal from the harms committed and received. It helps to have Biggar’s historical, factual account laid out for us, bringing to light parts of the colonial story that haven’t recently been heard. It doesn’t seem to be enough, though. We need further steps, beyond “fair,” beyond debate: perhaps steps reflecting a willingness to lay down our lives, systems, and familiar routines; and steps developing new language and new paradigms that avoid words and perspectives heavily laden with emotion and varied meanings.

Arriving Uninvited

In addition, I wonder if it could be helpful to focus a discussion on the ramifications of one people group going to another people group uninvited. At worst, we have seen that colonialists ventured to other territories with conquering motives. At best, they went with motives of adventure and a spirit of sharing their gifts and talents. But, isn’t it a problem when people arrive uninvited to “share” their “wisdom,” no matter their motives? The resulting problems seem numerous, complicated, deeply rooted, and deeply harmful.

Conclusion

I am finding some insight once again in my grandma’s wisdom. She didn’t enter into someone’s space uninvited but was respectful and nurtured relationships that offered growth for everyone, including herself. There is much to be said for respecting each other’s humanity and space, receiving and extending invitation, and focusing on mutual growth and appreciation.

Thinking of my grandma tonight and thankful for the lessons she taught me, purposefully and inadvertently. I continue to benefit from her wisdom and vision. Humans are capable of both harmful and life-giving acts, but we can, with much thought, creativity, and care, hold each other to ethical boundaries, making small progress, one generation at a time.

[1] Nigel Biggar, Colonialism: A Moral Reckoning (London, Great Britain: William Collins, 2023), 2.

[2]  Biggar, 7.

[3] Andrew Roberts, “The Upside Of Empire.” National Review, vol. 75, no. 14, 31 July 2023, pp. 43+. Gale Academic OneFile, link.gale.com/apps/doc/A757633112/AONE?u=newb64238&sid=bookmark-AONE&xid=e48637c5, Accessed 14 Mar. 2024.

[4] David Arnold, “In Defence of Empire: A Moral Philosopher Weighs into the Debate,” TLS, the Times Literary Supplement 2023: 11.

[5] Roberts, link.gale.com/apps/doc/A757633112/AONE?u=newb64238&sid=bookmark-AONE&xid=e48637c5.

[6] Harold Isaac, “Calm in Haitian Capital Extends Into Second Day, as US, UN Withdraw Staff,” Reuters, March 13, 2024, www.reuters.com/world/americas/calm-haitian-capital-extends-into-second-day-us-eyes-transition-soon-2024-03-13/.

Jenny Steinbrenner Hale

10 responses to “Colonialism: Grandma Shares Her Wisdom”

1. Kristy Newport says:

Jenny,
    I enjoyed your blog. I liked hearing your thoughts on Biggar but i loved hearing your thoughts on your grandma! It is wonderful that you were able to be in her life while you went to seminary!

I am in an interesting season with both of my daughters engaged. I find myself struggling to hold my tongue. It is so easy to want to assert my thoughts and advice. Oh to be like your grandma!

Wow!:

I am praying that I can be like her! just a little!

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Kristy, Thanks so much for reading and for your comments. It did occur to me that maybe a place where it is appropriate to interject with our opinions, is in the parenting role. This line gets harder and harder to discern, doesn’t it, the older our kids get. Appreciate your thoughts and comments! Praying for us all as we come alongside our adult kids. May God give us wisdom!

2. mm Becca Hald says:

Jenny, your grandmother sounds like a wonderful and wise woman. Thank you for sharing about her.
    You wrote, “Even if some of the colonists have been well-intended and operated with genuine care toward the original peoples in a land, is it okay to highlight the good, when the bad was so hurtful?”
    I think one of the most powerful and underrated words in the English language is the word AND. There were good things from colonialism AND there were bad things. I can be depressed AND know that God is with me. I can be mad at my husband AND still love him. Living in the dichotomy of opposing beliefs or experiences is powerful. I think learning to acknowledge the AND in situations makes all the difference. As they saying goes, “don’t through out the baby with the bathwater.”

• mm David Beavis says:

I echo Becca’s thoughts here. We struggle with the nuance of “AND.” I do wonder at what point we shift from “AND” (colonialism under the British Empire was good AND bad – whether you agree or not, this is Biggar’s contention) to simply recognizing an empire as solely evil (such as Nazism and Stalinism). Any thoughts on this one? Definitely a loaded question here.

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Hi David, Thanks for reading. Wow, this is a great question! I’m just thinking off the top of my head. If any harm was done, I wonder if it is ever ok to maintain the “and” approach until the harm is addressed? Perhaps we just need to come at this from another angle. If there is harm, it needs to be addressed fully, with no mention of anything else that can possibly be seen as positive contributions on the part of the abuser, until the pain is addressed. It just seems like in the light of pain, there is no room for defending the one who caused the pain. I wonder if the ideas of restorative justice could be helpful?

Thank you for pushing me to think further on this. I could write much more at the moment, but I’m trying to keep my answer somewhat brief and I have so much more learning to do on these ideas.

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Hi Becca, Thanks for reading and for your comments. I agree with you that “and” is powerful and a needed word in a world that so often wants to divide and take sides. In this situation, though, I guess I was thinking that if we really want to get to a place of mutual healing and healthy relationship, we need to come at this differently than laying out the “facts” and defending what we think is “our” cause. Right there, we’re showing our “us and them” approach. The truth is that great damage was done through colonialism and people are still hurting. How can we best address that? I think one thing that bothered me about Biggar’s book is that he’s defending Great Britain, but he’s not working toward healing. I don’t think his approach is going to bring us closer to healing.

I have so much more thinking to do on this. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and giving me another opportunity to try to “write myself” into a place of better understanding, even for myself. I appreciate you!

3. mm Chad McSwain says:

Hi Jenny,
    Great post – I liked reading about your grandmother and imagined the way you had to invite her to share her opinions.
    I am also mixed on Beggar’s work. It seems as if he is arguing that Britain is being unfairly blamed for historical events when it is the way that nations operate. I dod appreciate the nuance he is trying to bring to the conversation. Based on life experience, I can believe that is how most of this history has played out.
    With all this complexity, I would welcome the prayerful wisdom of your grandmother on this topic – one generation at a time.

• Jenny Steinbrenner Hale says:

Hi Chad, Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. Your words have me thinking: “Based on life experience, I can believe that is how most of this history has played out.” We really need to find some new ways at approaching the harms committed throughout history, don’t we? Hoping we can continue to get better and better in our lifetime and that others will continue getting better beyond us!

See you tomorrow!

4. mm Daron George says:

Jenny,

This was everything for me “She didn’t enter into someone’s space uninvited but was respectful and nurtured relationships that offered growth for everyone, including herself. There is much to be said for respecting each other’s humanity and space, receiving and extending invitation, and focusing on mutual growth and appreciation.” Your grandma…just so wise!